Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I’m just gonna say it..

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:
    I think we dodged a bullet with Hasselwood, with fields gone hopefully we've cut out the cancer. Fields had it made here but was far to short sighted to see it. Glad hasselwood isn't coming and Fields is gone. Only regret is him going with us to the Sugar Bowl, they ought to set his stuff out beside the road.

I agree, at this point I want JF1 gone. However, do we wanna go to New Orleans to play Texas with 0 backup QB? Unfortunately we kinda need him there and suited up just in case JF11 gets injured (knock on wood).

I think we can beat UT with whoever the 3rd string QB is. Kirby said something at the end of the report about Fields having to find a new school soon because classes start Jan 8th. Made it sound like he was saying that he would like Fields to stay on the team and play in the Sugar, but it's not likely because if he intends to leave he needs to go now. I guess if Fields wants to be like an early enrollee at a different school, he can't wait till after the bowl game.

Perhaps but shouldn't he really be on the ball school searching and not getting plenty of reps and looking "sharp" at practice today? This whole situation is weird. Check out Mike Griffiths new article if you haven't already.
    In regards to our 3rd string QB against Texas, you're probably right if he's needed, say, late in the 2nd half. However, god forbid, if JF11 goes down 2 mins into the game, we may need JF1 to bail us out. Idk this all s.u.c.k.s.

The bowl is truly unimportant right now. We have the #2 recruiting class. I doubt any of them will decommit if we lose to UT. Winning the bowl won't attract more commits either.

Wait, who are you referring to? I was saying we may need JF1 to win sugar bowl in case of JF11 injury. Not sure what you mean by people decommiting.

I am saying the bowl game is unimportant right now. It doesn't matter to us if we win it or lose it. If we lose it, what's the worst thing that can happen? Will we lose recruits? No. We will still go into 2019 as a top 5 team absolutely LOADED across the board. Maybe a bit thin in experience at QB, but the Mathis kids looks great. I'd prefer to let Fields sit in his stink and leave before the bowl. We will do just fine without him.

A great showing does have an impact in an recruiting area that were beginning to pick up significant steam. In back to back classes we’ve landed a top 300 player from TX. There’s some dawgs there we want in the 20 class. I do believe it matters in continuing to impress those targets.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:
    I think we dodged a bullet with Hasselwood, with fields gone hopefully we've cut out the cancer. Fields had it made here but was far to short sighted to see it. Glad hasselwood isn't coming and Fields is gone. Only regret is him going with us to the Sugar Bowl, they ought to set his stuff out beside the road.

I agree, at this point I want JF1 gone. However, do we wanna go to New Orleans to play Texas with 0 backup QB? Unfortunately we kinda need him there and suited up just in case JF11 gets injured (knock on wood).

I think we can beat UT with whoever the 3rd string QB is. Kirby said something at the end of the report about Fields having to find a new school soon because classes start Jan 8th. Made it sound like he was saying that he would like Fields to stay on the team and play in the Sugar, but it's not likely because if he intends to leave he needs to go now. I guess if Fields wants to be like an early enrollee at a different school, he can't wait till after the bowl game.

Perhaps but shouldn't he really be on the ball school searching and not getting plenty of reps and looking "sharp" at practice today? This whole situation is weird. Check out Mike Griffiths new article if you haven't already.
    In regards to our 3rd string QB against Texas, you're probably right if he's needed, say, late in the 2nd half. However, god forbid, if JF11 goes down 2 mins into the game, we may need JF1 to bail us out. Idk this all s.u.c.k.s.

The bowl is truly unimportant right now. We have the #2 recruiting class. I doubt any of them will decommit if we lose to UT. Winning the bowl won't attract more commits either.

Wait, who are you referring to? I was saying we may need JF1 to win sugar bowl in case of JF11 injury. Not sure what you mean by people decommiting.

