Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

“Are you ready for some [Braves] baseball!?”

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't wait!

They were hysterical the first time together....didn't even know what was going on in the game....didn't care!!

Go Braves!

• Options

Morton wins….another shutout for the Braves against those “lousy, stinking Mets “!

Dang, these Braves are good!

Magic number v. the Phillies is now 24, I believe!

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going into last nights game Ronald Acuna:

Was hitting .333 at home and .333 on the road

He had 14 homers at home and 14 homers on the road

He had 39 RBI's at home and 39 RBI's on the road.

29 steals at home anyone wanna guess how many steals on the road?

A: 29

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bdw3184 14 k's, 11 by Morton in seven innings of work for the 7-0 shut out.

Pretty interesting career Charlie Morton. Looked up his bio. Started his career pitching 6 seasons in the minors. Started his career in the Majors with the Bravos in 2008 and went on to pitch with 4 other teams, before rejoining the Braves in 2020.

Part of two World Series winning squads: the Astros and the Braves. He is 39 and will turn 40 in November.

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coincidental and basically meaningless. Though it does show his game works anywhere.

Just one of those weird quirks where it all lined up.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Playing the Giants in Frisco. At one of the coolest parks in the Majors: AT&T Park, now Oracle Park. Love the back drop of San Francisco Bay and McCovey Cove. Rated the second best ball Park in Baseball (Ray's Park Tropicanna Field the worst).

And finally the higher-ups decided to televise some Braves games: this afternoon on FS1 and tomorrow night on ESPN.

• Options

Back in the day, my dad took me out of school to the first ever game played by the Giants when they moved to SF. It was pretty cool, knowing all my friends were sitting in chemistry class.

Also got to go the first night game they played in SF. Against the Cubbies. Ernie Banks went very, very deep in that game. Fond memories.

• Options

Candlestick Park was a tough place to hit home runs in, especially at night. Cold and windy. Allegedly, the winds would blow in at night and when they attempted to correct it by closing in the open part of the outfield, it caused the winds to swirl and made it even worse.

Back in the 80's when I watched a lot of Braves games (and when they probably televised 150 games a year), I can remember Skip Caray and his broadcasting partner dressed in heavy trench coats and saying "just a terrible night for baseball."

• Options

Windy? I remember when Stu Miller ( a little guy) was actually blown off the mound in Candlestick. I'm sure there are films of it somewhere. Might have been in an all-star game.

• Options

40 games over .500 going into today’s game!

Unstoppable!

Magic number to be the division winner in the NL East is now 21…. with 34 games to go counting today!

• Options
    edited August 2023

In last night's loss to the Giants, Giants bottom of the fifth. Shuster pitching. Flyout, single, double, strikeout. Enter McHugh. Oh no!

Walk, bases loaded walk, bases-clearing double.

I've seen this movie before. We bring in McHugh to get the final out in an inning. In a tight game. And he can't throw strikes. Some pitches not even close. On a 3-1 count, the ball is a foot outside. It's just unbelievable.

• Options

Yeah, that is life in the bullpen. Ours has been up and down - mostly up - lately and this was not a good performance. But it is only one loss and, as always, the baseball gods give the Braves another chance to be great right away.

• Options

A minor hiccup, guys...

Braves play the worst team in the NL starting tonight for a three game stretch.

Good practice for the games in LA this weekend!

Go Braves!

• Options

@donniem Yeah. I got no complaints with our other relievers. The set up guys and the closers have been fantastic. And our starting pitching has been great too.

Just kind of irks me when you take out the starting pitcher with two on and two out and you can't throw strikes. It's like there is something wrong with his mechanics.

Starting Pitcher Shuster throws the change-up too. And many of his patches dropped out of the strike zone just like McHugh's. The difference was that Shuster's pitches must have looked like strikes to the hitters and McHugh's never did.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need a sweep and a series win, or vice-versa, to close August and take us in to September.

• Options

I've been amazed at how focused the Braves continue to be with a hug lead in the NL East. They are almost guaranteed a playoff spot but keep grinding. Snit says it isn't him - it's the players self-motivating themselves. Hope they don't ever hit that pause button - it's tough to get the start button pushed again.