Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

When will UGA switch to Under Armor

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

I don't see Kap and Nike as victims.......st00pid maybe but certainly not victims

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

I will put myself in the corner facing the wall for 1 hour 😆

• NawfDawgNawfDawg Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior
    @pgjackson please with the victimhood bro. I just think it’s funny that you support people who may think like kap. I just want you to keep that same energy all the time. You want it to be one way. Changing our heritage......who’s heritage? When that flag was created those black football players ancestors were slaves. Is it ridiculous for them to be offended? I love this country just as much as any American but the fact that racist artifacts are paraded in the face of everyone is absurd. Why is Harriet Tubman not on that $20 yet? Because we don’t wanna honor “our heritage”, we want to honor a specific image of what we think America is. This is the last I’ll say on the topic. God bless
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But then you have about half the DNC backup and support the decision...mostly because I guess that are supposed to. That’s what I am talking about. Major corporations, politicians and influencers twisting history and making everything racist.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson Can you link me a story where the DNC supported that decision? I can't find anything that says that?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    You’re gonna get the not smooth transition to LT for Andrew Thomas link before that
  • RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's see, some people can't figure out why some black people would be less than excited to celebrate a symbol of our country dating back to when their ancestors were still legal slaves...Hrmmm.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

This ^ and this V

wrap up this strain for me and i suspect others - or ought to. It is pretty convenient to be offended by phantom slights, and serves the demagogues' purpose.

I short, why worry about the non-use of a flag on a shoe, when it shouldn't be on a shoe in the first place? And who cares what the reason is a company uses to comply with the law? Get a hobby, folks, or help the homeless, etc.

I'm hungry for Ringo news, baby! I'm offended that there isn't a bevy of reporters tracking him, pardon the expression, 24-7.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Kap can express his self and Nike can do what they want with their shoe but I don’t have to give two cents which is what makes our country great. 
  • BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Under Armor backed out of their deal to replace Majestic to supply MLB uniforms in 2020 and Nike was chosen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetriusbell/2018/05/24/nike-2020-major-league-baseball-mlb-under-armour

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a veteran I totally agree with you. However, that doesn't always play out on this forum. Go back and look at the up/down votes (not that they really matter in the big scheme of life). But look at the the posts that talk about patriotism, or those that that say we should drop them due to thier stance and then compare it to the ones that say otherwise. Heck even "hypothetical" posts get more up votes. Again, I know up/down votes are irrelevant, but they show you the way people think. Why do you think they block you from seeing who down voted a post.

I don’t know why they did that @BamaDawg but we had nothing to do with it. 

Im all for patriotism. Blind patriotism I can’t really get behind. You don’t like Nike Bc they have Kap on the payroll, you’ll get no beef from me. I’m just wondering (at that point) which shoe company you do support and why. What do they stand for? I’m against hypocrisy and I think we can all agree that belongs to both red folks and blue folks
  • BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I didnt mean to imply that the mods had anything to do with it. I'm assuming that it was done to avoid the standard "why did you down vote me" arguement.

I can honestly say I dont directly support any shoe company. Not picking a fight, but I would take blind patriotism over no patriotism every day of the week. But I can understand your point.

Side note: now I have to go back and start DVing all of @ghostofuga1 's posts to see if he really can see who does it. 😎

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019
    Ok I read up on why Nike shelved this...

Apparently (and I wasn’t aware of this) racist hate groups like the KKK use the colonial 13 star flag. Kap didn’t want to be associated with it and suggested Nike shelve the shoe. 

So they did. A bit reactionary, but I think we can all agree we don’t want to be associated with the KKK and Nazis right? If that isn’t common ground for all of us, then I don’t know what to say. 

———-

This claim by Kap is patently false, and he knows it. There’s no use of the Betsy Ross colonial flag by white supremacist or Nazi groups at all. It’s a lie.  This is a ridiculous and a baseless claim. Nazis use the colors red & black. Are we to change our school colors?  His real problem with it is that some of our founding fathers had slaves. So, we can just expect the American flag, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and anyone else associated with the revolution will be targeted in due time. Down vote me all you want, but Kap is as divisive a figure as there is. He wasn’t ever protesting police violence, he was protesting the American flag, and this proves it. As a historian, this irks me. 

Just Google if the flag is racist. The Anti-Defamation League and NAACP both say no. This Chicago Tribune, not exactly a conservative stalwart, article affirms. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-nike-kaepernick-betsy-ross-flag-20190703-53bqcmqhkzh7dad5dgvpcopkqi-53bqcmqhkzh7dad5dgvpcopkqi-story.html%3foutputType=amp
    @greshamdisco I think I’ve made it pretty clear in this thread I don’t like Kap that much either, but he was explicit in his desire to see change in police brutality. We can argue his methods (id prefer not) but the man was protesting police brutality. 

Having said that, it’s obvious the guy hasn’t thought out his strategy whenever he opens his mouth. 

Regarding the use of the flags, I’ll do more research. Nazis clearly use red and black, but the KKK use many flags
    Update: read an article and experts say it’s used, but rarely...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/1629660001

If you wanna read. So like I said earlier, Nike made a reactionary decision. You can agree with it or not, but UGA isn’t switching to Under Armour...
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    The fact an item has been carried a few times by someone who is a racist doesn’t make the item racist.  This is sort of like the Tea Party rallies.  Just because a few liberals showed up at Tea Party rallies and pretended to be racists doesn’t mean all liberals are racist.  
  • WillDawg82WillDawg82 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UA makes me think of Auburn 🌽🌽yuk!,