Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who should be the next basketball coach at uga ? Is Hugh Durham still alive?

cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

I wish Billy Tubbs was still out there . who would you get? Would you try to coax someone out of retirement ?who would that be?I think I would try to get a guy who would turn up the tempo a little .

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I assume we don't pay McGarity for his looks and sparkling personality.
    He needs to prove he has the judgement to pick the right man to lead our basketball program.
    If I was the right man to find that coach I'd be the guy making the call.
    If McGarity can't make the right hires, which to date he hasn't displayed he can, maybe he should be fired along with Fox.

• cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think in all honesty ,I would try to bring in a Tim floyd at a utep,Bob Hoffman at mercer ,a Don Monson who coached at Idaho and Minn. A Tom Creen Indiana and Marquette .A thad Matta Ohio state.even try to land a Cliff Ellis Auburn and clemson or a Rick Pittino .

I really like that idea of a Jim Chaney. But I think I would go after a young lion in Chris Hack could work to ..

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't really keep up with college basketball, except for Georgia games. Maybe Jeff Capel from Duke or another top assistant at a big-time program.

• CoachChadCoachChad Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Chris Beard Texas Tech would be choice number one for me.
    Kelvin Sampson would second but it would be short term since he is 62 years old.
    His "NCAA issues" are not even against the rules anymore to tell how screwed up they are

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@cfc136 said:
    I think in all honesty ,I would try to bring in a Tim floyd at a utep,Bob Hoffman at mercer ,a Don Monson who coached at Idaho and Minn. A Tom Creen Indiana and Marquette .A thad Matta Ohio state.even try to land a Cliff Ellis Auburn and clemson or a Rick Pittino .

I especially like your last two - both NCAA stalwarts.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do we have any former players who are coaching now?

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

a young, hungry and ambitious person...eager to build something from the ground up...Capel may expect more support/commitment from uga. Most of these avail upper tier coaches want program support just as much as an upper tier paycheck. Uga has to show that prioritization "keeping it real"....we are looking for a guy looking to build a name...rather than an established name. We are a stepping stone bball program right now. What Uga does not need is a known mediocre name to satiate fans ....as He rides out his career in mediocrity .

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who was that guy at UCLA? Wooden, or something like that.....

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@3rdshift said:
    a young, hungry and ambitious person...eager to build something from the ground up...Capel may expect more support/commitment from uga. Most of these avail upper tier coaches want program support just as much as an upper tier paycheck. Uga has to show that prioritization "keeping it real"....we are looking for a guy looking to build a name...rather than an established name. We are a stepping stone bball program right now. What Uga does not need is a known mediocre name to satiate fans ....as He rides out his career in mediocrity .

Fox was supposed to be that young, hungry coach, this will clearly come down to the person making the hire being a good judge of ability. I haven't seen anything remotely special about McGarity.

• abigale19abigale19 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Chris Jans New Mexico St or Steve Forbes East Tenn St, both have turned those two programs around. They both have won everywhere they have been. Watched both of them dominate one of the toughest JUCO conferences and states when they were at Chipola and NW FL State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Forbes_(basketball)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Jans

Who could they sign as head coach ,that you would want to watch first game?In other words get you excited enough ,to think basketball would not just get back to the ncaa's but go for deep runs .

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

@PTDawg said:
    In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

We ain't getting Capel. He's the coach in waiting at Duke. Coach K is 70 now and won't be around all that much longer.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@PTDawg said:

We ain't getting Capel. He's the coach in waiting at Duke. Coach K is 70 now and won't be around all that much longer.

Probably true. Was just trying to think of someone who would be a splash for recruits and would generate fan excitement.

@PTDawg said:

@donm said:

@PTDawg said:

Probably true. Was just trying to think of someone who would be a splash for recruits and would generate fan excitement.

I just can't see us getting a big name coach. As some have already stated, it would take a major commitment on the part of the administration (AD as well as president) and I don't see that happening. Why would an already successful, big name coach want to come to UGA without that type of assurance? That leaves us with "bright, up and coming young coaches" and that is, of course, always a gamble. Coach Fox was just that sort of guy when hired. There have been a couple of interesting options mentioned on this thread and someone who really knows basketball might have a couple more. I'm not sure if our AD is a guy who really knows basketball. UF got Mike White who was, I think, at Southern Miss and he's done well. So it can be done. BUT...UF had a well known program and their admin is clearly behind it.

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just give Dominique Wilkins whatever he wants to get him to leave the Hawks, and come back to his
    Alma mater.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shaka smart or an energetic young coach. He’s only making 3 million at Texas and stalling out.

Put him near Atlanta and watch him recruit like crazy.