Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I’ll say it

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg Just so I'm clear - you believe that the student should have been able to make threats toward teachers, administrators, and/or the school without being arrested by the police officer who witnessed the threats? How many school shootings have we had in this country?

Can you explain what bias the police officer has that would motivate him/her to fabricate any such hypothetical threats for the purposes of "covering" for the school and substitute teacher?

There's no backpeddaling by me - ever. I admit my mistakes, and no such mistake has occurred here. I just assume that anyone so genius as to have YALE in their handle just so everyone knows they were brilliant enough to attend Yale, would be able to see that there's no need to mention the fact the kid didn't stand for the pledge when the very conversation is about the fact the kid didn't stand for the pledge. Do you think someone believes the kid didn't stand for the pledge and then started a disruption without any provocation?

Come on. Exercise that Ivy League brain you want everyone who visits this forum to know you have, YALEdawg.

@Midnite_Train Kids who are only 11 years old are not mentally mature enough to develop specific opinions about racism and the flag on their own without having adults feed that BS in to their brain. Their view of the World is not big enough and their exposure is certainly not large enough. That kid has a bitter parent raising a child to be a bitter person. I hope you weren't the victim of the same kind of upbringing.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As to the OP, I choose to not reveal my stance on the incident. What I will say, is that it is NOT the biggest problem we have in our nation, nor is it racism. Does racism exist? YES, it does! The most obvious thing that is setting us back in this great country is the unbelievable over inflation of Americans’ sense of entitlement. Over the last 50 years, it has gotten extremely out of hand! Do I stand for Freedom for All? HELL yes! I do! But there has to be some lines drawn somewhere.

Both sets of protestors in this incident were faced with, “I can do this, but should I do this?” I know this is a tricky issue, but there’s TOO MUCH of the I can (or I deserve) and not enough of maybe I shouldn’t. And being as I don’t have an answer as to how we fix this outside of a catastrophic war on our soil, I don’t know how to fix it. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am NOT pro war. I am 100% anti war. I’d like to hear some of your opinions on how we go back to understanding the difference between a “want” and “need.” Also, just because we “can” should we “do.”

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@Bankwalker I've seen high schoolers fight each other screaming I'll kill you and they just got suspended. I think an 11 year old who had has rights taken away doesnt deserve a harsher punishment than that. This was a child provoked by an adult. If the accounts are true the child was way out of line but you lay all of the blame at the feet of a kid and none on the adult who should know better and instigated the entire thing. He needs to learn how to handle those situations better but again he is 11 and being treated as a criminal instead of a child who needs to learn from his mistake. If you cant witness what happened it's foolish to blindly trust anyone else.

Edit: I never said the police were covering for the school. Not sure where you got that and the bias thing? He likely did cause disruption but we have no video evidence yet so we can't be sure to what extent.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’re not gonna like it any more this time than last.

But I tried to tell you.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I have no idea what you're talking about. Right now I'm trying to help troubleshoot the bugs in the site, so I have other things to do than worry about this your personal attacks any longer.

Oh yes. The "idiot" comment. I am an idiot. You think you aren't. You're welcome.

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

• Options

I’d like to hear some of your opinions on how we go back to understanding the difference between a “want” and “need.” Also, just because we “can” should we “do.”"

First, speak to one another like adults, not children on the playground. Even if sports bleeds into social issues as they often do, we can speak civilly to one another about it without taking everything personally. You nor I are the sun. I've only blocked one user on this site because she/he said I had a girl's name. There was another 2nd grade insult as well. While I found that laughable, I have no time for that, and I'm untrollable [sic]

Wants and needs are relative and are difficult to define from person to person. One person might need what another wants and vice-versa. Other than the basics of food, shelter, etc., I don't know if there's a universal answer to the question, but we can attempt to try and empathize with that other person to determine whether it is a want or a need. Then more importantly, if possible, communicate w/ that person to find out his/her motivations. I think many Americans, black/white/Latino/Asian/poor, feel like they need to belong to something bigger than themselves, but for myriad reasons, are alienated. So. a renewed sense of community is vital. Some posters here seem to want nothing more to antagonize others, which is corrosive to community. Maybe they're fans of other teams trolling us. I suspect in some cases it could be true. Some are just pee-nI. Screaming mee-mee's.

The can and should question is one of personal responsibility and respect for others in this context. Do you agree? I can call another person an idiot, but should I do so if I'm truly a member of this community? Only the individual can make that decision. The results of that decision determine the perception and/or the true character of that person. Self-esteem therapy is a good start for them. Anger management is also recommended.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b, I agree with everything in your post. I just chose not to go as deep into it as you did. Excellent post sir!

As far as the “wants” and “needs” and the “can” and “do,” they were merely simplistic words I chose metaphorically for the over inflation of our Nation and communities sense of entitlement. And your comment: “So. a renewed sense of community is vital”. Is spot on! It’s kinda the point I was trying to make, just didn’t do a great job of saying it.

