Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Netflix review: Hitler and the Nazis: Evil on Trial

Comments

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most people are not aware Japanese Generals committed acts of cannibalism during WWII. I won't go into detail, but they ate the flesh of American and British prisoners, because they believed it gave them special strength and powers. Additionally, on Papua New Guinea because of an American naval blockade the Japanese navy wasn't able to resupply Japanese troops, so they were left there to starve. When skirmishes occurred and an American soldier was killed the Japanese would drag the body over to their line and well…

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

I watched the second episode early this morning. It was very interesting to find out that even with the depression that Hilter and the Nazi party lost multiple elections, and that their attempt at taking control by force failed too. He was able to negotiate his way into power as Chancellor with elected leaders (Von Hindenburg) who thought they could control and use him. It was years and years of repeated propaganda, marketing, and rehearsed/staged speaking, along with the eventual conditioning of the elite's children that slowly won over and brainwashed the German people.

I was also interested to learn that his leadership style of presenting nebulous concepts to his cabinet who were responsible for crafting the power-mongering programs based on those concepts and the means of executing. I always assumed he was the sick mind behind it all, but really there were a bunch of other sick minds feeding the Nazi monster.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,878 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Crazy attracts crazy I guess. None of the defendants showed any remorse at the trial. They were all-in just like Hitler and sincerely thought they were doing the right thing for the Motherland, and the world as a whole. I kind of assumed that Hitler was a raging tyrant and his Generals and inner-circle advisors were simply too afraid to stop any of it. Turns out they were just as devoted to the cause as he was.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

I haven't watched it and probably won't. I did a LOT of research on school on the Nazi's rise to power and the things that they did, trying to understand how people that were for the most part, well educated members of an modern civilization could commit such large scale horror. Like I said I did a LOT of research to the point that my sleep was haunted by nightmares for years. It a very deep rabbit hole the more I learned the worst it got and I don't think I more than scratched the surface. And the Japanese were just as bad just not as organized.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That response is definitely an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, there. 😁

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CD - Ah, you are referring to the need for self-awareness and I couldn't agree more. To understand the why of our beliefs is so important. Especially, in these days of division.

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

I had to look up Dunning-Kruger …

The Dunning-Kruger effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skill in a certain area causes them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also drives those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, leading them to underestimate their abilities.

So is Kasey over estimating his competency or underestimating it @CigarDawg ?

😁

The fact that this term, has a double meaning makes is something really fun I plan to use in the future… all kinds of nuggets come from this forum!

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, my lack of skill/knowledge in playing the violin leads me to overestimate my own competence in that area. Doesn't sound like me. I believe I would under-estimate it - my teacher thinks I've made great progress - I tend to focus on how slow the grind is and how inept I feel most of the time. What am I missing here?

• Options

Is it like those people on American Idol who are terrible singers and don't make it past the first round but are convinced they are really, really good?

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I equate it to my singing in the shower. I'm really amazing.…and then I'm not, lol

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My understanding of Dunning Kruger is it fools people who have a sliver of knowledge in a subject that they are experts. Lots of this on YouTube just go look.

When a freshman psychology student begins studying psychology. They will immediately have a feeling they know everything there is to know about the subject. Dunning Kruger is getting stuck here. When that same student continues their studies they will quickly realize they don't know anything and there is so much more to go.

There is literally a sweet spot where very little knowledge is worse than no knowledge at all.

• Options
  • Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 14

The general principle that was uncovered in the study was that, on the whole, people are not good at assessing themselves objectively, missing by both over- and under-estimating themselves depending on the circumstances. Those who lack real competency do it because they do not understand what competency looks like in a given subject area (metacognition).

I cannot be guilty of this because it is impossible to overstate my level of incompetency in most things. 😂