Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hawks trade T. Prince

dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited June 2019 in Basketball

This seems like a boneheaded move, a mid first round pick in a weak draft? Huh? Prince is much better than this Crabbe guy at much cheaper. Do. Not. Get it.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

I don't see giving up Prince as a big negative. The worst part of this deal might be taking on an extra 14 million in salary this coming season then Crabbe becoming a free agent.

Of course what we do with the 17th pick this draft and The Nets' 2020 1st rd pick will determine how this will work out. The Nets' 2020 pick is lottery protected, so that blows.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like a good trade for the future, get #17 pick this year and lottery protected 1st round pick next year, and Crabbe only has one year left on his contract. With three first round picks last year and three more this year, the Hawks are giving themselves a good chance at finding some young players that can help them. Since they’re unlikely to attract any top free agents anytime soon, they are going to have to build through the draft.

• Big_jamon_dawgBig_jamon_dawg Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Love this trade. Two firsts for TP and salary dump is a huge victory. Trust in the Schlenk

This doesn't make any sense as a ''salary dump''. Prince makes around 3.5 million this coming season and under 5 million in 2020/2021. They took on a 15 million contract for this season.

The only way this makes sense is if the picks we acquired pay off.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just don't think prince fits in the direction the Hawks are heading. He isn't a great wing defender and his offense doesn't make up for it. No reason to keep him when you can get a 1st round pick

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great trade because u had better b looking for the best 3 and D guys and a rim protector who can hold his own on switches and stretch the floor offensively. With 6 First Rd picks in the next 2 drafts, I'm betting Sclenk will unearth AT LEAST 2 more core pieces to surround Trey Young and John Collins with.

• ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thing with the NBA salary cap is they have a minimum amount you have to spend each season. Since Klay Thompson isn’t coming to Atlanta, you would have all of this money and no one to spend it on. So if you can make move that helps you acquire new young cheap pieces, and a player that will eat some of your salary cap space for one season, it’s a good move.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It used to be so easy to be a GM. Way too complicated now...much easier when the owners ran everything and there was no such thing as free agency. Thanks, Curt Flood. s/

edited June 2019

Actually Flood was a bit of a hero. Flood and Andy Messersmith changed pro sports forever.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the trade. The Hawks are thought to be eyeing Reddish with the 8 pick. Depending on how they feel about Hickson and whether he will be available at 10, they may see the best player available at 10 as another wing. Huerter will take most of the minutes at one wing with Baze also in the picture. With Prince and possibly 2 young guys that they want to develop sharing minutes at mostly one spot, the trade eases the log jam. They took Crabbe to help the Nets free up some money and get two 1st round picks. I would look for the Hawks to go all out on packaging 2 of the 3 first round picks and maybe one or two second rounders to try and move up to the 3rd pick in the draft for Barrett. Having the expiring contracts of Plumlee, Baze, and Crabbe may also be attractive for maneuvering in trades going forward.

edited June 2019

I like the idea of trying to move up for Barrett, Culver or Hunter, I hate the idea of drafting Reddish.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not exactly a deep thought I know, but WHO we draft is key here to scoring the trade. We have a lot of picks now. I hope we can evaluate and draft well.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hawks need to move up with all these picks for a good wing player.

Gresham. The GS Warriors's highest pick was 6th when they built their roster. No doubt evaluating prospects is a huge part of building a championship roster. The team needs to hit on at least 1 elite player and a couple more good role players in the next 2 drafts.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. I think if you move up though the Hawks won't be there to draft Reddish somewhere between 8-10. The 3 guys you highlighted are who the Hawks should Target somewhere 3-5.

edited June 2019

PTDawg. I didn't mean to imply we'd move up to take Reddish, I don't want to take him period. I get the argument that he has promising form on his shots, but shooting 35% on the college level is a huge red flag. You have to be able to shoot at a reasonably good percentage in today's NBA or you're a liability.

My preferences ( of the real possibilities) are in order..

1. Barrett. a long shot but we now have 5 1st rd picks and a boat load of 2nd rd picks in 2019 and 2020, that gives us bargaining power.
    2. Culver. I like his offense better than Hunter's and he's solid all around, he can play defense and handle the ball.
    3. Hunter. Excellent defensively and he's good on set shots, he looks really awkward moving with the ball though.
    edited June 2019

There's a real possibility we moved Prince to add chips for the 2019 draft. If so what would we be willing to offer to move up to 3rd for Barrett ? I'd offer Our #8 pick and #10 pick in 2019 and our earliest 1st rd pick in 2020 for the 3rd pick or both our 1st rd picks this year to move to 5th or 6th to take Culver.

• joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2019

It’s a GREAT trade !

2 first rounder for our 6th man ? Bringing in an EXPIRING vet that fits our offense that we can throw away after 250 days ?

Not to mention avoiding being FORCED into decision to pay TP to retain him after this season (RFA) ; I’m sure he will get $12-15M offers.

after this 2020 season (outside of this draft class) we will only have 4 players under contract (Collins, Young, Huerter & Spellman) who are all CHEAP right now ; we will have an EXCITING team with more futures assets & boatloads of cash to thrown around to free agents (Jalen Brown would Be NICE)

joe. I have no idea if Jalen Brown will be available but in my mind his stock went way down this season. You'd expect a talented 21 year old to make a lot of progress year over year but he was about the same as last season. I think everybody expected him to be around 20 PPG and be more efficient in 2019, he was neither.