Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Netflix review: Hitler and the Nazis: Evil on Trial

13»

Comments

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was a network engineer at one point in my IT career. I got my CCNA and thought I knew everything there was to know about networking. Then I started studying for the CCNP exam. I quickly realized I didn't know anything but the basics and was just a beginner.

People with Dunning Kruger just get the CCNA and stop. Thinking they know everything about networking. They never dive deeper to realize they don't.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, your explanation makes me curious about how expert violinists- those at the absolute top of their profession - see themselves. It's reported that a young student asked Pablo Casals why, at the age of 92, he continued to practice 4 hours per day. His response, "I think I see some improvement". Very interesting stuff. Confidence is so important in many fields but false or misplaced confidence or undeserved confidence is…. bad ?

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 14

I am just a curious reader on this for the past several years, so I am not asserting that my understanding is the absolute correct one. The actual researchers have said it is often misunderstood or applied, so please read my posts with that caveat.

As far as the subjects that performed in the highest quartile, an interpretation that was given was that those people did not see themselves as more gifted than anyone else and assumed their levels of performance to be more common than they actually were instead of being in reality much higher than the sample population overall. Like your example, those people have a high metacognitive awareness of the traits of excellence and recognize even small areas where they fall short.

Another perhaps oversimplified take is that this study shows why idiots with "unearned" confidence end up in charge of things instead of mostly the objectively smart and competent people. You can tell a smart person how smart they are and they might no believe you, but a moron cannot comprehend how that can be true of them 😁

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate