Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019
    Not sure it makes a bit of difference with how the offense is playing right now. Best in the NL right now I think and there’s not a single spot in the lineup where you can catch a break as a pitcher
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s pretty amazing how they are hitting. Hate to see the all star break come up. They are fun to watch. Glad young Soroka got the win.

• Options
    JP1980JP1980 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman
    Soroka didn’t get the win, only pitched 42/3.
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pitching always matters in the long run. Yeah though, the offense is killing it so far. I wouldn't have thought we'd have a top 6 offense in in MLB or that Philly's would struggle. This team has no quit in it at this point, you have to love that.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good to see Soroka hang in there and keep battling on a night he didn’t have his best stuff, wish he could have gotten one more out for the win. Another good appearance by Sobotka. If he can keep throwing strikes, he’ll really help our bullpen.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I’m pretty sure I said somewhere in this forum earlier that Soroka is more likely to be a Hudson-like #1 type than an actual ace type like the Scherzer’s/Verlander’s or like Maddux for a true flashback. We have guys that could become that (mainly leaning toward the former here), but I feel like they have more risk than usual.

I might be being unfair to a 21-year-old, but that’s how I see it. I don’t think I’m talking bad here either. He can be like Hudson or Gray and it’d be a fine, mostly consistent career (considering that I think Gray is bouncing back again this year).

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka is the closest thing to Maddux we are ever likely to see. Both have mediocre stuff, but both know how to pitch, how to attack hitters, and have excellent ball control. I doubt he will ever reach Maddux levels of dominance, that's too much to expect from anyone; but they are both cut from the same cloth.

• Options

I have to disagree with you about Maddux's stuff. He had excellent movement on his pitches to go with superb control and outthinking hitters.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Soroka's stuff isn't really mediocre. His sinker is usually a plus pitch, and the slider is pretty good. He can actually run it up to 96-97 on his 4-seam fastball but that pitch isn't really good without good placement of it because the movement on it isn't great. The change is his best swing and miss pitch, but he misplaces it in the middle of the plate a little too much.

The Phillies came into the game with a game plan of sit on the knee high sinker and I think have a few guys that are the epitome of the launch angle era in that they're better at hitting down in the zone than up in the zone. They didn't adjust for whatever reason until the 2nd inning.

Again...he's more Hudson than Maddux.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Soroka only has to pitch like he did his first 11 starts to be great. Hudson never had the movement on his pitches that Soroka has when he's on. Soroka can control a game in a way Hudson never did. Tim just threw the ball, he never mastered games like Mike was doing earlier in the season. He was so good it was just about impossible to do more than guess where the ball would be. The question is can he master himself and be that pitcher consistently ?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Honestly this struggle is good for him. He is learning from it. This shows he still has work to do. This is his rookie struggles which is common for any major leaguer. It’s time to make adjustment and try new things. I believe the all star break will be good for him despite him having to throw an inning.  He will roughly get about 5 to 6 day so off. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I hope you're right, but I'd still rather see consistency. It's only good to struggle if you get past it and don't keep reverting back to stretches like he's having. Unfortunately the vast majority of MLB pitchers never do reach that point. I really don't think Mike needed to adjust anything, he was getting so much movement on everything he was throwing hitters couldn't adjust, all they could do is guess where the ball would be. Now if he can't be THAT pitcher on a regular basis, then he'll have to adjust, but then he probably won't be special.

• Options
    At the game tonight and it’s beautiful weather for some baseball
  • Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I’m jealous, have a good time @CTDawg !
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it’s the fish, but Julio was dealing tonite.

• Options

JT was spotting it better and he had good movement. Like you pointed out though, The Fish don't have an elite lineup.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Well.... the weather didn’t exactly hold up. We bailed as the 3 hour rain delay started and watched the ending at home. Great pitching win by the entire team.
  • Options

This team is really resilient. I'm more impressed by the day. A 1-0 win after a long rain delay, whatever it takes.

• Options
    edited July 2019

With the signing period about 3.5 weeks away, who should The Braves go after? I hope it's Madison Bumgarner. His numbers aren't where they typically have been but he's come on lately and most importantly, he's been the best postseason pitcher of the past decade. He's been instrumental in The Giants winning 3 World Series.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A package deal for Bumgarner and Will Smith would answer our need for a playoff-caliber starter and a left-handed end-of-game reliever. Since both will be free agents after this season, I think the asking price will be too high. Bumgarner seems to be the obvious choice, given his past playoff results.

This discussion has been closed.