Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Hawks probably made a mistake in not taking Luca Doncic...

124»

Comments

• Options
    mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:
    Noone would have to guard MJ because again, and pay close attention this time. Michael Jordan would b rendered wholey unplayable against this lineup due to his relatively tiny stature as compared to the lineup I referenced headlined by the true G.O.A.T LeBron. Again I ask, against this lineup where do u hide Jordan defensively. U simply cannot. Therefore if Im the coach Jordan is sitting next to me because he would b seriously overmatched out there. Now a prime Larry Bird, sure he could matchup out there no problem. Prime Magic Johnson? Ditto. Scottie Pippen? Yep. Dominique Wilkins? Absolutely. Michael Jordan? NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT, HE'S TOO LITTLE TO GUARD ANYONE AND DOESNT HAVE THE 3 POINT RANGE TO STRETCH THE FLOOR!!! SO FOR THE LAST TIME NOOOOOOO!!!!!! HE IS NOT THE G.O.A.T.

Wow, I wonder if that is meant to be taken seriously ? I don't think Jordan was the greatest, my pick is Bill Russell, but Jordan would be a great defender in any era.

If u don’t mind me asking, why is Russell your number 1?

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Bill Russell man? He'd b a poor mans Clint Capela in this era. Face it man, todays players r bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and better shooters than the generations that preceeded them. Bill Russell? 😂😂😂😂😂 Stop it man!!! 😂😂😂😂😂 You're killing me!!!😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah, Bill Russell man? He'd b a poor mans Clint Capela in this era. Face it man, todays players r bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and better shooters than the generations that preceeded them. Bill Russell? 😂😂😂😂😂 Stop it man!!! 😂😂😂😂😂 You're killing me!!!😂😂😂😂😂

You really should stop. You seem like one of those guys who thinks the world was invented in the year 2000.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@mantis_toboggan69 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:
    Noone would have to guard MJ because again, and pay close attention this time. Michael Jordan would b rendered wholey unplayable against this lineup due to his relatively tiny stature as compared to the lineup I referenced headlined by the true G.O.A.T LeBron. Again I ask, against this lineup where do u hide Jordan defensively. U simply cannot. Therefore if Im the coach Jordan is sitting next to me because he would b seriously overmatched out there. Now a prime Larry Bird, sure he could matchup out there no problem. Prime Magic Johnson? Ditto. Scottie Pippen? Yep. Dominique Wilkins? Absolutely. Michael Jordan? NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT, HE'S TOO LITTLE TO GUARD ANYONE AND DOESNT HAVE THE 3 POINT RANGE TO STRETCH THE FLOOR!!! SO FOR THE LAST TIME NOOOOOOO!!!!!! HE IS NOT THE G.O.A.T.

Wow, I wonder if that is meant to be taken seriously ? I don't think Jordan was the greatest, my pick is Bill Russell, but Jordan would be a great defender in any era.

If u don’t mind me asking, why is Russell your number 1?

Because he was the best defensive/team player in NBA history
    by miles. His defensive metric numbers are close to twice the score of the second place guy. He also was a great rebounder and excellent passer. I wouldn't look for more than15 to 20 ppg from him.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah but my backcourt is LeBron 6'9 265 and Durant 7'0 250 okay so which guy r u putting Jordan on? Okay thats the guy we're going to every time down court. EVERYTIME!!! Poor Little Fella.

Durant is not 7'0 - He was only 6'9" at UT and didn't grow three inches since then. LeBron is not 6'9" though I think he is all of 265 lbs. Your fascination with size makes we wonder....

• Options

That was a cheapshot donm but since I have profound respect for my elders I will let it pass but lets face it, a team of stars from the Lebron era would absolutely wipe the floor with a Jordan era Dream Team. Now again sir, which of the 5 of LeBron, Durant, Embid, A.D., or the Greek Freak would u dare put the little man on. Exactly if u were his coach u would have to bench the little guy. All 5 of them would use him like a Q-Tip. Jordan the G.O.A.T. I understand though. I believed in Santa Clause once. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    That was a cheapshot donm but since I have profound respect for my elders I will let it pass but lets face it, a team of stars from the Lebron era would absolutely wipe the floor with a Jordan era Dream Team. Now again sir, which of the 5 of LeBron, Durant, Embid, A.D., or the Greek Freak would u dare put the little man on. Exactly if u were his coach u would have to bench the little guy. All 5 of them would use him like a Q-Tip. Jordan the G.O.A.T. I understand though. I believed in Santa Clause once. 😂😂😂😂😂

Man, you really do think the world was invented in 2000.
    Magic, Bird, Olajuwon, Shaq, Malone, Malone, Stockton, West, Baylor, Wilt, Jabbar, Russell, Robertson, Barkley, Thomas, Dr J. Those and other ancient warriors would be dominant in any era.

• Options

U got me there sir. U just about covered it all with that post. Would b 1 heck of a team no doubt.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dumb move when the Hawks didn't keep him and traded for Young. Hawks won't get the 1st pick so no shot at getting Zion. Another blunder for Atlanta sports.

