Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who should be the next basketball coach at uga ? Is Hugh Durham still alive?

124»

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Thad Matta or bust

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    Here’s the dilemma: we need a good recruiter who can compete with the biggest programs for in-state talent. However, to do that, one has to cheat and dance with the AAU crew, both of which will have us put on probation again. So, we look for a solid coach who has integrity and can win by working hard - and so we have Mark Fox. Until we see how, if at all, all of the FBI stuff reshapes the paradigm of college basketball, it’s going to be hard to know what kind of coach to hire. How do you compete when teams like Louisville, KY and UNC get away with so much sketchy behavior while schools like Auburn, Alabama and Tenn out and out cheat?

The AAU era is either over or soon will be.
    It's not like clean programs don't compete for titles as it is either.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whether you want Pitino or not, you’ve got to remember he’s already 65 years old and comes with a lot of baggage (and I don’t just mean around his eyes).

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think with opposing teams questioning our stellar class in football (which doesn’t have any validity) that adding Pitino would only add fuel to the fire.

So people think we are cheating in football bc we did the same thing Bama has been doing for 7yrs now? It’s not like we didn’t get top 10 recruiting classes every yr.. Football recruiting has nothing to do with our basketball team.. I think personally it will be hard for any coach to win here unless they can bring some excitement to the program... Only coach that does that is Rick but he comes with way to much baggage for any university to hire him...

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:
    Here’s the dilemma: we need a good recruiter who can compete with the biggest programs for in-state talent. However, to do that, one has to cheat and dance with the AAU crew, both of which will have us put on probation again. So, we look for a solid coach who has integrity and can win by working hard - and so we have Mark Fox. Until we see how, if at all, all of the FBI stuff reshapes the paradigm of college basketball, it’s going to be hard to know what kind of coach to hire. How do you compete when teams like Louisville, KY and UNC get away with so much sketchy behavior while schools like Auburn, Alabama and Tenn out and out cheat?

The AAU era is either over or soon will be.
    It's not like clean programs don't compete for titles as it is either.

i disagree that AAU will end...it will be around in some form or fashion as long as there is pro $ bball..they may repackage it...but its just a very efficient way to eval talent. Think of it as a d league they don't have to pay for..... I think its hilarious that we still refer to this as amateur athletics.... greed will always push guys to find a way to get wins...winning=$...hope the new guy can do well.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

100% agree and made a post about an article on the home page stating most fans want to see this happen. High level overview of my opinion. Keep anything and anyone away from athletics that would potentially give the NCAA a reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill that may eventually turn into a mountain.

• cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cfc136 said:
    Thad Mata

I scoffed at this idea a couple of weeks back, but it seems a lot more possible now. Someone is going to get this guy and why not UGA. He has a good record of winning and seems, at a cursory glance, to have done it with no major infractions. I think it will take a great sales job by McGarity to get him though.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:

@PTDawg said:
    In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

Capel did nothing with Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. Very overrated in my mind. Better assistant than HC material.

They went 30-6....That's not too shabby. I'd take that at UGA

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:

@Kasey said:
    Jim Chaney

Dick Cheney

Richard Cheney

• PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Lets pray that UGA throws the cash at Matta and we shouldn't have an issue. He may be able to bring our 5 star decommit back...

• TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

@donm said:

@PTDawg said:
    In terms of name recognition an excitement, Capel would be a big pull but I'm not sure if we could get him, honestly without some major steps clearly indicating our commitment to the basketball program.

We ain't getting Capel. He's the coach in waiting at Duke. Coach K is 70 now and won't be around all that much longer.

Most Say that John Scheyer is the future of of Duke's program of the coaches currently on his bench. Capel has proven he is a great recruiter, and a terrible coach. He was given his chance at the top level and blew it at Oklahoma. Relates to recruits, but not the sharpest tool in the shed

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Thad Mata doesn’t work out,
    I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Earl Grant (Charleston).

He has done well there and has the benefit of youth.

He is also a Southerner and played at Georgia College which could help in recruiting this region.