Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Hawks probably made a mistake in not taking Luca Doncic...

Comments

• Options
    ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    🤔 I wonder who said that way back when during draft time...someone on this board...anyone know?

Yeah, I know. First time I went back and forth with that person trying to tell him why the Hawks should take Doncic. Don't bother with that poster any more.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@rednavel said:

@WCDawg said:

@rednavel said:

@judasdurant said:

@WCDawg said:

@judasdurant said:
    I mean it’s not like there was any way for the hawks to know Luka would be amazing besides the entire season of him dominating the second best basketball league in the world at 18. Who would’ve thought!!!

His athleticism was a legitimate question. He dropped the baby fat and it's made him quicker and more explosive to the basket. The European leagues are very good, but success there doesn't always translate to The NBA.

Trae Young was the first player to lead CBB in both scoring and assist, and he did it as a true freshman in a top conference.

I mean i felt from day 1, and I’m pretty sure I’ve said it on this board, that Luka was the unquestionable best player in this draft. Hawks aren’t the only team that messed up. Trae May end up being a solid player. But no one in this draft class will compare to luka and the hawks trading away his draft rights will end up as one of Those all time moves that teams regret (i. E.) sam Bowie over MJ, oden over durant)

Trae has all the ball skills and shooting ability to be a very good player when surrounded by other good players, but I’m not sure he will ever be the best or even second best player on a championship team. Only a handful of guys in the league achieve that, but Doncic could become the second banana to a true superstar if he doesn’t achieve that himself someday. Trae will always have defensive limitations just by being small, some of which can be mediated by coaching and discipline. I just worry that Doncic will always be a better player, throughout their respective careers.

I don't doubt Doncic will have more value, but the deal included Dallas's #1 pick in the 2019 draft and I believe their #2 pick in 2020. If we get a player as good as John Collins who we took at #21 in 2017, the deal might be pretty good.

I believe the deal was Dallas’ 2019 pick if it falls outside the top 5, otherwise we could get two second rounders in 2020. Could be wrong though. Right now based on their record Dallas should be around the 8th pick in the lottery. I’ll personally feel much better if we can finish with a top 5 and a top 10 pick in 2019. Makes the Doncic trade easier to swallow for me.

You are correct, but at this time it seems almost certain The Mavs pick will be outside the top 5. Right now Dallas has the 12th worst winning percentage.
    My guess is from low lottery to around 15th.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@WCDawg said:

@judasdurant said:
    I mean it’s not like there was any way for the hawks to know Luka would be amazing besides the entire season of him dominating the second best basketball league in the world at 18. Who would’ve thought!!!

His athleticism was a legitimate question. He dropped the baby fat and it's made him quicker and more explosive to the basket. The European leagues are very good, but success there doesn't always translate to The NBA.

Trae Young was the first player to lead CBB in both scoring and assist, and he did it as a true freshman in a top conference.

I mean i felt from day 1, and I’m pretty sure I’ve said it on this board, that Luka was the unquestionable best player in this draft. Hawks aren’t the only team that messed up. Trae May end up being a solid player. But no one in this draft class will compare to luka and the hawks trading away his draft rights will end up as one of Those all time moves that teams regret (i. E.) sam Bowie over MJ, oden over durant)

Call me crazy but I don't think anyone will ever mention the Hawks taking Young and the pick over Doncic in the same breath as Bowie over Jordan historically. Except for me just now, of course.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes they did, par for the course

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks r never gonna get it right people. Just not meant to b. Anyway, GO DAWGS!!!

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    The Hawks r never gonna get it right people. Just not meant to b. Anyway, GO DAWGS!!!

Winning an NBA title takes at least one all time great player. Only one team in the past 50 years as won a title without at least one of the 30 greatest players in history, think about that. They weren't top 30 yet, but all ended up on the list, or will end up there. The latest is Curry, and Lebron, both sure fire top 30 when they are finished.

• Options

I am of the opinion that bigger is better and Doncic or Jaren Jackson should have been the pick. Oh but wait, we're the Hawks and drafting future Hall of Famers is not our thing. Oh no, give me the Jon Koncaks, Marvin Williams, and Sheldon Williams of the world and I'll continue to get bounced in the 2nd rd of the playoffs when we do make it which is why 1 haven't watched 1 second of 1 Hawks game this season and it'll probably b that way for awhie. Trae "Steph Ultra Lite 🍺 🍺 🍺" Young.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    I am of the opinion that bigger is better and Doncic or Jaren Jackson should have been the pick. Oh but wait, we're the Hawks and drafting future Hall of Famers is not our thing. Oh no, give me the Jon Koncaks, Marvin Williams, and Sheldon Williams of the world and I'll continue to get bounced in the 2nd rd of the playoffs when we do make it which is why 1 haven't watched 1 second of 1 Hawks game this season and it'll probably b that way for awhie. Trae "Steph Ultra Lite 🍺 🍺 🍺" Young.

Well, if bigger is better, then Koncak and the Williams boys should have made you happy.

