Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Blindside movie was a fraud

Comments

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched the movie and thought it was a good story I reckon. But, if the story turns out to be bs and there's bad intentions in there, then, justice needs to be done. Not sure why this is a controversy, who are the Tuohys besides this?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

can’t wait for the “You can’t take anything at face value” crowd to take this drivel at face value

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand all that. My point was, hes claiming that an attorney gave him that information. If that's true, then it should be easy to clear up by lawyer testimony or in any of the court filings.

I'm not giving either side the benefit of the doubt. What I am saying is the claims should be easy enough to prove or disprove either way.

• Options
    edited August 2023

The attorney was also a close personal friend which makes me think it wasn’t on the up and up. Same attorney also acted as his agent for the film while the Tuohy family got a legit agency to represent them

• Options
    RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Anybody got a copy of Oher's 2011 book "I beat the odds"? Jason Whitlock says he talks about the conservatorship in the book meaning he'd have known for at least 12 years. Should be pretty easy to see if this is true or not that the book discusses the conservatorship. If it is true, it pretty blows this **** out of the water.

• Options

Lmao no it doesn’t. You are desperately grasping at straws. Here is what he wrote in the 2011 memoir:

“They explained to me that it means pretty much the exact same thing as ‘adoptive parents’, but that the laws were just written in a way that took my age into account.”

This is entirely consistent with the lawsuit Oher just filed as well as the falsehoods about adult adoption Sean Tuohy continues to say.

• Options
    edited August 2023

I didn't say it did or it didn't and am not grasping at anything. I haven’t read the book, so I was asking. Are you telling me the word "conservator" does not appear in the book?

• Options

The “lmao no it doesn’t” was in response to you saying his prior writings on the conservatorship would blow his current lawsuit out of the water. This was obvious to anyone with a shred of reading comprehension. A huge part of the current lawsuit revolves around the deception the Tuohys used to conflate a conservatorship with adoption

• Options
    edited August 2023

So does the book mention the conservatorship or not? It's a simple question, if I buy the book, will I find that word in there?

• Options
    Dawg14Dawg14 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

Foresight meaning that they would make a movie earning them significant money. But there are a ton guys that don't go to the NFL. I've read the article, but there are also articles out there that say he got paid for the movie. It's very strange.

And no movie doesn't happen without him. That wasn't the point and I didn't take a side. Said I'd wait to hear what else came out. He could definitely be a victim here.

• Options

how dumb are you? I just said he did. Here I’ll add in the extra sentence since you are struggling so hard to comprehend.

“Since I was already over the age of eighteen and considered an adult by the stated of Tennessee, Sean and Leigh Anne would be named as my ‘legal conservators.’ They explained to me it means pretty much the exact same thing as ‘adoptive parents,’ but that the laws were just written in a way that took my age into account.”

is this enough for you to understand?

• Options
    edited August 2023

Okay, so this whole bit about him just learning about the conservatorship in February 2023, as reported in The Athletic is an obvious lie.

And the 2011 book does acknowledge that he knew it was a conservatorship. Nice try avoiding that very simple question. Do you have a link to the actual petition? I am preparing for a jury trial starting Monday but will circle back to this when I have more time.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Should be pretty easy to figure out who made how much money off of all this. Mike assumes a lot of money was made and not given to him. The Tuohy's said there wasn't. That will be easy to prove. The part about how he was portrayed....take that issue up with the movie producers. Pretty sure the Touhy's had no control over that. Hollywood is famous for just making stuff up (don't let the truth get in the way of a good story).

If the conservatorship persisted till just recently, wouldn't the Touhy's have had control over Mike's NFL contracts and all endorsement deals? Here's a definition of conservatorship "conservatorship is the appointment of a guardian or a protector by a judge to manage the financial affairs and/or daily life of another person" I assume the NFL would not be able to sign a contract with Mike without their consent and approval. I am reserving judgement, but I have a feeling Mike is going to end up looking bad in this.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Conservatorship instead of adoption means he doesn’t get to inherit their wealth either.

• Options

It is pretty funny watching you flail about trying to spin a narrative because the facts don’t support your uninformed bias. Let’s one again go through your points and how bad they are as well as the facts and questions of the lawsuit:

1. I answered your simple question about the conservatorship in the first response. You just pretended I didn’t because it was the best you had.
    2. One of the central claims of the lawsuit is the great lengths the Tuohys went to the portray their conservatorship over Oher as an adoption deceiving both Oher and the general public.
    3. Oher discussing the conservatorship over a decade ago doesn’t end his case. He believed the Tuohys false claims that it would grant him a legal familial relationship. The Tuohys have promoted their supposed adoption for well over a decade now as well. He is just now finding out that it did not grant a familial relationship. That is the new revelation not that he was in a conservatorship at all. You’re essentially arguing that fraud in the inducement shouldn’t be a crime.
    4. To be placed under a conservatorship, you have to be incapacitated in some way to the point you cannot handle your own affairs. This typically involves some sort of mental disability which does not seem to be the case for Oher meaning the conservatorship was improper from the beginning.
    5. Tennessee requires Conservators to file annual financial reports on behalf of their wards. Oher and his attorneys have not seen these reports and believe the Tuohys have violated the conservatorship by not actually filing them.
    6. The same family friend that wrote the conservatorship for the Tuohys also acted as Oher’s agent for the movie while the rest of the Tuohys were represented by an actual agency. This is awfully strange for people that have claimed they love Oher like a son and adopted him into the family.
    7. The Tuohys have made very specific claims for why the put Oher into a conservatorship which just don’t check out. You can adopt someone over the age 18. It’s very easy to do in Tennessee. The NCAA wasn’t going to let Michael play if he wasn’t part of their family. Easy enough just adopt him since you love him so much. No reason he would need to relinquish his decision making abilities to play college football at Ole Miss. They’ve said they don’t make money off the film via royalties which is also not true.

It is hard to believe that anyone could look at this situation and immediately side with the Tuohys and vilify Oher

• Options

Yeah I have a feeling that’s one of the other reasons they didn’t want to adopt.