Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Hawks trade T. Prince

Comments

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There was a good chance that if they had stood pat on Taurean, that he would've walked for nothing after 19/20. Reportedly, Schlenk and the Hawks FO don't see eye to eye with the rest of the NBA on Taurean's value, so it'd be likely that someone offered him an offer sheet that was higher than the Hawks were willing to match and he would've been gone anyway after the next season.

• Options

Also get ready, because Cam Reddish will become a Hawk on June 20th. He's the player the Hawks absolutely LOVE.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Im thinking the hawks are going to try to trade up For Barrett. No way they use all 6 picks they have on themselves.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GeorgiaGirl. you know for a fact The Hawks want Reddish ? I could be wrong of course but I'd be very disappointed if he ends up on the team. The guy is passive and a horrible offensive player.

• Options

It's a fact that they like him the best of the wings and it's said they're not doing anything with the picks other than stay pat unless they get a 4th pick, then that might be used to trade up into 9-12. Unless Kirschner is being given smoke screens, then Cam Reddish becomes an Atlanta Hawk on June 20th with the first Hawks pick.

• Options

judas. they may just try to move up to 5th or 6th and take either Hunter or Culver. The chatter is Barrett is a lock at 3 and not available for trade.

• Options

GeorgiaGirl. I'm not sure where all of this is coming from. It would have to be from somebody with more inside info than those who cover the league and are reporting online now. I'm not saying that isn't a possibility, just that I'm not seeing it reported yet. Last year word of Young being the target broke about a week before draft night, we'll see how this plays out in the next 2 weeks.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll be disappointed if after all of the moving around, trades and at least mid-level tanking the prize ends up being drafting Reddish at 8. I'll be happy to admit being wrong if he ends up an All-star but I just don't see how that transforms the franchise in any way. Barring trades this is the highest the Hawks are likely to pick in the near future. Given how weak the bottom of the East is combined with how the Hawks ended the season I actually expect them to challenge for the 8 seed in the East next season. Your window for a big move is now!

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go ahead and get your thumb downs ready because it may not make a **** bit of difference in the world how well the Hawks draft or do in Free Agency because the BOOGEYMAN ain't going nowhere. In the 80s his name was Larry Bird, in the 90s his name was MJ, For most of this century his name has been LeBron and for the next 10-12 years it's the Greek Freak so yeah it's not gonna EVER matter how well we draft or develop because the "BOOGEYMAN" ain't EVER gonna leave the Eastern Conference without a more sinister "BOOGEYMAN" taking his place and capping the Hawks celling as 2nd Rd and out. Sucks!!!

• Options

No doubt The NBA is a super stars league. All but 1 title winner since the 1970s has had at least 1 of the all time top 30 players, and some have had multiple greats.

So winning a title takes having an all time great, which takes some luck. That said, it's possible to luck into that type of player, but the odds are daunting. Still, I'd rather be a contender and fall short than to not contend.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You thinking of the early 2000s Pistons team with Rip Hamilton and Co. that won as the outlier there?

• Options
    edited June 2019

PTDawg, you got it. Will Leonard be considered top 30 all time when he's finished ?

Reviewing the NBA title winners beginning with 1980 only Dallas- Dirk and Boston - Garnett are questionable top 30 all time other than those 2004 Pistons.

Over the past 39 seasons all but 3 champions had at least 1 of these players

Jabar, Magic, Bird, McHale, Dr J, Moses Malone, Isaiah Thomas, MJ, Pippen, Olajuwan, Robinson, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Wade, Curry, Durant.

Plus Kirk and Garnett.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I thinking Dirk is a Top 30 player. Changed the 4 position in the NBA. Consistent is what Dirk was night in and night out. I would easily give him top Euro player of all time.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Dirk may well be top 30 all time, Garnett may be as well. Those 2 along with MAYBE Isaiah Thomas are the only ones close enough to question. All are without a doubt top 50 all time.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I have no problem with the Hawks taking Cam R., They now have three first round picks, why not use one on a guy that just might be a star. If he pans out the Hawks are contending in 4 years, for titles. I think at the least he will be a good 3 and D guy. Id package the other two picks and get jaxson Hayes. Those guys pan out and this team could be unbelievable. Sometimes if your a team like the Hawks you just gotta gamble rather than go for a safe player of lesser talent.

• Options

dawgitimafan. Obviously nobody would have a problem with taking Reddish if everybody saw him as having a decent chance to become a star. I see a high likelihood of being a poor shooter and so so overall player though. I hope we go another way.

• Options
    joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lol we all know about the elephant in the room w/ that organization, he performed well when he was an “option” sophomores year , this year he may have been the 8th/9th role

I trust our staff as far as finding what certain players do well , and set them up for success ; hell they even even mad early me a BEMBRY fan lmaooo

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s definitely complicated. Our superstar point was the worst defender in the league statistically at his position (look it up)

Our pogo stick forward is growing by the game (see last game vs Pacers) but still has holes in his game.

We need a lights out shooter who can defend. Might not be one of those in this draft, but there are defenders.

Personally, I would keep the first rounders. 2nd round is draft and stash, unless we can land Admiral.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Well there’s this - if “everybody” saw him as having a decent chance to become a star then he wouldn’t be available at 8. You are correct about his shooting %, but he took 102 more 3PA than 2PA. Shot selection kept him from ever finding his groove or confidence. Patience alone would greatly increase his shooting %. Makes me think of Josh Smith. Hopefully, Reddish is more coachable.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Bank- I get there are reasons Reddish is projected to be available at 8. When you dig into his overall stats it's no prettier than the raw shooting percentage though. He shot under 40% on 2 pt shots, his effective shooting percentage was low. His per 40 minute rates and per 100 possessions rates on rebounds, assist, steals and blocks are all subpar for his position. You can look at a player like Draymond Green and say he wasn't prolific in college, but the advanced stats were far better than Reddish had in his lone season for Duke.

So the answer to me is MOVE UP and land either Hunter or Culver.