I am saying the bowl game is unimportant right now. It doesn't matter to us if we win it or lose it. If we lose it, what's the worst thing that can happen? Will we lose recruits? No. We will still go into 2019 as a top 5 team absolutely LOADED across the board. Maybe a bit thin in experience at QB, but the Mathis kids looks great. I'd prefer to let Fields sit in his stink and leave before the bowl. We will do just fine without him.

A great showing does have an impact in an recruiting area that were beginning to pick up significant steam. In back to back classes we’ve landed a top 300 player from TX. There’s some dawgs there we want in the 20 class. I do believe it matters in continuing to impress those targets.

Perhaps, but I'd still rather Fields not be part of the team while he's actively looking elsewhere. Coach's talk about commitment and loyalty and all that...I don't think it would be fair to the other guys who are absolutely 100% devoted to the team to allow Justin to step foot on the field with them, much less allow him to play.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

Perhaps, but I'd still rather Fields not be part of the team while he's actively looking elsewhere. Coach's talk about commitment and loyalty and all that...I don't think it would be fair to the other guys who are absolutely 100% devoted to the team to allow Justin to step foot on the field with them, much less allow him to play.

I agree. Sounds like he’ll be there, as a witness.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

Absolutely. If he does end up coming along with us to N.O., I REALLY hope he sits the the bench unless the worst happens. Then bye Felicia

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@Lefty13 said:

This is very accurate concerning recruiting. And don't forget, I'm surrounded by UT grads here in Dallas and don't want to deal with the Hook Em crap I'll get for months if the Dawgs lose. And I played Texas 3 times in college and I don't like em.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who is the 3rd string QB right now behind Fields? I should know this...

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    Who is the 3rd string QB right now behind Fields? I should know this...

Walk on , I believe his name is Downing.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't want him around spreading his cancerous attitude. Get rid of him NOW! All he's going to do is cause morale problems. Get him out of the locker room ASAP.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I've said this before - a lot of Dawg fans are going to be frustrated when Justin Fields has a lot of success - because he will. And he may turn out to be better than Fromm. But Fromm was the best choice when they were both on the same campus.

If Fields stayed, I think it's highly likely that he wins the job in spring practice.** But not without a fight - Fromm has that "IT" factor. We'll just never know.**

That's just my opinion.

What in the world leads you to believe Fields is anywhere near Fromm? Take away all the HS hype, focus only on on-field performance. Fields right now (after 13 games) isn't even close to where Fromm was last year against ND. The gap is wide. Fields has some advantages, but Fromm is a total package rarely seen.

Tap the brakes. I definitely said Fromm was the guy. Have been all year. But Fields is talented. Just said if Fields stuck around in the spring he would have a chance to beat out Fromm. But we'll never know.

I get that Fromm is a special. I've been involved in the game for a very long time - I do understand a few things.

Read what you actually said, please, sir.

I hope Fields sticks around and that much of what we've heard turns out to be malarky. Having said that, Fields clearly has potential, but that's all he's shown us. I see very little to indicate Fields is anywhere near where a guy needs to be to succeed as a starting QB in a big time program.

He's not highly likely to beat out Fromm in the spring. I doubt he has a bat's chance. I'm not convinced he will be a good quarterback at any program until he learns to read the defenses and stand in the pocket. He's a deer in the headlights. Yes, he has potential, but that counts for nothing on the field of play.

You say you know the game, and perhaps you do. I can't claim to omniscience about football, but I'm open to you telling all of us what you see that causes you to believe Fields has a chance to or is highly likely to displace Fromm should he continue the ongoing competition, a competition it appears he's withdrawing from (and why would he do that with such good prospects?).

From my point of view Fields hasn't grown much over the course of the season. I'm sure he's worked hard and been coached up and had significant reps in practice and all that. Why hasn't he developed?

My guess...Well, we'll save that for down the road.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace said:
    I'm going to say he's on the team until Kirby says he isn't. If he's on the team I support him. If he abandons the team I wish him well but don't let the door hit him in the behind on the way out.

