Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New basketball coach - Coach Crean

greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like we have our man. Good recruiter, winning in the tournament, and he knows basketball. We did well in getting him, and now it’s time to recruit and get behind the team.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Hoped for Matta, but I think he will do well. I'm somewhere on this board talking smack, but maybe with lower expectations (compared to Indiana) he should be fine

• Options

Multiple reports out saying it is done. Details not yet released, but deal is similar to what was offered to Matta.

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well I be darn. ! This NOT good...

We panicked and settled for this guy.

Can we get a new AD? He's old and senile. I'm just sick of this crap. If Crean was so good why was he still out of a job.

Holy Crap

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

Crean has won at least 20 games exactly 50% of the seasons he's been a HC.
    I don't see us winning titles, but he's likely a big step up and he knows how to coach offense.

• Options
    UGAKev25UGAKev25 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

It is a solid hire. The key will be getting the players. This is one reason why I think we should try to keep Jonas Hayes on board. He has got rave reviews from good recruits and knows the state.

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    Crean has won at least 20 games exactly 50% of the seasons he's been a HC.
    I don't see us winning titles, but he's likely a big step up and he knows how to coach offense.

Then why pay him all that money when we could get someone else. That's the problem with our culture...we settle for mediocrity

• Options

@Teddy said:
    We should let him coach and recruit a few seasons before we determine how he’ll do. It’s not like we are currently at a Kentucky level or anything. Nor is there a plethora of coaches with a decent track record available.

I agree, but he does have enough of a record to make an educated guess that he'll do well but likely not great.
    He landed 1 player ranked 5 stars 5 straight years from 2011 thru 2015 at Indiana, none since. Can he match or exceed that at UGA ?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This guy was the one who found Dwayne Wade. He knows how to fine talent. Give him a little time. This is a much easier school to recruit to than Indiana. Also being in a hotbed of talent like Georgia is things will be better for him. He has a few NBA stars that he put into the league and he can hang his hat on D-Wade.

There was no panick because he did interview or meet with UGA official before Matta was offered the job so he was plan B from the start.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    This guy was the one who found Dwayne Wade. He knows how to fine talent. Give him a little time. This is a much easier school to recruit to than Indiana. Also being in a hotbed of talent like Georgia is things will be better for him. He has a few NBA stars that he put into the league and he can hang his hat on D-Wade.

There was no panick because he did interview or meet with UGA official before Matta was offered the job so he was plan B from the start.

We become a better school to recruits for than IU, but in B.B. we are not yet.

• Options
    edited March 2018

He also had a record limited by inheriting a program at Indiana on NCAA probation for his first three years. After that, he went to the tournament Four of the next six years. Some of you who are upset would likely have criticized a younger coach as an unproven no-name. Let’s get behind him and the program. We are headed upward from here.

• Options

@coastaldawg said:
    Whether or not you like the hire, you have to give it to the decision makers for going after the coaches that most people considered the top names available. With the money spent on the basketball facilities and Crean's salary, the university is showing a bigger commitment to the basketball program. Hope Crean can live up to expectations and make UGA basketball a factor in the SEC.

Honestly some of the best hires come in as lower profile coaches.
    I'd hope our leadership gives far less weight to name recognition than fans do.
    The name recognition will come with winning.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:

I'd be surprised if UGA is an easier sell than Indiana when it comes to men's basketball. The Hoosiers have quite a history in the sport.

• Options

I'd be surprised if UGA is an easier sell than Indiana when it comes to men's basketball. The Hoosiers have quite a history in the sport.

May be true, but the SEC is on the rise and GA has more talent than Indiana. This isn’t the 70s, and Bobby Knight is long gone. Anyway, there’s no question UGA has to climb out of the grave, but it can be done quickly with a good class or two. Let’s hope this hire is a winner.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:

Wade wasn't obscure coming out of HS, his problem was academics. Most schools wanted him to qualify before offering. He didn't play at all his first year at Marquette because he was ineligible.
    What I like best about Crean other than just adding cache to the program is his ability to coach offense. We'll be a lot more competent and fun to watch with possession of the ball.

• Options

A lot of love for Crean and UGA in the national media tonight. Bold predictions and talk of him being a top-3 coach in the SEC. I hope they’re correct. Feeling optimistic...

• Options
    andycappsandycapps Posts: 292 ✭✭✭ Junior

The alternative to Crean was going the mid-major route like we did with Dennis Felton and Mark Fox. How did that go for UGA?

Crean is probably the closest thing you can get to a home run hire. He's won more games in the tournament than UGA has in it's entire history. I understand giving McGarity a hard time but I don't think this choice could be faulted.

Earl Grant at Charleston or Ron Hunter at Georgia State would have been other options but again, down the mid-major route which carries its own risks.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

ad botched the public rejection with that other guy...Is this a step up from fox?...or just a new guy...meh...meanwhile.... bring on the trailer park boys memes