Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Wealthy parents bribe their kids in to elite colleges using athletic teams

Comments

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's been going on since the beginning of time. Money talks. It only offends you if you don't have it. Grow up and realize life isn't fair. Want the privilege having money affords you, figure out away to make more. So tired of people thinking they deserve something from those of us that have figured it out.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

uga, you might be the one who needs to grow up and get your nose out of the asses of those who cheat everybody.

It amuses me when people are eager to judge somebody who takes the bare minimum to survive but loves the biggest thieves among us.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Meh...still not enough to get me concerned. My kids go to regular public college. My wife and I went to public colleges. No kid is getting screwed out of college because some rich parents cheated the system. It really is a victimless crime. This story is getting way too much attention.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

@YaleDawg I have reread this thread and it is YOU who cannot keep the issues straight. Sometimes having a conversation with you is like trying to talk to the Sicilian from The Princess Bride. You acknowledged once that you read things improperly. Now it is time for you to do so a 2nd time. Please point to me where I said the parents were paying the schools, and where you corrected me. I'm the one who has corrected you. Sham charity or not - the guy set up a charity to make it look like donations were being made. The FBI is the source for calling the money a "charitable donation." Read the articles. The FBI was pretty clear. You should also check out the "Key Worldwide Foundation" - They filed 990 forms claiming "Grants" were made directly to the schools, so - yeah, you're dead wrong...again

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I literally picked the first pic I found. It was dated July 2018 (whatever -recently).

If Loughlin floats your boat, then sail on, friend.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Dewey" wrote in a comment on insidehighered. com

"Visit Foundation Center to view three separate 990s (2014-2016) for The Key Worldwide Foundation which is the fraudulent foundation Singer used to launder money and make “grants”. There are many more schools listed as receiving “grants” than those previously cited by the FBI, including: $150k & $175k to Chapman U, three $50k grants to DePaul Religious Studies (no joke), $83k, $51k & $203k to NYU Althletics, $60k & $40k to Universtity of Miami, $50k to Barouche College, $252k & $294k to University of Texas athletics and many separate $50k-ish gifts to USC for waterpolo, baseball, soccer, volleyball and USC’s women athletics board."

I suspect the IRS is salivating over this. Many targets. Hope the IRS is funded.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker "Federal prosecutors say many of those listed charity grants were cover for bribes paid to athletic officials, coaches and others at those schools." What are you not understanding?

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was kind of dismissive of this story at first too. I guess it's because I'm not surprised by it. I just assume the Rich cut corners to get ahead, because they can. I imagine we all do it on much smaller scales in some way. Besides it's not the bribery that got the FBI's attention, it's the fraud. Mainly the charity frauds, and I guess the test scores? Meh... If they think it's worth their time who am I to say otherwise?

edited March 2019

@YaleDawg You do understand what the word “many” means, correct? Now go read my ORIGINAL POST and tell me what I was thinking when I specifically mentioned the coaches as the ones receiving the bribes, Mr Ivy League. Where exactly did I say what you claim? I never did, only now there is proof that what you say didn’t happen is actually what did happen in some circumstances. That’s just not what I ever said, even though you want to say I did.

A charity set up by Singer filed IRS forms claiming they gave money directly to the schools That wasnt what I was ever saying, but since you want to call me out for making this “false statement” then I would be remiss not to point out that I would have been correct - had I actually said that.

What don’t you understand? I don’t know where all of the money went but I was very clear in my OP that the arhletics coaches at Yale and Stanford were the ones at the schools who took bribes. I don’t think I was very cryptic with my words, either.

As Yoda would say, “Easily confused, you are.”

pg. Frankly I think this is just another example of people feeling better about themselves by identifying with those financially and socially above them. You are kept under the thumb of those who pander to the interest of the very wealthy in a thousand different ways. Now, if this was about some low dollar scam perpetrated by poor minorities, you people would be all over it. That way you'd feel you both identify with the rich and separate yourselves from those less fortunate.

Bank I don't think we know half of this story yet. I doubt the chain of custody ends with coaches.

edited March 2019

I think that is only serious issue in this story. Cheating on SATs...been going on for generations. Not a criminal offense. Setting up fake charities to launder bribes. Yep, that's a crime, but not something that someone should go to prison over. I mean they weren't collecting money from other people. The school staff members who accepted the bribes probably didn't claim them on taxes, so that's a crime also.

The big question is, who monitors all the minor sports and coaching staffs? How do you admit a kid into the school based on athletic abilities when the kid doesn't even play the sport? Doesn't someone outside of the coaching staff keep tabs on these specially qualified kids and at least verify? Kind of reminds me of the movie Major Payne when the guy is put in charge of the ROTC program but the school president doesn't give a crap and doesn't even know the school has an ROTC program.

pg. you're parsing this like crazy. It's hard to know where to start, so I won't for now.

edited March 2019

No idea what you are talking about. This is a story about a handful of people who scammed their way into college. There are around 15,000,000 students enrolled in public colleges and about 5,000,000 in private colleges. You think every single one of them is there based on academic merits. I used to work at a University. People try to scam the system all the time. Even if the system is 99.99% accurate and efficient, that's 2,000 fraudulent students. But no system is that accurate. Lets say it's 95% accurate, that's 1,000,000 fraudulent students. That is probably closer to reality. Who cares if 50 rich kids got in to elite schools?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183995/us-college-enrollment-and-projections-in-public-and-private-institutions/

pg. of course you have no idea.

I've made my point, no need to beat it to death.

This is also about the FBI wanting some positive publicity. Kind of like the police department in Florida publicizing a 77 year old widower billionaire visiting a Jackshack.

Bank, The FBI has had a public relations arm going back to Hoover's early days as Director. It's a real case though.