Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Coastal. A sign and trade might be worth inquiring about. If both are healthy and pitching well at the end of the month they might be worth renting and offering contracts after the season. If it gives us a good shot at beating The Dodgers in a 7 game serious, overpay a bit as short term rentals if necessary. With Smith being from Newnan and Bumgarner from NC, they might be interested in playing near home for a young contender.

• Options
    edited July 2019

What a throw to the plate by Charlie Culberson to finish a double play and keep The Fish from tying the game in the 9th. Yet another series win to get us to The All Star break. That makes it 3 straight 1 run games in the series.

Man Keuchel looks like a different pitcher than he did in his 1st couple of starts. He was throwing lollipops, now he has zing and break on even the off speed stuff.

Great, great 1st half plus of the season. I'll take a 6 game lead heading into the break every season.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like DK is going to be worth the price. Now, if Folty can make it back, I’ll be a lot more relaxed.

• Options

donm. I agree on both counts. Keuchel has proved he can be a top of the order level starter, now he is healthy and he's beginning to look the part again. I hope we land Bumgarner for the playoffs, He's been truly great in big postseason games.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Charlie needs/deserves more playing time! Need to trade to get a reliable closer. Jackson scares me. Has good stuff and high 90’s fastball but is very erratic. Miss the Kimbrel days.

• Options

he seems to be prospering in this role. Where would you play him?

• Options
    edited July 2019

We need Culberson the rest of this season, as we saw again today. With 2 elite outfield prospects getting close to being ready and Culberson's ability it might be we should consider trading him in the offseason though. Just as with Camargo I'd like to see him get an opportunity to start somewhere. On the other hand Charlie is 30 years old and from Rome Ga. he might be where he needs to be. Guys like CC have a habit of being really valuable come the playoffs.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    It’s not everyday for Charlie so he’s always fresh and ready to go, what a way to make a living 
  • Options

He's a couple of hours from his hometown to boot. If he was 25 he'd be more likely to be itching to start, but I agree at 30 years old he is in a very good place.

• Options

Check out Mike Trout's bare handed catch at the center field wall at ESPN online. It might have been a bit lucky that the ball came down right at his hand when he was falling backward, but it is still impressive and unusual

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Let’s be real Charlie, hits, fields, and throws. He even fills the water coolers, cuts the grass, and chalks the base path. If they would let him he would sell the hotdogs and beers as well. He can do it all. There really should be an award given to the best bench player in baseball. 
  • Options

You should see Charlie on a zero turn mower, dude is the real deal.

• Options

I think the way the game is played now MLB should consider bench player a "position" and have a slot for an all-star utility guy. Or an all-star pinch hitter. Seems like that's becoming an integral part of the game nowadays.

• Options

Really great subs/utility players/pinch hitters have always been a big need. I recall Charlie Spikes back in the 1980s was a bit of a cult hero for Braves fans. I think the increased innings the pen works does make a versatile utility player more valuable though. You can't carry as many bench players when you need 2 or 3 more relief pitchers on the roster than teams carried when most healthy starters routinely clocked 200 plus innings in a season. I think just 1 of the top 10 starters in MLB worked as many as 200 innings last season.

I think it's past time to increase rosters to 27 then add 2 more Sep. 1st when the minor league season wraps up.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Problem with this is it's strictly a NL thing. Not much need for pinch hitters in AL. Bench players there are a back-up catcher, pair of aging lefty/righty DH's who can't run anymore, and a couple of platoon lefty/righties who'll sit today and start tomorrow. Kinda sad - NL baseball is much more exciting and it's real baseball

• Options
    edited July 2019

I hate the DH, it skews offensive statistics with one league using it and the one true baseball league not using it.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Interesting, didn't realize that. Does seem that the NL is on par with the AL that hasn't been the case over the last few years.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pinch hitters are a rarity in the AL. For example, while the Braves have pinch it 128 times thus far this season, two AL teams (Minnesota and Texas) have used zero pinch hitters. They're literally playing a different game. In effect, most AL managers could fill out the line-up card and head for the showers. Just have the pitching coach make the already preordained pitching changes during the game.

This discussion has been closed.