Now, as far as the forum members go, yes, there is one particular member I have “made fun of” due to (per some of his/her posts) has a genuine self importance of his/her opinion. I have nor will ever lower myself to name calling.

I’m guessing I have to reveal my opinion on the OP when addressing the personal responsibility part of your post. I’m not saying my opinion is the “100% right” opinion, but any place my son and I go, if he sees (he’s 12 years old, so if this is wrong, I’m the one responsible for it), anyone fully dressed in armed forces attire, he takes an extra minute to go up to them and thank them for what they do. And NO, it does not make a difference as to their race.

I do understand there is no black and white (not referring to race, but rather, a lot of gray) in this issue. And, as in my first post on this, I don’t know the answers. I just see the problems and wonder how we can ever get “back to the basics:” in the United States of America. You may disagree with this part, but imo, food, water and shelter are NEEDS. Really, anything beyond that is a choice decision. Choices make us who we are and we – ALL AMERICANS – need to make better choices and understand that the needs separate.

• Options

@YaleDawg Allow me tone this down a bit, pls. There is a difference between students fighting and yelling at each other vs making alleged threats at an adult at a school?

Yes, the teacher innappropriately reprimanded the student, but Ive had my own experience with this very thing that allows me to empathize with the student. In 1989 I was sitting in home room completely focued on doing homework before classes started. The pledge started and despite everyone in the room standing I remained seated and completely oblivious to what was happening around me because I was focused on something else. Pledge ends and the teacher absolutely explodes yelling at me and commands me to stand in front of the class to recite the pledge on my own. I mean SCREAMING. I apologized and said I wasnt paying attention to my surroundings, and she repeated that I would stand on my own to recite the pledge. My response was simple - “No, I will not. I am not required to say the pledge of allegiance.”

I wasnt trying to protest anything other than the fact I wasnt going to be commanded to pledge anything. The shop teacher hears the event in the hallway and enters the room and he also tells me to stand up and say the pledge. I said, “I will not. Feel free to report this to the principal”, which of course they did. The principal approached me at lunch to ask what had happened and I told him. End of story.

I didn't threaten anyone, but had I threatened either of the teachers dont you think I would have been suspended, at a minimum? In that scenario would I have honestly been able to claim to be suspended because I didn't say the pledge? I might have at the time but that wouldnt have been the truth.

Ive been on both sides. Kid wants to protest and has that right, but I am extremely confident a school will not discipline over the pledge of allegiance. The kid did something egregious. .

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Ali was a little to antagonistic to be called a "hero". A leader? Sure. But a hero is far more benevolent than he was.

• Options

It's so bad. I think it's extremely sad that so many people are so easily manipulated with it. They can't understand the big picture in how damaging this is. I actually think it will bring the destruction of America eventually. Sigh... I'll keep fighting against it and hope for the best.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are we there yet, I mean done yet... •rolls eyes•

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Great post! And we're in agreement for the most important parts. And I applaud the fact that what your son does that is commendable. I may not always agree w/ the why we go to war, but I'll be dammmed if I will down the men and women who voluntarily serve our country. I think of my mother who lives alone. I think of my father, who, along w/ my uncle, introduced me to the Dawgs and made them a part of my life in the late 70's. I think of my grandfather taking a bullet in Germany in WWII. And I know that we're better than what's happening there now. GO DAWGS.

• Options

You took part in it earlier now you're fed up with it. If it bothers you, then why do you continue to come back and comment? It's very simple. To answer your question, no, and we're not stopping to pee any time soon.

• Options

"rights were violated"

Strong language. Is it perhaps....hyperbole?

• Options

Hey, I was late to the party. And I have brilliance I need to share.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Thanks for toning it down. I said it would be fine if he was suspended and given counseling to control his anger. Children struggle to deal with emotions and some more than others. Arresting him was overboard. You treat a kid like a criminal and they'll become a criminal. I also think the sub should get more blame than they have been getting.

@RxDawg SCOTUS in 1943 ruled in WV State Board v. Barnette that "the Free Speech clause of the First Amendment prohibits public schools from forcing students to salute the American flag and say the Pledge of Allegiance." Its not hyperbole to say his rights were violated

• Options
    edited February 2019

RE: The 1943 SCOTUS ruling - Was the kid forced to say the pledge? NOPE. How, exactly, were his rights violated?

Is it a violation of someone’s rights to question the person about their protest? I don’t think so

You keep saying he shouldn’t have been suspended or arrested. Based upon what? What do YOU know regarding the specifics of what he said? Rhetorical question. The answer is: Virtually nothing

This is the problem in the country right now with everyone always jumping to conclusions without any actual facts or knowledge. This has been going on since “the Cambridge police acted stupidly” and has continued full steam ahead since the day Donald Trump started colluding to restore the Iron Curtain with his best friend, Vladimir Putin. Yes, I am making the same mistake but the fact there are no other known questionable instances involving the school and police gives that side the benefit of the doubt. Police officers do not want to take children in to custody and charge them with a crime.