Home Diamond Dawgs Baseball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Diamond Dawgs

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No doubt. Wilcox played right up the road from me, kid is really good hopefully next season he’ll see some mound time.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The game at Kentucky this Sunday has been rescheduled to a 10:00 am start. I guess I'll be listening to the game at the golf course.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have to get Mason Meadows back. Biggar had 3 passed balls in one inning today that allowed 3 unearned runs. He just simply couldn't handle how hard Wilcox was throwing. We flat out beat ourselves today. The kid that pitched for UK will be a top 10-15 pick in the draft though.

We will only be as good as our pitching and defense carries us. Our lineup is NOT imposing. We have a few guys that are having great years offensively (Maxwell, Tally) but we aren't gonna win many slugfests. We are VERY banged up right now, and our lack of depth n key spots showed today. Gotta get healthy n just keep playing. Hancock and Locey give us a chance to win 2 of every 3 game series. But everybody has off days, and we just need someone to pick up the slack.

Yea he has not only rd 1 stuff; but #1 pick stuff. He can be as dominant as anyone in college next year. Just has to find himself over this season and take a few lumps. Biggar sure didn't help him out today.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In baseball, there's nothing more painful to watch than a backup catcher who's not up to the task. Been there as a coach, and it's a helpless feeling.

Me too. As helpless as you can feel as a coach because it really doesn't matter how well your pitcher performs because passed balls, not being able to throw out a runner etc; just destroys any hope of winning a game.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really good start to SEC play so far

• DGD28DGD28 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MacDawg15 I think its too early to write off Biggar yet. Yeah he has struggled a little bit behind the plate, but lets not forget he was crucial for us in the LSU series.. Had a crucial pitch hit RBI in the 8th to give us the lead and in game three came up clutch again with a HR that extended our lead 8-5. So he has done some good things for us even though he's been a bit shaky, I think with time hell get more comfortable behind the plate too. Obviously we want meadows back but I think well be fine till he returns.

Oh he definitely came up big in the LSU series. I'm not saying he has no purpose on the team or anything like that. I just meant he struggled handling Wilcox's stuff in that particular game. I was a catcher for 4 yrs in hs, 1 year of college ball and 2 years professionally before an injury ended my playing days. But sometimes catching certain pitchers is just flat out tougher than it is for other pitchers. It can become a mental thing (like Ankiel or Knoblauch) who's careers at those positions in which they originated virtually ended. Although Ankiel came back as an outfielder.

Just meant for that game I just believe after the 1st passed ball, he really started thinking about it. And that's when whatever your thinking of happens again on the diamond. I believe he'll be ok. I'd just do ANYTHING possible to not let him think there's a problem though. Overthinking is poison on the baseball field.

• DGD28DGD28 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Another ranked game today at Clemson, lets get this win.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Probably not going to win tonight in all honesty. It'd be nice to against a good team but with a huge conference series looming on the weekend and the injuries on the pitching staff, plus another game vs KSU tomorrow, they're likely going to throw some arms that would otherwise not pitch and save the best available for Vanderbilt.

Tim Elliott pitching 7.1 innings changed a lot of that narrative as long as they are able to hang on. I wonder how it's going to go tomorrow though, KSU might not be great, but some of the lower tier pen guys on the team just aren't good right now.

Georgia gets the win 5-3 tonight.

Legitimately curious on how tomorrow goes with the pitching situation. Personally, I'd rather it not be played. Don't need the extra win if (hopefully when) it happens and it hurts the RPI win or loss to play KSU.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will KSU save their weekend guys for the weekend or might they throw one at us tomorrow hoping for the big win ?

Getting that CU win was big; especially on the road. I thought we may come out a little sluggish today against KSU, but Elliot was spot on, Shunk was great as normal, Kristokfak looked as good as I've seen him look all year. And yep @DGD28 Biggar handled Wilcox much better tonight. That's what I was saying, that inning the other night with 4 passed balls could have just been a pressing (oh no ) moment for him. I was always taught baseball is 10% physical and 90% mental. He had no carry over defensively, and should be fine now. DAWGS look really good. We haven't dropped an SEC series yet. With Vandy coming in, if we can take 2 of 3 there; we should be seen as capable of at least reaching Omaha. There will be hot and cold streaks for every team (and player.) But from where we are right now, it would take a colossal collapse to not host a regional as of this moment. Still alot of work to do, and some VERY good teams still on the schedule. GATA DAWGS!

The only reason I had a dv here was because in all reality, rankings mean nothing right now. That said, CU was #23. They're much better than that ranking. But we have literally 7 guys we can trot out to give us solid work even in these midweek games. We still have a few guys on the shelf. So we're getting healthier. Wilcox should get a midweek start after the Vandy series this wknd. Webb, Proctor, Elliot, Smith, and even Moody to go with Hancock and Locey gives us 7 starting arms. (There are a couple more that could, but the trust isn't quit there yet except for relief work with some others. Of course Hancock, Locey, Elliot and Smith are our top 4 right now. But Webb is SOLID and pretty darn filthy. Just needs better command. I hope we're just not peaking now to fall later in the year. Because as we saw in 08 when we were a game away from a national championship, we ended up losing it to Fresno st simply because they were red hot at that time.

Lol don't blame me, blame the guy that I mainly follow outside of twitter and the games that I can catch (as for some reason, I can't use Watch ESPN and I'd really like to figure out why as I have cable but when I put in the password it says "looks like you don't have a DirecTV account" which is a lie) on another forum for those comments and he's permanently shaken about "some" of the middle relief because of how they embarrassingly blew one Georgia Southern game and the Georgia Tech game. But from what I remember it was mainly Christian Ryder and Jack Gowen in both cases and while Stricklin originally said he was pitching the bench vs KSU (according to the same guy) he ended up avoiding both.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough loss yesterday. Nice win today. I don't know what the single season grand slam record for UGA is, but I wonder if this team will contend...