I'm also concerned that he got bad advice and is still getting bad advice. The race card? Really! Really? Hopefully that is a nasty rumor. It's nasty in any case.

Kirby kept saying stuff all year about Fields being ready and all that, but I never saw it. We all see the potential, but if he leaves I have concerns about his future. I hear talk that he's got the number one draft pick slotted into his calendar, but what film are people watching when they say such things?

I want him to stick around and see if he can earn a starting spot, but it sure smells like he's leaving for what may or may not be greener pastures.

This mess makes me appreciate Eason and his family for the class act his transfer was. Hopefully Mr. Fields and his family will do what they can to follow that example.

Go, Dawgs!

Greener pastures are greener for a reason... manure

• Options

@JimWallace said:

And I've said this before - a lot of Dawg fans are going to be frustrated when Justin Fields has a lot of success - because he will. And he may turn out to be better than Fromm. But Fromm was the best choice when they were both on the same campus.

If Fields stayed, I think it's highly likely that he wins the job in spring practice.** But not without a fight - Fromm has that "IT" factor. We'll just never know.**

That's just my opinion.

What in the world leads you to believe Fields is anywhere near Fromm? Take away all the HS hype, focus only on on-field performance. Fields right now (after 13 games) isn't even close to where Fromm was last year against ND. The gap is wide. Fields has some advantages, but Fromm is a total package rarely seen.

Tap the brakes. I definitely said Fromm was the guy. Have been all year. But Fields is talented. Just said if Fields stuck around in the spring he would have a chance to beat out Fromm. But we'll never know.

I get that Fromm is a special. I've been involved in the game for a very long time - I do understand a few things.

I hope Fields sticks around and that much of what we've heard turns out to be malarky. Having said that, Fields clearly has potential, but that's all he's shown us. I see very little to indicate Fields is anywhere near where a guy needs to be to succeed as a starting QB in a big time program.

He's not highly likely to beat out Fromm in the spring. I doubt he has a bat's chance. I'm not convinced he will be a good quarterback at any program until he learns to read the defenses and stand in the pocket. He's a deer in the headlights. Yes, he has potential, but that counts for nothing on the field of play.

You say you know the game, and perhaps you do. I can't claim to omniscience about football, but I'm open to you telling all of us what you see that causes you to believe Fields has a chance to or is highly likely to displace Fromm should he continue the ongoing competition, a competition it appears he's withdrawing from (and why would he do that with such good prospects?).

From my point of view Fields hasn't grown much over the course of the season. I'm sure he's worked hard and been coached up and had significant reps in practice and all that. Why hasn't he developed?

Go, Dawgs!

OK. you got me.

I've made it clear in every post that i've posted that Fromm is a special QB. Maybe I worded it wrong but I do believe Fromm would keep his job. My point being- we'll never know.

But Fields is a special talent. What separates the two more than anything is Jake's film room work ethic and his overall understanding of the game. Does Fields learn that and take it with him - don't know.

I don't want Fields as my QB - I want Fromm. But I do believe Fields will figure it out and be very special.

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace said:

That's just my opinion.

Go, Dawgs!

My question is - how can you make the assessment that Fields hasn’t grown?
    He wasn’t in any game long enough to really get settled down and looked pretty good against UMass (I know,UMass)...
    Fromm started plenty of games nervous and on this board almost every Saturday someone was in the thread mentioning he needs to calm down....
    So what’s the difference...He’s a freshmen as well. There’s going to be nerves.

This isn’t making the case for him starting or Fromm blah blah blah but there are a lot grown adults on this board going on about a kid like he stole your pet or something.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoeClark said:

@JimWallace said:

That's just my opinion.

Go, Dawgs!

He wasn’t in any game long enough to really get settled down and looked pretty good against UMass (I know,UMass)...
    Fromm started plenty of games nervous and on this board almost every Saturday someone was in the thread mentioning he needs to calm down....

This isn’t making the case for him starting or Fromm blah blah blah but there are a lot grown adults on this board going on about a kid like he stole your pet or something.

