Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Zion Williamson

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:
    They MAY need someone like RJ Barrett e help take some ball handling responsiblity from Trae. If we had Luka, then yeah take Zion because he look to set Zion up first.

I agree, adding the perimeter length and scoring ability in RJ will allow more of a steph and klay style of back court. Besides Zion is good, but he will take a while to get his offensive game where we can rely on him to give us 16pts-20 a night

I don't care who is available. Zion Wiliamson is the nost exciting dunker since Dominique Wilkins. I cant stand to watch basketball. Bring him in and I will watch just to see if he can rip the rim off.

Yeah your right BUT basketball doesn't work like that. The Hawks would have to be able to play defense and make stops to get those fast break points and exciting dunks.

The dunk means far less than it used to.

Wait. You don't still get 2 points for a dunk?

It's the entertainment value. Much more exciting than a shot from the top of the key.

Most fans seem to have lost interest in the dunk. As far as value. Players are hitting a high percentage of 3 pt shots now, they also force defenses to space wide and far from the basket. It's a perimeter centric league, not a low post league now.

Watch his videos. The people in the stands dont seem uninterested, wishing he would pull up for a jumper.

Saying fans have lost interest in the dunk is like saying baseball fans don't care about a homerun and soccer fans get bored when a game goes to penalty kicks.

They're bored well before the penalty kicks

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:
    They MAY need someone like RJ Barrett e help take some ball handling responsiblity from Trae. If we had Luka, then yeah take Zion because he look to set Zion up first.

I agree, adding the perimeter length and scoring ability in RJ will allow more of a steph and klay style of back court. Besides Zion is good, but he will take a while to get his offensive game where we can rely on him to give us 16pts-20 a night

I don't care who is available. Zion Wiliamson is the nost exciting dunker since Dominique Wilkins. I cant stand to watch basketball. Bring him in and I will watch just to see if he can rip the rim off.

Yeah your right BUT basketball doesn't work like that. The Hawks would have to be able to play defense and make stops to get those fast break points and exciting dunks.

It's the entertainment value. Much more exciting than a shot from the top of the key.

Most fans seem to have lost interest in the dunk. As far as value. Players are hitting a high percentage of 3 pt shots now, they also force defenses to space wide and far from the basket. It's a perimeter centric league, not a low post league now.

Watch his videos. The people in the stands dont seem uninterested, wishing he would pull up for a jumper.

Saying fans have lost interest in the dunk is like saying baseball fans don't care about a homerun and soccer fans get bored when a game goes to penalty kicks.

That might be true in college, but The NBA yawns at dunks. Almost every player can jump through the gym and there is nothing new under the sun.

• Options
    YK_DAWG24YK_DAWG24 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

It's interesting that the game you enjoy was once derided by old timers. Today's game is a lot closer to the early days of the game where passing, spacing, shooting and driving were what mattered on offense.

Heck yeah he can jump out the gym but he knows shooting is a must in the NBA.
    Plus I think LBJ is great but travels 50% of the time when driving the lane.

James Harden has the most traveling miles in the NBA

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

That might be true in college, but The NBA yawns at dunks. Almost every player can jump through the gym and there is nothing new under the sun.

NBA ratings are down 26% since last year, and have been on a consisent decline since the 80's, maybe longer. I would say thw game has raelly evolved nicely. Not.
    Those people really know what generates a yawn, almost as much as you.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

NBA ratings are down 26% since last year, and have been on a consisent decline since the 80's, maybe longer. I would say thw game has raelly evolved nicely. Not.

I think you're conflating issues. Every sport's tv numbers are down, it's because of social media and almost unlimited choices in video entertainment. Who can name even one NBA All Star Dunk champion from the past 5 years ? It's dead.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

I think you're conflating issues. Every sport's tv numbers are down, it's because of social media and almost unlimited choices in video entertainment. Who can name even one NBA All Star Dunk champion from the past 5 years ? It's dead.

