Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I’m just gonna say it..

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@a_rattler said:
    This is funny. You want Fields ro be more concerned with UGA's best interests than his own. When UGA doesn't need him and can just replace him.

The Fields situation was totally mishandled. It was a wasted year. He should have either been redshirted or been given meaningful chances to develop as a passer during the MANY garbage time moments that UGA had this season.

What does Fields owe UGA anyway? Especially when UGA reserves the right to terminate his scholarship at any time? Schools do it all the time
    Scholarships are not guaranteed. They are renewed on an annual basis. So when you read about kids in good academic standing and aren't problems off the field transferring to some FCS school in the middle of nowhere and thanking the university and fan base for the opportunity that is often what is going on. It is just that some schools are more open about it than others.

You need to remember who has all the money, power and leverage in college athletics. Hint: it isn't the players. Kids who don't look out for their own best interests are naive. Because trust me: the universities will still be fine and the coaches will still get their millions even if they get fired. What is Chizik's buyout again?

If you look out for your own best interests when dealing with your own affairs why act shocked when athletes do the same?

What if he didn't want to redshirt? What if the mishandling was due to pressures from the Felicia camp? That seems very plausible to me.

Fair point. But if UGA was going to play him they did it horribly. They just used him on garbage running plays.

I disagree. He got normal backup QB opportunities...he just chose to do his own thing and run instead of staying int he pocket and throwing. Dude was on the field plenty...he just doesn't seem to know the playbook and can't read a defense.

Here's how I envision the situation:

Coach: "Ok, Justin, I'm putting you in. Take a look at the defense, stay in the pocket, and go through your progressions. Don't run unless you absolutely need to. You came here to become a pocket passer. This is what they do."

Fields: "Ok coach"

Ball is snapped, Fields looks at one receiver....panics and runs for 3 yards.

Coach: "get his ass out of there, put Fromm back in!"

• Options

@MarkBoknecht said:

@superblackeagle said:
    Is Haskins declaring?

I heard on the SEC channel that he is. And the #1 QB prospect.

He's a true sophomore, isn't he?

• Options
    a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@BEACHDAWG said:
    Fields is going to Ohio State, especially after that flip. His lawyer is going to drag UGA through the mud (Sasser) after a waiver. Fields is putting a lot of pressure on himself, hope he can handle it.

Go from sitting behind Fromm to sitting behind Haskins. Good decision, Justin (if the rumor is true). Hope you enjoy holding the clipboard for a while longer.

Heisman finalist Haskins wont play past next year. Fromm, who at most was the 3rd best QB in the SEC last year, will.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@pgjackson said:

@BEACHDAWG said:
    Fields is going to Ohio State, especially after that flip. His lawyer is going to drag UGA through the mud (Sasser) after a waiver. Fields is putting a lot of pressure on himself, hope he can handle it.

Go from sitting behind Fromm to sitting behind Haskins. Good decision, Justin (if the rumor is true). Hope you enjoy holding the clipboard for a while longer.

Heisman finalist Haskins wont play past next year. Fromm, who at most was the 3rd best QB in the SEC last year, will.

Lolololololkolollllol

• Options
    joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2018

Not saying I’m happy about his decision , but there’s NO WAY IN H E L -L does his FAMILY owe US any kind of explanation or a lay over excuse .

THEY can make any decision they want , and there’s wayyyyy too many emotional adults in here being disrespectful . . . . . I ensure you they don’t give a DARN about what we think ; (these are the same parents that switch PARK teams so THEY can coach their kids ). How many of YOU never ever switched teams before in rec/aau league?

Sit back and enjoy UGA FOOTBALL, and less of JUSTIN’s PERSONAL LIFE !!

Would be completely different if the tables were turned around , you’d be BEGGING him to come to UGA with open arms for a sophomore yr IF he had gone anywhere else .

@scooterdawg said:
    F*ck Justin Fields. He’s not coming back and I question anyone who would still want him. Yeah, he probably only affected Haselwood directly but thanks to him our program in two days has gone from we’re right there with Bama and are going to close strong and are nationally getting GOOD buzz to this: still have a great class but momentum was absolutely submarined and all the national media can talk about in regards to UGA is where this overhyped primadonna is going to transfer to.

Make all the excuses but I don’t really care anymore unless someone can explain to me how difficult it would have been for the Fields family to try to minimize this. Giving them the absolute benefit of the doubt at best they were in serious talks with other schools and it came out. It’s true that we don’t know HOW it got out and it may not have been them..

But, and this is a big one, since it came out they have done absolutely nothing to try to minimize the damage to UGA. The story comes out officially(Wolken) at around 3pm iirc and the first comment they make hours later that night was his stepmom telling Chip: “We’re not at liberty to discuss anything,” Jo Ann Claudrick Fields said via telephone Monday night. “We’re not confirming or denying anything. We have not made any decisions.”. Way to put out the fire there lady. And his mom says talk to Pablo who we’ve yet to hear anything out of.