• Options

Well said CoachRob16. "With the 3rd pick in the LOADED 2018 draft the Hawks select Ricky Rubio!!!"'

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    Well said CoachRob16. "With the 3rd pick in the LOADED 2018 draft the Hawks select Ricky Rubio!!!"'

It's interesting Doncic isn't a great athlete, he has more in common with some of those old dinosaurs than he does with Giannis.
    Right now I'd take Doncic over Young and Dallas's 1st rd pick in 2019, but let's revisit this in 3 years. Young is already a top 5 passer among PGs, he is also very athletic and quick in ball handling and driving to the basket. He doesn't have the length to develop into a plus defender and he has to improve his 3 pt shooting though.

• Options

Yeah my thing though is if Im going to go from 3 to 5 then the guy at 5 (Especially if its a small guard) needs to b a plus defender and if not that then a guy that can slash 45/37/90 in addition to being a deft tablesetter. Will that ever b Trae? Who knows but even if it is it still doesn't justify passing over Doncic or J.J. IMHO. But hey, we're Hawks fans right. We know the drill. Drafting great players have never been our thing.

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah my thing though is if Im going to go from 3 to 5 then the guy at 5 (Especially if its a small guard) needs to b a plus defender and if not that then a guy that can slash 45/37/90 in addition to being a deft tablesetter. Will that ever b Trae? Who knows but even if it is it still doesn't justify passing over Doncic or J.J. IMHO. But hey, we're Hawks fans right. We know the drill. Drafting great players have never been our thing.

''45/37/90'' you lost me there. I have no idea what that means, except in context to your post maybe a comment on Trae's ability to drive to the basket. That he has covered, along with passing and getting his own shot.

• Options

45% from the field 37% from 3 and 90% from the line along with giving me 18 pts and 10 assist per night. If he doesnt grow into that player by at least year 3 then that doesn't make him a bust necessarily but just means it was a bad pick. We know all about those right? 😎😎😎

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    45% from the field 37% from 3 and 90% from the line along with giving me 18 pts and 10 assist per night. If he doesnt grow into that player by at least year 3 then that doesn't make him a bust necessarily but just means it was a bad pick. We know all about those right? 😎😎😎

In his 2nd season James Hardin averaged .436%, 2.1 assist and 12.2 ppg
    Chris Paul was ultra successful, he averaged .437% 8.9 assists and 17.3 ppg as a 23 year old 2nd season player.

Everybody wants their PGs to be Magic Johnson, but most HOF PGs developed a bit slower, John Stockton averaged 7.4 assists and 7.7 ppg at 24 years old in his 2nd season.
    After just 33 games Trae is averaging 15.5 ppg and he has the 3rd most assists per 48 minutes in The NBA.
    He has to improve his shooting percentages, but it's the norm for rookie PGs to shoot poorly.

• Options

Yeah man I guess Im just having a hard time getting over the team not drafting Jaren Jackson to pair with Collins to give us the type of length to deal with the Embids and Giannises of the world. If it were me I wouldve started Jose Calderon (or some other journeyman) at point and figure out my backcourt later. We're gonna **** for awhile anyway so having a Jose Calderon at point would've been tank proof IMO. Then in a couple of yrs when Collins and Jackson r starting to make some serious noise TOGETHER u could go ahead and draft your future PG or maybe lure an established vet that fits our timeline. But a Ricky Rubio clone? NOOOOOOO!!! 😣😣😣

• Options
    edited December 2018

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah man I guess Im just having a hard time getting over the team not drafting Jaren Jackson to pair with Collins to give us the type of length to deal with the Embids and Giannises of the world. If it were me I wouldve started Jose Calderon (or some other journeyman) at point and figure out my backcourt later. We're gonna **** for awhile anyway so having a Jose Calderon at point would've been tank proof IMO. Then in a couple of yrs when Collins and Jackson r starting to make some serious noise TOGETHER u could go ahead and draft your future PG or maybe lure an established vet that fits our timeline. But a Ricky Rubio clone? NOOOOOOO!!! 😣😣😣

Jackson was my pick and he has the 2nd highest win shares among all rookies right now, slightly higher than Doncic, and he just turned 19 in Sep. We couldn't have taken him and dealt the 3rd pick to Phoenix, but we might have been able to trade the rights for Doncic to Memphis at #4 and ended up with Jackson and a pick.
    Also Jeremy Lin is actually playing well at PG for The Hawks, his effective shooting % of 58 is among the best for PGs.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Dawg94 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

Man, you really do think the world was invented in 2000.
    Magic, Bird, Olajuwon, Shaq, Malone, Malone, Stockton, West, Baylor, Wilt, Jabbar, Russell, Robertson, Barkley, Thomas, Dr J. Those and other ancient warriors would be dominant in any era.

I agree all would be great no matter the era except for... Shaq.. Today's bigs would pull him away from the basket and he'd get fouled everytime he tried to score and as we all know FTs weren't his friend

Shaq and Moses Malone would lose value in today's game, but both would still be forces.
    Bird and Jerry West might be even more valuable today.