Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirb. It's common for teams to look to trade players who are running out of options but have no near term opening on their parent team. With the trading period under 2 weeks away and elite prospects in line to make the jump to Atlanta, it still seems likely to me he was being showcased last night. If so it turned out to be more horror show than showcase.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good to hear Joe Simpson on the telecast tonight with Chip. Wish the two of them were announcing every game, with Francoeur, Glavine, and Byrd sharing time as third commentators occasionally.

• Options

I'm not sure it's a good idea to bring up unproven starters at this time. We've had a chance to pretty much ice the division title but the 6.5 game lead has been the ceiling so far.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Concerns about Touki seem warranted.

• Options

CTDawg, yeah Touki doesn't show a lot of aptitude to match his arm talent. He's more thrower than pitcher.

• Options

Kirb. who has remotely called for Ynoa's head ? Being critical of the decision to bring him up isn't slamming the kid. He needs to learn to be a pitcher without being rushed. I still say it was likely tied to looking into trading him in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need proven pitchers, starters and relievers. Have maybe 1 spot in the rotation for a young kid and 1 in the pen also. We can’t depend on the youngsters to get us where this team needs to be. If we keep throwing the young guys out there, we may very well lose the division.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think they Braves thought Anderson was ready. Just needed a stopgap to fill Freid's "blister" start. A proven starter at the trade deadline would be nice Not too sure who they are willing to give up.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we had managed ourselves (and also unfortunate injury'd ourselves) into Wright being the only option that wasn't a bullpen game with Newcomb being an opener in this series.

Folty was available for today, but they probably wanted him to have a couple good outings in a row (perhaps he comes up anyway vs KC because they need to evaluate before the deadline). So the only other option would've been Allard, who lined up directly with Fried's spot (who won't pitch until next weekend). He rolled his ankle in his last start in Gwinnett. If he doesn't pitch Saturday, that's going to tell me that my theory was correct.

But thinking about it now with me having said bullpen game multiple times in another channel, Newcomb as an opener to Tomlin for Saturday sounds enticing given that Tomlin shockingly 1 hit the Nats over 4 innings last month when Soroka had to leave...

Anyway this team has oddly suc.ked on Tuesdays and Thursdays all year and while Teheran can be a little questionable, this team is fairly solid with him starting on the year. I can see a bounce back.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

@WCDawg maybe more of a figure of speech than a literal “stop calling for his head”. Just saying that asking him to be an actual arm in our bullpen is asking too much of him right now.

I also don’t think him pitching up here is in any way indicative of him being groomed for a trade. You very well May be right that he is being showcased, and for all of the reasons you mentioned that makes sense to me. The 40 man argument is actually pretty good and I hadn’t thought of that before.

One thing I want to say though, he has pretty minimal trade value. I don’t think you would pitch him up here to try and increase his value, as 3 good innings in the MLB wouldn’t move the needle much, and him getting blasted may give teams some pause (a la Allard last year). And if he ended up throwing, say 20 good innings up here, we would probably be more inclined to keep him anyway. I could be wrong, but that’s my 2 cents.

• Options

kirb. No doubt if the idea was to show case the kid to potential trade partners it didn't go as hoped. I still think it might have factored in to bringing him up vs giving the shot to somebody who figures into Atlanta's plans in the more near future. If he had provided a 2nd straight impressive outing against big league hitters it might have increased interest and short term trade value.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weird. Jackson gets a win and a blown save tonight. His 7th blown save I think. Gritty bunch they are, the Bravos again found a way tonight.

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We, the Nationals, have the worst bullpen I've ever seen. These are two good teams but you can't ever trust our pen. You guys have a long lineup and it was better than ours tonight. Congrats. No Scherzer tomorrow, biggest game of the year for us.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luke Jackson. Not a closer.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It may be time to try culberson in the pen. 3 innings, 0 runs, 100% chance of success.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Tonight's win seems important. It stopped a 3 game losing streak and kept Washington from pulling within 4.5 games of tying us for the division lead. It was effectively a 2 game swing.

On the down side after finally looking like a closer in his last appearance Luke Jackson looked bad in giving up 2 runs and blowing his 7th save. The Braves scored in the bottom of the 9th to give him a completely unearned win.

Jackson has one of the worst save percentages in MLB, we're back to this again. If we can pick up a top guy who has over an 85% closing rate we need to go after him. Jackson can be of value as another good short reliever, you can't have too many of them in today's game.

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nuke Laloosh gets win this time.

• Options

DGDin NYC. The Nationals are 32-14 since May 23rd. This game mattered but I won't be surprised if we fight it out till the last week of the season for The Eastern Division title. We can't match Washington's 1 thru 3 starters, maybe nobody can.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The real question is who won the battle of the cLOSERS.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know the pitchers still. This Luke Jackson seems pretty good, in spite of that ninth inning HR. He left the ball up. It's going to happen sometimes.

Excuse me if this has been discussed before, but what's up with Jackson's finish? It looks like he's falling to the ground. Kinda funny looking.

But I definitely like the guy's location. That curve ball/change up whatever it is got a lot of hitters swinging and missing. And that was a fine play he made on that bunt attempt.

This discussion has been closed.