So what I’m asking is how hard would it have been for them to send out a tweet saying “We’d like to thank the fans, coaches, etc but Justin is currently weighing his options and please respect our privacy”? Know why it only took me like two seconds to come up with that? Because it’s pretty much boilerplate for anyone who’s rumored to be transferring. Or they could have done any number of things to try to clear up or at least cool down the incessant rumor mill. I’m sure any reporter including Chip would be happy to sit down with them, probably with conditions on what they can ask or say, or any number of lawyers or PR people would have done it pro bono.

But they have by all appearances been fine with letting UGA twist in the wind, either on purpose or because they just don’t care because it’s all about their kid. Either way if you’re still sticking up for him I think it’s misguided at best. I’m thinking he and JH both look up to Cam a bit too much. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@PerroGrande said:

@BEACHDAWG said:

Fields is leaving the perfect setup imho. Frustration usually leads to emotionally driven, bad decisions. How many times has the situation looked totally different after another year? UGA has the top O Line for the next few years. The position players are outstanding. We probably don't have a scholarship QB for year after next, until these recruits show up. Man, that is passing up quite a stage.

Fromm is going to be a 4 year starter. And Fields has no assurances that he will redshirt. DJ Shockley 2.0

We could hope that, as UGA fans, but what makes you think that? Fromm was the obvious Pro style QB in the SECCG by a mile ahead of both Tua and Jalen. Who else is going to steal his first round slot next year?

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@joe_rush45 said:
    Not saying I’m happy about his decision , but there’s NO WAY IN H E L -L does his FAMILY owe US any kind of explanation or a lay over excuse .

THEY can make any decision they want , and there’s wayyyyy too many emotional adults in here being disrespectful . . . . . I ensure you they don’t give a DARN about what we think ; (these are the same parents that switch PARK teams so THEY can coach their kids ). How many of YOU never ever switched teams before in rec/aau league?

Sit back and enjoy UGA FOOTBALL, and less of JUSTIN’s PERSONAL LIFE !!

Would be completely different if the tables were turned around , you’d be BEGGING him to come to UGA with open arms for a sophomore yr IF he had gone anywhere else .

@scooterdawg said:
    F*ck Justin Fields. He’s not coming back and I question anyone who would still want him. Yeah, he probably only affected Haselwood directly but thanks to him our program in two days has gone from we’re right there with Bama and are going to close strong and are nationally getting GOOD buzz to this: still have a great class but momentum was absolutely submarined and all the national media can talk about in regards to UGA is where this overhyped primadonna is going to transfer to.

Make all the excuses but I don’t really care anymore unless someone can explain to me how difficult it would have been for the Fields family to try to minimize this. Giving them the absolute benefit of the doubt at best they were in serious talks with other schools and it came out. It’s true that we don’t know HOW it got out and it may not have been them..

But, and this is a big one, since it came out they have done absolutely nothing to try to minimize the damage to UGA. The story comes out officially(Wolken) at around 3pm iirc and the first comment they make hours later that night was his stepmom telling Chip: “We’re not at liberty to discuss anything,” Jo Ann Claudrick Fields said via telephone Monday night. “We’re not confirming or denying anything. We have not made any decisions.”. Way to put out the fire there lady. And his mom says talk to Pablo who we’ve yet to hear anything out of.

So what I’m asking is how hard would it have been for them to send out a tweet saying “We’d like to thank the fans, coaches, etc but Justin is currently weighing his options and please respect our privacy”? Know why it only took me like two seconds to come up with that? Because it’s pretty much boilerplate for anyone who’s rumored to be transferring. Or they could have done any number of things to try to clear up or at least cool down the incessant rumor mill. I’m sure any reporter including Chip would be happy to sit down with them, probably with conditions on what they can ask or say, or any number of lawyers or PR people would have done it pro bono.

But they have by all appearances been fine with letting UGA twist in the wind, either on purpose or because they just don’t care because it’s all about their kid. Either way if you’re still sticking up for him I think it’s misguided at best. I’m thinking he and JH both look up to Cam a bit too much. Go Dawgs!!!

Cool man. Hook em!

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@superblackeagle said:
    Is Haskins declaring?

Thanks for the clarification. The first part of the discussion (that I missed) must have been talking
    about next year's Juniors.

• Options
    UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@superblackeagle said:
    Is Haskins declaring?

No, he was part of the 2016 recruiting class. He is eligible to enter the draft this year.

• Options
    a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2018

@pgjackson said:

@a_rattler said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@a_rattler said:
    This is funny. You want Fields ro be more concerned with UGA's best interests than his own. When UGA doesn't need him and can just replace him.

The Fields situation was totally mishandled. It was a wasted year. He should have either been redshirted or been given meaningful chances to develop as a passer during the MANY garbage time moments that UGA had this season.

