Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Braves will most likely win the division. But if the Mets get in...all bets are off

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Disagree we would only use 4 relievers in playoffs. We will use more than we normally would and probably have 7-8 guys we use (counting a couple current starters who won’t end up being playoff starters).Think we may using 3-4 starters and have them all on super short leashes. First sign of issues during the second time through order is an acceptable time to yank out someone like Fried or Julio or even Kuechel.

Bullpens play a big role in playoffs because this is standard practice. Having a starter eat innings is devalued in the playoffs, so you can afford to take them out when you think their bet innings are behind them. You have bigger rosters which means you can use more arms and play platooon splits better as well. For this reason we will hopefully see a few LOOGYS like Blevins and Minter.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Newcome and maybe one of our starters will be long relief, the rest of the innings will be divided among a few players who prove themselves over the next 2 months. I agree you can't let a starter stay in the game if he's giving up too much. I'm guessing 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings will be pushing it.

• Options

If they give up 4 over 5-6 innings they were left in the game too long. Honestly, smart people would say a guy should not pitch third time through the lineup unless he is really in control. I’m pulling people after 4-5 innings as a rule, if I leave them in more than that it will have to be because they are throwing really well and have a track record of being able to manage TTTO results reasonably well.

Also, only probably soroka and maybe kuechel would get the luxury of even possibly going more than 5 for me. Just too much evidence of Julio struggling TTTO for me to even give him a chance, and don’t think I trust Fried enough either. Folty has a long long way to go to get there, and I’ve seen him lose ability to get hitters out in an instant too many times to trust him there.

• Options

I still think as I said that is the high end. It depends on the total situation as to exactly when to pull a pitcher. If our starter has settled down and we have 2 or 3 runs I'd likely set the limit at 4.

• Options

We start a 3 game series in Miami this evening and we have very favorable pitching matchups in 2 of them and the other is about equal. We have a far better lineup though. This is a series we have a good chance of sweeping.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta sweep or take 2 out of 3 from bottom feeding teams. That’s what the Mets have been doing. The Mets run has come from playing 4 teams that all rank in the bottom 10 of baseball.

• Options

Bobby Cox was an advocate of shooting to win every series down the stretch, and he came close most years. It's good policy and solid psychology.

• Options
  • Options

His stated goal was to win every series starting about this point in the season. I came to appreciate how it focused the team day in day out.

• Options

they still count. I’m sure since the Braves pitching is better than the Mets it shouldn’t be an issue

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know if it's been said before, but I love the camaraderie between Acuna and Ozzie Albies. I thought it was really great when Ozzie acted as interpreter for the Spanish-speaking Acuna in an extra-inning win. I guess the regular interpreter had already gone home for the night.

And regarding Acuna: Great power hitter who rarely swings at a ball out of the strike zone. And fielding? Did anyone see that throw he made to get the runner at second? I think it was the first or second game with the Twins.

On the fly from the right field track and received by the second baseman 1 foot above the ground where he tagged the runner out on the right knee with the left foot just inches from the second base bag.

Truly remarkable throw.

• Options

Didn't say the games didn't count. Just stated a fact. I'd be ecstatic if the Braves could do that too.

• Options

I know. Just meant we got swept by them in May and it made me sick bc we shouldn’t have lost games like that

• Options
    edited August 2019

Carmago is part of their little group as well. I don't know if anybody had mentioned it before but I've noticed. It's just one of the reasons I like them batting 1 and 2 in the lineup. The only flaw I see in Acuna's hitting is he gets too much loft to hit many doubles. That might change as his body matures and his line drives go for HRs at a good rate. He is truly special already.

• Options

His main issue is clearly plate discipline though. He has a strikeout issue, and chases a little bit. Compare his at bats to freeman or Donaldson and you’ll be able to see it. Sure line drives are always better, and nobody is gonna complain if he starts hitting more doubles, but for guys like him that hit the ball so hard fly balls work pretty well too.

• Options

I'm not sure a lack of plate discipline is exactly it. He lays off balls out of the zone better than most young players and he's very good at hitting off speed pitches, which is unusual for a young hitter with power. It might be a poor tradeoff to change anything about his swing at this point. As he loses the baby fat and gets stronger he should be able to hit HRs with a lower trajectory ( launch angle) and shoot more balls deep into gaps. That would improve his doubles count. The kid is probably our best baserunner already as well.

• Options

Just got home, great game!

• Options
This discussion has been closed.