Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What are Dawgnations stereotypes of Texas

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've lived 46 of my 52 years in Texas. But I'm not officially a Texan.

My parents, brother and I are the only family members not still living in Georgia. My roots are Georgia and I still spend a lot of time in the Peach state.

I've traveled a lot and been to most states. I realize I'm biased but Georgia and Texas, IMO, are the best states - economy, culture, etc.

So, what are Dawgnations opinions or stereotypes of Texas?

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, the steers and q.ueers line is always funny, but I don't think anyone gives it any credence. And I'm sure the Texas folks will say that line is more applicable to Oklahoma.

My main thoughts on Texas are:

1. First and foremost it's a great state. Fascinating history, patriotic citizens, big business, big hats, big belts, good schools, great football.
    2. Beautiful women, full of personality. If I can't have a Georgia gal I'd certainly look to Texas (or Mississippi) to find a good one.
    3. I wouldn't want to live there. Too hot, too dry, too big, too flat and too brown. I prefer the seasons, colors, flora, fauna, and feel of the Appalachian foothills.
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went to HS in Corpus Christi. One stereotype that doesn't fit the mold is the Texas surfing culture. Lots of surfers in Texas.

Yes, cowboy hats and cowboy boots are worn everywhere.

Yes, Texans believe Texas is it's own country.

Yes, refried beans and heuvos rancheros are a breakfast staple.

Yes, HS football is a religion.

Yes, Texans believe they are better than you.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I enjoyed my visits to Texas. Best steak I ever ate was in Texas- JR’s in Colleyville. Two mini bacon wrapped petit filets with a mushroom sauce. I didn’t know beef could taste that good.

One thing about Houston that was cool is the tunnels that connect all the buildings. It’s like what they have in Minneapolis, but underground.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was exposed to some anti-Texan sentiment growing up. I do not buy into it, described well by pgjackson. Colorado is or was overwhelmed by vacationing Texans. Tourists often leave there brains at home while on vacation. My uncle was from Aspen when it was a poor mining town, before it became a Hollywood hangout. His impression was probably that Texas swag included unmerited bravado.

To me, variety makes the world go round, to each his own, any clique to say peeps are peeps, accept them as individuals.

• Options

Forgot to add:

Yes, Texas BBQ really is that good.

Yes, Tex-Mex is better than any Mexican food you have in your state.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude - very accurate on your assessments. Texas made an impact on you.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've driven across Texas twice, so I've seen a good bit of the state. I thought the canyon and big ranch country west of San Antonio was really spectacular and reminded me of Africa, particularly when you consider Big Game is visible from Hwy. 10.

Would I want to relocate to Texas? No, I don't think so.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I lived in Waco for a few years as a kid but don't remember much outside of it being flat as hell lol. I've been to Dallas as an adult but I still think of flat scrubland when I think of Texas...not saying it's ****..just different.

I make fun of Texans for their outsized state pride with having to put the lone star on everything and such but probably I'm a bit jealous. Texans, and to a lesser extent SCians with the Palmetto Moon thing, have a recognizable symbol to show state pride that as far as I know doesn't piss most people off.

That's why the Georgia flag has always annoyed me...IDGAF if it has the rebel flag or not but I couldn't immediately describe our current one, let alone anyone not from here. Dumbass politicians have changed it so many times it will never be recognizable. Putting a Peach sticker on your car isn't my idea of showing state pride.

Oh, and screw the Cowboys and their hillbilly owner.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read about LBJs ancestors in the hill country of Texas. Author Robert Caro is from NYC and moved down there to understand. Texas and LBJ. The Path to Power describes the area including LBJs ancestors' terror durning Commanche raids. Great, great author helps people who are not there understand Texas.

• Options

El Paso is basically New Mexico. I've driven through it a couple of times and was glad I was just passing through.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting you should make that comparison. My solution to the Middle East and our border problems is to gift New Mexico, Arizona, and the Rio Grande border area to Isreal. The area would soon flourish in crop production and the border crossings would come to an end. If only Jerusalem amd the Temple Mount weren’t so important they might take us up on the offer.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothin but steers and beers, as the old saying goes.