What does Fields owe UGA anyway? Especially when UGA reserves the right to terminate his scholarship at any time? Schools do it all the time
    Scholarships are not guaranteed. They are renewed on an annual basis. So when you read about kids in good academic standing and aren't problems off the field transferring to some FCS school in the middle of nowhere and thanking the university and fan base for the opportunity that is often what is going on. It is just that some schools are more open about it than others.

You need to remember who has all the money, power and leverage in college athletics. Hint: it isn't the players. Kids who don't look out for their own best interests are naive. Because trust me: the universities will still be fine and the coaches will still get their millions even if they get fired. What is Chizik's buyout again?

If you look out for your own best interests when dealing with your own affairs why act shocked when athletes do the same?

What if he didn't want to redshirt? What if the mishandling was due to pressures from the Felicia camp? That seems very plausible to me.

Fair point. But if UGA was going to play him they did it horribly. They just used him on garbage running plays.

I disagree. He got normal backup QB opportunities...he just chose to do his own thing and run instead of staying int he pocket and throwing. Dude was on the field plenty...he just doesn't seem to know the playbook and can't read a defense.

Here's how I envision the situation:

Coach: "Ok, Justin, I'm putting you in. Take a look at the defense, stay in the pocket, and go through your progressions. Don't run unless you absolutely need to. You came here to become a pocket passer. This is what they do."

Fields: "Ok coach"

Ball is snapped, Fields looks at one receiver....panics and runs for 3 yards.

Coach: "get his ass out of there, put Fromm back in!"

That is a lot of revisionist history. Nearly all those plays were clearly designed runs. Also there were tons of times when even the game announcers were wondering why Fields wasn't getting mop up duty. You are simply waiting to depict his desire to transfer as illegitimate.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooter dawg I certainly understand your frustration but Justin Fields did nothing to hurt the 2019 recruiting class. Maybe Hasselwood, but that's it.

The coaches weren't surprised and the recruits weren't surprised.

And there is nothing to suggest that he was ever a cancer. That video after the Carolina game was nothing. He just got caught complaining out of frustration.

I can't tell you how many players and families are complaining after every game I've ever coached in. They just didn't get caught saying it.

Cox, Campbell, Cook, etc., etc. have all done it. They just weren't caught. Does not mean they are problems in the locker room.

The biggest problem with this entire Justin Fields situation is "timing". It would have happened if Trevor Lawrence would have committed to Georgia instead of Fields. Turns out Jake Fromm is a pretty good QB and he is just one class ahead of Justin and Trevor.

Fields may turn out to be an amazing QB where ever he ends up - maybe a Heisman winner. And it may just make many of you sick - just don't forget - for the short amount of time that he was at UGA, he wasn't as good as Fromm. He may turn out better - but he didn't stay long enough to find out.

The family may or may not have handled it correctly. Most families aren't prepared or knowledgeable enough to know how to handle it - and even if they were - many fans still wouldn't be happy.

The biggest problem in this whole situation is simple - Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence needed to be at least two years younger than Fromm. It's just timing.

Finally, thankfully Fields did let the coaches know when he did or UGA wouldn't have been able to find another QB in time.

Hate to lose JF but it's best. Wasn't the right time.

• Options
    KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

@a_rattler said:

@pgjackson said:

@BEACHDAWG said:

-Fields was never going to stay in college for 5 years, so redshirting him would be essentially pointless. You think he'd be happier with being redshirted than getting to play some?
    -Fromm is projected to be a first round pick in 2020 and thus almost certainly won't stay for his senior year

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020.php
    http://www.draftblaster.com/2020-nfl-mock-draft/
    https://www.thesportster.com/football/projecting-the-top-picks-of-the-2019-2020-and-2021-nfl-drafts/

• Options
    dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im pretty sure no one cares he is leaving now. But its the way he will try to drag the university through the mud to get eligibility. He can where he wants but just go quietly

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Fields was already complaining after the USCjr game, he never had his head in the right place. It was game 3, and he came off the field frustrated with the coaches. Something was wrong from the git-go.

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Fields practicing this week? I can’t imagine that being the case, those guys would kill him.
    I agree- could have told the WR recruits in private and announced this weekend

• Options
    HunkerDown1MoreTimeHunkerDown1MoreTime Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:
    All you have to ask yourself is did we ever have to count on JF for a win? The answer is a big fat no. Move on cancer

Maybe Tenn game , he kinda saved us dude

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@Kasey said:

@a_rattler said:

Again...your assignment was for Nate Hybl...I see nothing in this about Nate

That guy...cmon now

• Options

@HunkerDown1MoreTime said:

@Dawg1419 said:
    All you have to ask yourself is did we ever have to count on JF for a win? The answer is a big fat no. Move on cancer

???

• Options
    HunkerDown1MoreTimeHunkerDown1MoreTime Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@HunkerDown1MoreTime said:

@Dawg1419 said:

???

Re watch tenn game