Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Wealthy parents bribe their kids in to elite colleges using athletic teams

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bribing a test monitor to allow a ringer to come in and take the ACT or SAT in your stead? An organized enterprise making that happen on behalf of its clients?

That's the sort of stuff the news is reporting.

I understand that if I donate $100 million to build a new library the admissions committee might give a tiny bit of affirmative action to my kid who is otherwise equally qualified to the other Stanford applicants. Everybody understands that these elite schools are flooded with elite applicants and can only accept a percentage of them. Daddy's new library buys a bonus point, but only if the kid is qualified.

I understand if my son is a five star QB with at least minimal qualifications but qualifications nevertheless he gets bonus admission points at schools he might be just barely qualified to attend. He still has to have the minimum academic qualifications. In recent years several UGA football recruits had to go to junior colleges to prepare to meet UGA academic standards.

The news is not about influence and athletes and such. The news is about straight out corruption, fraud, crime, and a criminal enterprise.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco so what are your thoughts on the Sphinx and the signs of apparent water erosion that point to the Nile River Valley area once being a tropical rain forest climate as little as 8k years ago?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finally... someone is getting to the meat of the matter. @Acrum21

• Options

@RxDawg Someone has to ask the tough questions

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Now we get in to the meat of this. The “Director of College Entrance Exams” at non other than IMG Academy in Sarasota is the person who was paid by Singer to take the SAT and ACT for students across the country. Yikes!

@Acrum21 I spoke with a climatologist who said the evidence of a tropical rainforest where the Sahara sits is just one big reason why she is a skeptic in regards to anthroprogenic climate influence Methane is currently 4ppm in the atmosphere but has been as high as 12ppm in past millenia This ain’t the Earth’s first rodeo

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the orchestrators of the scheme should be treated harshly. I don't think any parents should go to jail though.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Would you guys cut out the political bull ****. Your opinion's on climate change are just a bit off topic.

• Options

I've never been political on here. I was poking fun at gresham for claiming he had a degree in Egyptian Archeology.

• Options

I’d agree with parents not going to jail. Im not a big incarceration person on non-violent crime.

Could be interesting to see if any football recruits had their tests taken by or influenced by this guy. Part of any plea dea will likely include him naming names. It is plausible to think coaches at a football or basketball program might pay someone to take a test for a kid who needed to qualify.

• Options
    edited March 2019

I am the thread originator, and as such, serve as THE authority for what’s on or off topic in THIS thread.

Your complaints are OFF TOPIC, sir.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No parents go to jail, huh? So, "johns" (customers of prostitutes) shouldn't be jailed, either? If you are a supply-side guy, then neither should drug users go to jail. Just foolin' with ya. Don't care.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If parents are willing to do this, why wouldn't boosters? Sometimes you hear an interview with some college athlete and it makes you think "there is no way this kid can pass an English 101 exam or any 400-Level course". Does anyone think all the players on the Stanford or Vnaderbilt teams actually qualify academically for admissions to those schools? My daughter had almost a 4.0 and spent her last 3 semesters of HS dual-enrolled full time at Pensacola State College. Graduated HS with 45 hours of college complete with a 3.8 GPA. Still couldn't get in to UF, a public school.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did she get a weighted GPA? Sometimes colleges like that better. Regardless, I'm sure your daughter will succeed wherever she is.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker. Holy cow. Connect the dots and THIS is a big deal. Thankfully less so for UGA than maybe some other schools. Do we have any IMG guys now that Nauta is gone?

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's vastly different. You had one coach who took $1.2M in untaxed income. I would love to find a school with athletes who "barely speak English." I get that athletes get admission in cases where maybe they wouldn't otherwise but this is a little extreme.

We should also define elite because if you're talking top 10-15 in the country they don't give out athletic scholarships unless you fall in line with non athlete admissions standards.

• Options

Bank, I wouldn't go so far as to say don't incarcerate nonviolent criminals. Many white collar criminals destroy countless lives through pure greed. I think many Wall St types should have done harsh time for the acts that led to a near collapse of our financial system in 2008. I think of victimless crimes like drug use when I consider people who shouldn't be jailed.

• Options

AnotherDawg, Nolan Smith went to IMG.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks @WCDawg. I felt like I was overlooking someone big/obvious. Yikes. Hopefully this comes to nothing.