Agree. If you want a dunk contest then pay big money and get all the super stars.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

revenue sharing...just like country music...everybody gets a hit song....its like pro wrestling

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

It's interesting that the game you enjoy was once derided by old timers. Today's game is a lot closer to the early days of the game where passing, spacing, shooting and driving were what mattered on offense.

Boy, I wish someone would GPS a game for Lebron and James H...I'd love to know how many steps (legal and/or illegal) each takes. They are both travelling marvels. James H gets the nod when it comes to initiating contact. The concept of verticality is clearly dead in the NBA.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@orlando said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Jinx55 said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Boy, I wish someone would GPS a game for Lebron and James H...I'd love to know how many steps (legal and/or illegal) each takes. They are both travelling marvels. James H gets the nod when it comes to initiating contact. The concept of verticality is clearly dead in the NBA.

Lol and what the F is a euro step? Traveling as I see it

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He reminds me of a baby Charles Oakley, but way more athletic. He can be an enforcer. I want him.

We still need a consistent shooter. This team is under construction.

• Options
    joeyww12000joeyww12000 Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

His game may not translate to the NBA. Depends on his position I guess. Once he’s outsized by 7 footers he won’t be as dominant. He doesn’t have the offensive skill set of LeBron who is basically the same size.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@joeyww12000 said:
    His game may not translate to the NBA. Depends on his position I guess. Once he’s outsized by 7 footers he won’t be as dominant. He doesn’t have the offensive skill set of LeBron who is basically the same size.

LBJ didn't really have the same skill set when he came into the league. He couldn't really shoot that well at all IIR. However, he did work and work to become the complete player he is today. I'm sure Williamson can work to eliminate any "flaws" in his game as well. It will be interesting to see what he can do with his lack of height, his incredible strength and athleticism, and competitiveness. He might end up being a player.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, go ahead and forget about the FANTASY of Williamson going to Atlanta n the draft. That is not how it works down here. We'll make sure we get a player that will ensure that we get bounced in the 2nd rd. every year once we do start making the playoffs again. "PLAYOFFS!!!???" Those r the Hawks I've come to know. Williamson to Atlanta? 😂😂😂😂😂 Stop it man!!! You're killing me!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sad because.....I believe you.....

• Options
    edited December 2018

@joeyww12000 said:
    His game may not translate to the NBA. Depends on his position I guess. Once he’s outsized by 7 footers he won’t be as dominant. He doesn’t have the offensive skill set of LeBron who is basically the size.

Lebron is 6'8'' or 6'9'', Williamson is probably 6'6''.
    I really like Barrett over him at this point.

• Options

Oh his (Williamsons) game will translate just fine IMO. Theres more to playing basketball than being long and being a proficient 3 point shooter. Williamson will have a rather profound impact on whatever team he winds up with without ever having the benefit of 3 point range or ideal length simply because hes a baller who will not b denied. Think a better version (POTENTIALLY) of Charles Barkley. 😎😎😎

• Options

And for the uninformed or millenials peak Barkley was profoundly GREAT. 😉😉😉

• Options
    edited December 2018

@MeR3htid said:
    Oh his (Williamsons) game will translate just fine IMO. Theres more to playing basketball than being long and being a proficient 3 point shooter. Williamson will have a rather profound impact on whatever team he winds up with without ever having the benefit of 3 point range or ideal length simply because hes a baller who will not b denied. Think a better version (POTENTIALLY) of Charles Barkley. 😎😎😎

He is really not that much like Barkley was, other than height and the ability to run the floor that is. He has potential of course, I have him as my #2 pick overall right now. I just like Barrett's skill package a tad more.

• Options

@DuckDawg25 said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Atl, Chi, Cle, Phx, and NY all losing to get Zion.

We can always get a center, or SF at 20, or wherever Dallas ends up.

The NBA's lottery is beyond rigged. He will end up in a large market like NY.

Phoenix won it last year, Cleveland has won it twice and Minnesota once in the past decade, I don't really see a pattern that favors mega market teams.