Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is Zion Williamson too heavy for the physical forces he generates ?..

13»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RPM. it's a distortion of science.

• Options
    razzierazzie Posts: 32 ✭ Freshman

Yeah. Unless you are playing OL or DT, 285 lbs is way too big for anyone under 7 feet and he is 6'7". I remember Anthony Mason was considered massive at that same height but only 250 lbs but was nowhere near as explosive or quick ... he could barely get off the ground when he jumped. Duke is the worst program for him to lose that weight because they are infamous for not emphasizing strength training and building muscle. He will need NBA weight training program to get down to a more ideal 245 lbs. while still retaining his core strength.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still can't quote, but the formula for force includes acceleration. Heavier might mean more force but acceleration might be less with a much larger body. I'm not sure if more mass would be cancelled out by less acceleration or how that would work. It seems logical there is some point at which too much mass would tip the scales negatively in performance. OTOH the original question was if his size and force generation puts too much stress on his joints. I don't think there is much argument he generates a lot of force.

• Options
    razzierazzie Posts: 32 ✭ Freshman

F=m*a. So the same acceleration with a bigger mass means more force. Especially since mass isn't just weight. It is density. So a 6'7" guy who weighs 285 lbs is more dense than a 7 footer with the same weight. So to preserve the bones and joints in his feet, ankles, knees, hips and possibly back the kid will need to lose weight.

• Options
    JTMoyniJTMoyni Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not reasoning, it's a fact. Force = Mass times Acceleration.

• Options

Donm - think of a NASCAR set up for the steep banks at Daytona. Now take that set up with the same tires and add 1000lb of sand to the car. I'd bet a $1000.00 to a penny everything from suspension to tires would wear our far quicker. Plus, Williamson isn't an inanimate object, parts can't just be changed out. Once the damage is done, it's a long road back and eventually you don't come back.

• Options

JTMoyni - You're acting as if it's a one and done contest, it's more of an ultra marathon and WEAR is the critical factor your simple view ignores.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

130 lb cross country runners also get wear and tear on their joints...of course this could be apples to peanuts.

• Options

I think you're trying to say he is too big due to the stress it places on his body. I'm simply stating that the physical "force" he generates is mathematically related to his "mass" and not independent of it due to force equalling mass times acceleration.

• Options
    edited February 2019

JTMoyni. I'm not just TRYING to say the weight combined with the extraordinary force he generates puts a lot of stress on his body, it's the entire premise of the OP.

Also..speed + strength + focus = power.

That comes from my martial arts days. A slow moving log is strong, a well placed fast moving bullet is powerful.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yet there isn't an equation to calculate the impact all of that has on his ligaments and tendons. After a day of discussion, I agree that less weight is probably better but we can't say that any of these assumptions apply to the body of Zion Williamson.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its evident that his shoes cant handle the physical forces he generates. I think he should wear Skechers

• Options

Weight aka mass cannot be combined with force because force equals mass times acceleration. Your point defies the laws of physics. I have said this all day.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In physics weight and mass are different. Mass is the amount of matter an object has while weight is the amount of force gravity exerts on an object.

• Options

TJMoyni - how much mass does a 45 cal. bullet have compared to an iron skillet ?

You're sort of off in egg head land with this formula thingy.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Zion has some unknown mass (m)

He accelerates at some unknown (a)

He runs into a brick wall exerting some computable force on it (f)

The science "stands up"

Zion does not. Tendons and ligaments, and broken bones

Both sides of the debate win?

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019
  • Options

JSK. Thanks, your experiment confirms my theory.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The fact that Zion can do what he does on the basketball court at his height and weight is what makes him a unique prospect. If he is able to keep it up for even 10 years he will have penned his name in NBA history. If he trims down to a more "normal" size, he potentially loses the mismatch factor and regresses towards the mean. Which means less fortune and fame. Every NBA player degrades over their career due to wear and tear. Obviously, some faster than others. If it's me, I'm trying to make the most of the gifts I have while I have them. If that means trimming down some, so be it. I would, however, be very skeptical of saving the tread on my tires at the expense of winning the race. He can adapt as he loses certain abilities, but if he makes a name for himself now, teams will be more inclined to keep around when he's washed up.