That's true but there's also a lot of grown adults on here who are so terrified of losing one player that they will grasp at any straw to keep him...see..works both ways. I could also ask what, nerves aside, Fields did this year to make many on here think we are losing a once in a lifetime player?

Personally I've yet to see anything that makes me think it's anything but the fact that we've been hearing for so long that this guy is amazing that it must be true. I'll give Fields credit for one thing: he's managed to ride good camp performances and a high star rating vs. actual on field results in a transcendent manner.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

That's true but there's also a lot of grown adults on here who are so terrified of losing one player that they will grasp at any straw to keep him...see..works both ways. I could also ask what, nerves aside, Fields did this year to make many on here think we are losing a once in a lifetime player?

Watch his film. Great arm, mechanics, size, speed. He runs like an SEC tailback already, even with Kirby yelling at him about lowering his shoulder. That tells you he is a competitor. Watch how he finds the open receivers on the G Day highlights. He has good vision. He came in intermittently against the top teams in the SEC as a TF who didn't have the advantage of starting the whole year and getting the reps. If you don't believe me, scooter, and I understand you think we are looking through rose colored glasses, watch how hard he gets recruited. Teams are salivating over Fields because he is a generational talent and it's obvious to them.

• Options

@scooterdawg said:

@JoeClark said:

@JimWallace said:

That's just my opinion.

Go, Dawgs!

Personally I've yet to see anything that makes me think it's anything but the fact that we've been hearing for so long that this guy is amazing that it must be true. I'll give Fields credit for one thing: he's managed to ride good camp performances and a high star rating vs. actual on field results in a transcendent manner.

It's difficult to have a conversation about Fields because most (maybe not everyone) has such a strong opinion one way or another.

Really not fair to either Jake or Justin. As I've said many times - both will or should be very good. It's just unfortunate for UGA and both Jake/Justin that they weren't separated by more than one year.

This is Fromm's team. Justin was never given the opportunity to show what he can do (and he shouldn't have been given the opportunity).

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

@JoeClark said:

@JimWallace said:

That's just my opinion.

Go, Dawgs!

I hear ya on the first part. I’m personally not terrified of losing one person but don’t think he should be nailed to a cross either.

Also, the hype comes with the rating and the skill set. I mean there were plenty evaluators who confirmed that he had a high IQ and could hang with the best of them.
    Add that to the fact that to a CFB that sees Tua and TL change their teams completely and I think it’s a given (I do think their situations were different. They weren’t replacing Fromm)

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So what y'all are saying is that Fields has great physical gifts. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But if we're using the TF argument then why doesn't that apply to Fromm as well last year.

I'm not saying that the guy doesn't have all the physical tools to be amazing..in the future. But currently either he's lacking in the mental department so far, or Jake is that much more cerebral. Jake's the lesser talent and probably got a lot less snaps with the 1s in practice before Eason went down than Fields did this year, yet Jake led us to the NCG game and Fields had some nice throws against UMass and Vandy in mopup duty.

Could Fields be uber successful? Of course! Is he anything other than a very raw passer right now? I'd say no. And if he's in legit Heisman contention next year then I'll never post here again and I'll get a Fields tattoo. And by next year I mean if he's allowed to play immediately wherever he goes.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoeClark said:

@JimWallace said:

That's just my opinion.

Go, Dawgs!

Kirby has said on numerous occasions that Fields is a hard worker and has improved a lot.

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I find it hard to feel any bitterness towards Fields, even considering the likely ill intent of the timing of the leak. I can only see him now as leaving our program in utter defeat. He came in understandably confident (as one of the highest rated 5-stars ever) that he would eventually beat out Fromm, but instead he could see -- I imagine rather quickly -- that wasn't ever going to happen as long as Fromm was around.

In my eyes he's walking away from the ring as the defeated fighter. No lost honor in that. Hopefully he keeps his dignity by dropping the weak racist card play -- it would be a shame to go out that way.