Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Lefty13. Statistically The AL has consistently had better averages offensively than the NL for decades. The NL did start out strong this season. At 1 point I think we had 3 of the top 5 offensive teams. If you check today you'll see it's already reverting to the norm though.

The DH not only gives The AL an extra productive bat, it allows AL managers the luxury of not having to decide whether to pull the starter in favor of a pinch hitter.

• Options
    UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is why I hope they never add the DH to the NL. That's part of the strategy of the game. If anything the AL should do away with their DH.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally agree, but with the ADHD society of today, if they did change, they'd go with the DH in both leagues since it would mean more runs (aka "entertainment").

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

, if they did change, they'd go with the DH in both leagues since it would mean more runs (aka "entertainment").

The players Union would have more to say about that than "entertainment" The DH means more high paying salaries for players.

• Options

Would love to see Acuna win the HR derby tonight!

• Options
    edited July 2019

Heads up sports fans, the HR derby starts at 8pm, to be televised on ESPN.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I may get killed for this, but, I am in favor of adding the DH to the national league.  I, for one, do not like seeing a pitcher get in the batters box and try to get a hit when there’s 2 outs and the bases are loaded.
  • Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Ronald got a tough draw tonight, Bell has major power. Hope our boy does well 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

UGA4life. NL managers earn their pay when that scenario comes up in say the 5th inning in a tied game when his starter is dealing and the pen is overtaxed. AL managers should make 50 cents on the dollar of what NL managers are paid. Even better, make the DH pay half the opposing manager's game pay, they only do 1/4 of what position players do anyway.

• Options

Great first round for RA. Let's win this thing.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod
    Pete Alonso took it down 😎
    only bright spot on the Mets right now
  • Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ugadawg2005ugadawg2005 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭ Junior

We could do it like football where you have defensive players and offensive players. There are great defensive players that cannot hit and great hitters that can't field. In fact, we are missing out of some of the best defensive baseball players whose careers linger in the minors because they cannot hit at a major league level.

To me, it's a game of 9 vs 9 playing both ways. But if you want a DH, you may as well have a lineup of DH's because it would serve the same purpose. And why does the DH have to hit for the pitcher? Why can't the Angels use it for the catcher when Ohtani pitches? In every other case, we can move players around. I'd honestly prefer an 8 man lineup to the DH. The rule is just nonsensical to me.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you are allowed to dh for any position player, not just the pitcher @ugadawg2005

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe somewhere but not in Major League Baseball. Here's what the rule book says:

5.11 (6.10) Designated Hitter Rule

Any League may elect to use Rule 5.11(a) (Rule 6.10(b)), which shall be called the Designated Hitter Rule. (a) (6.10(b)) The Designated Hitter Rule provides as follows:

(1) A hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers in any game without otherwise affecting the status of the pitcher(s) in the game.

• Options

Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, Paul Molitor, Harold Baines, David Ortiz, Jim Thome. All f those players DHed while still great hitters. Imagine how any of them would affect our lineup.

• Options

Neither do I but I do enjoy the strategy not having the DH adds. The manager could (and often does) pinch hit in those situations late in games.

Everyone complains about watching pitchers hit and admittedly most are not good at it.

But remember this

Some pitcher can handle the bat.

After a certain point in the game the pitchers dont really bat anymore. They are pinch hit for.

The NL will get the DH at some point. And the AL will never get rid of it because of the players union.

At some point the argument that both leagues should play by the same rules will win out.

• Options

Very true. The pitcher is just the fielder who stands on the mound and delivers the ball. But anyone could do it.

Also see Earl Weaver rule if you really want a good fun read about the DH

Man that guy was waaay ahead of his time.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The theory that the NL will get the DH at some point has been predicted for the last 46 years since the DH was created in 1973. I personally don't see it ever happening, There's too many baseball purists who still see the DH rule as an aberration.

• Options

The theory that the NL will get the DH at some point has been predicted for the last 46 years since the DH was created in 1973. 

There's too many baseball purists who still see the DH rule as an aberration.

I hear what you are saying but most of those people are older. Father time gets us all in the end.

It will change. Might be 5 years. Might be another 46. But it will.

This discussion has been closed.