Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Lakers trade for Anthony Davis..

13»

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    New Yorkers are dreaming.   I wouldn’t expect Durant to join the Nets real soon.   He has a player option for $31.5 million, which is likely insured by GS.   The Warriors can sign him to a Supermax 5 year deal at an estimated $220 million, or $38 million for next season, although that number cannot be insured.  I expect him to sit out most, if not all, of next season as a member of the GSW.  

WC, Durant was injured in game 5, so yeah, it wasn’t much of a secret ahead of game 6 that Durant had an achilles injury.  😃
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Bankwalker. Of course everybody knew Durant was injured, but GS was calling it a calf injury right up to where the achilles blew completely out in game 5. I did misstate it as game 6 but the conversation by the radio jocks was prior to the achilles blowing out. So did management know as these guys claimed ? If not, why not when people outside of the organization seemed to know ?

Stay tuned.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a long time Lakers fan I like this trade, because it gives them a star player they can build around for the future. However, the key to this deal is to delay signing by 30 days to secure extra $5-6M, affording the Lakers the opportunity to sign another max contract player. The Lakers need a top quality shooting Guard to go with LeBron and Davis.

Lastly, as much as I like the move, there's no question it's risky. They are giving up a lot of talent and youth to New Orleans. I wish they could have kept Josh Hart.

• Options

C_F. it makes sense BECAUSE it's the Lakers. They don't have to depend on the draft like other teams. Elite players will want to play in LA, for the most glamorous team with 2 super stars. For evidence of their appeal, both Lebron and Davis chose them over pretty much every other team in the league.

• Options
    @Kasey I am NEVER wrong.  Sometimes mistaken, but at a very small rate.  

So anywho, which of the FACTS I presented are incorrect?  

The Nets will struggle to ever put together a championship roster.  Nobody wants to play there under the combination of punishing progressive tax code and horrible weather.   The Rangers are terrible.  The Nets arent any good.   The Knicks are the WORST, and the Mets could be eliminated by the Braves over the next 3 days.   

Have you dusted off your Yankee gear yet?  

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    @Bankwalker

1. Kyrie is a foregone conclusion to go to the Nets. This isn’t your uncle’s New Jersey Nets. And it isn’t your Brooklyn. I’d venture a guess you’ve spent very little time there in the past 10 years.

2. These NBA players all have money. They aren’t motivated by it like the generation before. They want flexibility and legacy. If KD comes to the Knocks and wins a title, he’s a god. If Kyrie takes BROOKLYN somewhere (I’m dubious) but he will experience the same. 

3. The Rangers have an owner problem, not an Nyc problem

4. So do the Mets. They also have a manager problem. 

5. Best restaurants in the world. Most beautiful women from all over the world come here (some even from down south) and left alone to be a big time celebrity. You’re operating with a NYC in the 80s mindset and your bias is clearly showing. 

6. Never owned Yankee gear. Never will. Thanks for asking
  • Options
    @Kasey.  No need to change the topic.  Let’s stick with sports.  Beautiful women are everywhere.   That’s not a draw for athletes, who can pick them up in any city.  Quality reataurants?  Sounds like a good reason to visit dor a weekend.  

So you agree with my earlier comments.   KD isn’t going to the Nets?   That was the premise of my post.   

It would be foolish to sign KD to a new contract when he hasn't even started rehabbing from a ruptured achilles.    $40 million not to play, with no guarantees he returns to previous form?   I just don’t see it happening this year.   I’m betting KD exercises his option for another year with GS before testing the waters.   
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    @Bankwalker

fair enough. When you put it that way I suppose it’s possible. But I think all season long he’s been burning bridges and is ready to leave. The Knicks are desperate enough to pay him to sit and hope he returns to form. Can’t see BROOKLYN hamstringing themselves that way. They’re closer to playoff glory than the Knicks are
  • Options
    edited June 2019

WC - LeBron went to the Lakers for one reason - HOLLYWOOD! He wants to follow in the footsteps of Kobe and get into entertainment production.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yeah, I think Lavar Ball is suffering from a VERY SERIOUS case of delusion. Agreed. A freaking Clown.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

C_F. I think Los Angeles is a big draw for most free agents that go there. It's The Lakers they want to play for though, not The Clippers.

• Options

It's definitely an interesting one to watch. I still expect Durant to exercise his remaining option. If he's really upset with them then he should take their $31 million while he rehabs. No matter his emotions at the moment, that many Benjamins will soothe a lot of hurt feelings.

• Options

In the past I would agree with you and evidence would support that case, however perceptions have changed dramatically since Dr. Buss' passing. The Lakers are now widely perceived as one of the worst run NBA franchises. A lot of the blame rests on the shoulders of Jeannie Buss, but she's not the only one. IMO Mitch Kupchek was the worst GM the Lakers have ever employed and his legacy of mismanagement is still being felt.

Conversely, The Clippers recent success is attributed in large part by how Steve Ballmer runs his organization. As the former CEO of Microsoft he knows a thing or two about running successful operations and players are taking note. Will they ever achieve the Lakers status? NO.

Having Anthony Davis onboard, I believe the Lakers will be able to draw some more key talent - spite of all the dysfunction.

• Options

C_F. 2 of the top 5 or 6 players wanted to play for Lakers, and they both will. The franchise still has appeal to top players.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    And Cali wants to pay for free healthcare for the illegal immigrants! Very nuturing place to raise some kids. Taxes there is insanely high but these guys make enough to figure it out. The only real turn off would be the paper straws. That is the deal breaker if it were me. Smh
  • Options
    Well this surprises me - Kevin Durant has declined his $31.7 million option for next season and will become an unrestricted free agent.  He is still expected to miss all or most of next season.  Seems ballsy.  Should be interesting to see what happens.