Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Peanuts in Coke

13»

Comments

• Options
    OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

There was a service station in Monroe that had a shelf with unique coke bottles on it. One of them was an unopened coke with a quarter in it. Rumor was it was made that way at the bottler. The others were from distant places all over the USA.

Also I remember when cokes went to 6 cents each and we all were pissed cause we now had to have that penny to get one from the machines. LOL

The good ole days indeed!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 1

This is an old thread but I had to comment because it hit too many things from my younger days.

We used Tom's peanuts, pulled Cokes at Lord's used cars for a dollar, and also pitched quarters there. The Coke machine was always set to let us pull the Cokes for free provided we put them back. I still have an empty from my hometown, Dublin, GA.

Those were the days.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Growing up in the South, it was a given. You either did it or had a family member that did......

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loved the old machines where you pulled the bottle out by the neck and a new one rolled in its place. Didn't love it when the machine wouldn't loosen its grip on the bottle. Definitely Dr Pepper with peanuts. Also loved a hot(warm not spicy) Dr, Pepper.

• Options
    DoubleDanelDoubleDanel Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have also lived my whole life in the south (GA & SC) but never heard about this until I was an adult. I have never witnessed anyone else do it or tried it myself, either.

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's unexplained territory, I grew up all over the South, and it was common every where we lived. Of course my family was not new to the South on either side , and was something commonly seen in Knoxville, Huntsville, New Orleans and the Atlanta area. I know my elders were doing it as soon as Coke was invented. You should try it, it's a bit of a acquired taste. I have to admit I haven't done it in a few years.

• Options

Yeah, I have considered it odd that we ( my family) never came across it in practice or by observation. I'm not opposed to it, but it's just never been something on my radar. As much as my wife and I love boiled peanuts, we just don't typically have salted peanuts around to try it .

Now, if you want to talk about Bourbon in Coke, then I can talk 'til the sun comes up about my experiences with that. 😃

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My introduction to inflation, once the train has left the station, no turning back.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I beg of you don’t ruin your peanuts or your body with Coke, my friends.

• Options

Yeah, I remember those old free-standing reach-in coolers that would keep them near freezing. That first sip was rapturous on a hot summer day after playing outside in the street or coming into the store from the hay fields!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I learned from my grandfather when I was a teenager that there are only two things that go in bourbon or Jack Daniels, ice and a splash of spring water.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never heard about peanuts in coke cola. Now peanuts in a RC Cola I remember that.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We put peanuts in Coke and RC in the late 60's and 70's. I didn't see it much being done in the 80's, although when I was stationed in then West Germany, I knew a good ole boy from Okie in my unit that would routinely put nuts in any cola even with his dip. I loved RC and a moon pie. 😎