Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big win tonight for the series split with the Nats. Was good to see Gausman have a good game. Even though he was helped by several hard-hit balls being caught, he looked much better than the young guys we’ve been calling up for spot starts.

• Options
    UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We needed this good start from Gausman tonight!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep it's great to see Gausman looking ready to be a factor. Maybe the starting pitching we need to add is already on roster.

A couple of varied observations. Imagine what Acuna might do in a few years when his body matures. Plus, remember Kevin Maitan ?

A shout out to the GOAT Mariano Rivera. Think about this. From the age of 33 through 43 he had 409 saves and a ERA of 1.87.

In post season play he had 42 saves and a ERA of 0.70. He is The Babe Ruth of closers.

• Options

GG. So_Fl doesn't like me, I don't particularly care for you, no big deal.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still see us adding at least 2 arms to the arsenal.

Starters

bumgardner

stroman

minor

relief

smith

giles

the guy from Pittsburgh

• Options

I think it's highly unlikely Bumgarner will be on the market now that The Giants have played their way into contention.

• Options

I think the Braves are planning to call up Folty to start Wednesday against KC. To me, the dream scenario would be for him to regain his form from last year and to be our #3 starter for the playoffs. Since Gausman only uses two pitches, he should be even more effective out of the bullpen. With Julio as our #4 starter, if needed, we could use Fried as another lefty out of the bullpen.

I wouldn’t include Pache, Waters, or Ian Anderson in any trade. Seems like we could package some of our pitching prospects (Wilson, Allard or others) with Duvall, Travis Demeritte, or maybe Inciarte for relievers or a left-handed starter. So far, I haven’t seen any possible deals mentioned that are worth one of our “big 3” prospects, although I might give up Wright.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Markakis is 35. I don't think Inciarte is in our long term plans. Waters, Pache, and Acuna could be our starting outfield for the next half-decade or longer and I doubt we give that up to slightly upgrade our starting pitching this year.

• Options

Coastal. I've lost track of Folty's progress, how has he been pitching lately ?

• Options

Not pitching as well as you’d like overall, but last couple of starts have been better. Like other posters, I think Folty’s problems are between his ears, not with his arm. I don’t think you can put a lot of faith in him right now, but it would solve many of our pitching problems if he does figure things out.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great outing tonight for Gausman against a very good club. If he can give us good starts on a fairly consistent basis (not all will be as good or even close o as good as tonight's) we are in pretty good shape I think. I look forward to Folty's return. It's so close to the trade deadline. If he pitches well, do we trust that and not look so much for another starter....or do we not trust it and pull the plug and add a starter to the rotation? AA has some decisions to make, that's for sure.

Has MLB changed any rules? Can trades still be made after the so called "deadline" ?

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

July 31st is the trade deadline. No more of the August waiver trades.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think we can trust faulty. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and that’s not a good trait for a pitcher to have, at least not a starter.

Not sure I trust Gausman either. Unless he starts throwing the cutter and curve he’s been working on, teams will dial in on the fastball and lay off the sinker.

• Options

Coastal. No doubt Folty becoming his 2018 self would be huge. That does seem very unlikely in the near term though. If Gausman gives us close to what we saw last night it will serve the same purpose.

• Options

thanks. I always thought that trade "deadline" was pretty weird since teams just kept trading and trading after it passed.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it’s almost like trading for a playoff worthy starter. We can focus our efforts on bullpen pieces instead

• Options

It would still be a big plus to add a very good and reliable starter, but it won't be as critical if a couple of our guys find their footing. If Soroka returns to dominant form it would be a big difference maker.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lefty Danny Duffy going tonight.

Braves might put a hurting on KC.

I know Albies likes seeing a LHP. Riley too.

Freeman. He is so good it doesnt matter.

• Options

A tough loss tonight. I'm not sure how to take The Braves having by far the lowest run differential to wins ratio among all contenders . They are just plus 51 at 19 games over .500. One way of thinking says they are tough and they win the close games. Another way of thinking could lead to concluding the odds may well catch up to them.

• Options

AA needs to get to work. Swarzak has been good but that should have been a W last night.

This discussion has been closed.