• Options

Well bigger with the caveat that u can play the game of course. There. Is that better. 😎😎😎

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    Well bigger with the caveat that u can play the game of course. There. Is that better. 😎😎😎

So you are saying that taller players who can play well are better than shorter players who can play well? That's an awesome insight.

• Options

@MeR3htid said:

Of course Giannis has an advantage over a 6'6'' player with the same sill set, but Russell Westbrook still gets to keep his MVP award..right ?

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Noone would have to guard MJ because again, and pay close attention this time. Michael Jordan would b rendered wholey unplayable against this lineup due to his relatively tiny stature as compared to the lineup I referenced headlined by the true G.O.A.T LeBron. Again I ask, against this lineup where do u hide Jordan defensively. U simply cannot. Therefore if Im the coach Jordan is sitting next to me because he would b seriously overmatched out there. Now a prime Larry Bird, sure he could matchup out there no problem. Prime Magic Johnson? Ditto. Scottie Pippen? Yep. Dominique Wilkins? Absolutely. Michael Jordan? NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT, HE'S TOO LITTLE TO GUARD ANYONE AND DOESNT HAVE THE 3 POINT RANGE TO STRETCH THE FLOOR!!! SO FOR THE LAST TIME NOOOOOOO!!!!!! HE IS NOT THE G.O.A.T.

Did you really just say that Dominque Wilkins would absolutely be able to match up but Jordan could not? That is laughable. I love Dominque and he went to UGA but Dominque was allergic to defense. Jordan was a Defensive Player of the Year and a 9 time NBA All Defensive First Team player.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Noone would have to guard MJ because again, and pay close attention this time. Michael Jordan would b rendered wholey unplayable against this lineup due to his relatively tiny stature as compared to the lineup I referenced headlined by the true G.O.A.T LeBron. Again I ask, against this lineup where do u hide Jordan defensively. U simply cannot. Therefore if Im the coach Jordan is sitting next to me because he would b seriously overmatched out there. Now a prime Larry Bird, sure he could matchup out there no problem. Prime Magic Johnson? Ditto. Scottie Pippen? Yep. Dominique Wilkins? Absolutely. Michael Jordan? NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT, HE'S TOO LITTLE TO GUARD ANYONE AND DOESNT HAVE THE 3 POINT RANGE TO STRETCH THE FLOOR!!! SO FOR THE LAST TIME NOOOOOOO!!!!!! HE IS NOT THE G.O.A.T.

Wow, that's just silly, Michael had the quickness, strength and range. This is a guy that would find a way. Would he have struggled more against that lineup? sure, but who wouldn't. Michael was 6'5" and way stronger than you give him credit for, everybody knew what he was going to do and couldn't stop him. Athletes keep getting better and better, but he was dominant in his time and would still be very very good. To determine the Greatest of all time you have to compare based upon competition at the time, otherwise in any sport as the athletes get bigger and better the latest player will always be ahead.

• Options

Yeah but Dominique was 6'8 and could leap Durant, Davis, LeBron or Giannis in a single bound whereas Jordan at 6'5 1/3 well....😂😂😂😂😂 He's just too small thats all. 😎😎😎

• Options

A modern Dream Team of PG LeBron SG Durant C Embid PF Davis SF Giannis with a bench consisting of PG Steph SG J. Harden C Jocik (Or whatever) PF Prime Dirk SF Khawi Leonard. At the end of the bench: Russell Westbrook, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Andre Drummond and Draymond Green! Would whip the original Dream Team in a 4-0 sweep. Absolutely nothing to c here. 😎😎😎

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    A modern Dream Team of PG LeBron SG Durant C Embid PF Davis SF Giannis with a bench consisting of PG Steph SG J. Harden C Jocik (Or whatever) PF Prime Dirk SF Khawi Leonard. At the end of the bench: Russell Westbrook, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Andre Drummond and Draymond Green! Would whip the original Dream Team in a 4-0 sweep. Absolutely nothing to c here. 😎😎😎

nothing to read either.

• Options

@MeR3htid said:

Wow, I wonder if that is meant to be taken seriously ? I don't think Jordan was the greatest, my pick is Bill Russell, but Jordan would be a great defender in any era.

• Options

Yeah but my backcourt is LeBron 6'9 265 and Durant 7'0 250 okay so which guy r u putting Jordan on? Okay thats the guy we're going to every time down court. EVERYTIME!!! Poor Little Fella.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah but my backcourt is LeBron 6'9 265 and Durant 7'0 250 okay so which guy r u putting Jordan on? Okay thats the guy we're going to every time down court. EVERYTIME!!! Poor Little Fella.

You are obviously a young guy who really didn't watch the NBA in the 80's. That's fine.

But your comparison doesn't work because the game is so drastically different today.

If the game was played with 80's rules - old team wins. Game was played with current NBA rules/style the new team would win.

But I have to say that you are very nieve with your comments about Jordan. Jordan would be dominat in any generation.

• Options

@MeR3htid said:

That is comically bad basketball logic. If we're building clone teams where everybody gets their pick of players, I'll take Bill Russell, Magic, Bird, MJ and Lebron as my starters.