Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

When will UGA switch to Under Armor

Comments

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Before we talked, McGarity checked in with John Meshad, the athletic association’s director of equipment operations, about the uniform pants. The gist of what Meshad told him, McGarity said, was “It all gets down to Nike being able to provide the material. They have this shiny material called Cordura. Unfortunately, it’s a heavier material and, when it gets wet with rain or sweat, it adds a pound or a pound and a half to the overall weight of the uniform,” which UGA finds unacceptable.

“It is not as good a performance model as the current Nike material,” McGarity said, and “they haven’t been able to make a better performing shiny material. They’re hoping to lessen the weight, but they have not been able to solve that problem.”

I speculated that perhaps not enough teams request such a material in order for it to become a priority for Nike. “I guess not,” McGarity said.

Still, he said, “It doesn’t mean we have stopped advocating for it or asking for it.”

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not buying it. All the left has to do now is just claim everything is a racist symbol and people believe them. No versions of the American flag are racist. What if some small lunatic group of people started using the UGA flag as their symbol? Where does this end? Nike consistently sides with the people who are perpetually outraged and offended by American values.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    @pgjackson I’m not sure you read everything I wrote
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read every bit. We can’t keep cowtowing to people who find offense with everything, especially when it coms to our heritage. There is nothing racist about any American flag. I don’t care if the KKK HQ has a Betsy Ross flag flying...that does not make it a racist symbol. We need to be careful about concessions simply because someone is offended. Nike caved once again.

How many people would have been offended by that shoe? Probably a statistical 0%. Instead now the Original American flag has been turned into a racist symbol. It’s a gradual chipping away of Values.

• NawfDawgNawfDawg Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior
    @pgjackson you should prolly stop supporting the team, I’m sure most of the black players on the team side with Kap. So go ahead and hate them all now for their views and don’t cheer for them on Saturdays. Own that attitude 100% of the time, don’t pick and choose. 
  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019
    This thread reads like a monty Python sketch...i read this debate with Graham Chapman and Eric Idle's voices in my head substitute apparel for coconuts and Bob's your uncle.
    I give up. 

Some people here welcome discussion. Some people just want their opinions validated. 
  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I read that. It doesn't say that UGA staff tested it. Your initial comment was not a fair representation of the McGarity article.

As to Cordura, it weighs 8 oz per sq. yard in 60" width, 500 denier (fiber thickness). The 300 denier weighs 4 oz (only in Black from this re-seller). I can find nothing that suggests that the material holds water. In fact I found descriptions as breathable, and below, "water resistant". I do not doubt that UGA was told what the article reports. But, I have dealt with enough vendors to know that they can be creative when their backs are to the wall.

FYI. The 1000 denier which is available in silver, is 11 oz per yard, but is likely not suitable for game pants - just a guess.

And I provided earlier a manufacturer that has silver colored game pants. They were polyester-spandex. (Which might be what the standard Nike game pants are -?) Probably are several manus.

Again, it is very likely that Nike, for market reasons, has no interest in providing silver colored pants. As to "performance", the deal is that these would be worn perhaps once per year. They do not need to be Cordura nylon, although several manus offer game pants in nylon. Rawlings has a Silver Grey that is 88% nylon:

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Hopefully this picture of Badass American patriotism doesn't offend the snowflakes.
  • LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Nope. It’s an Airbus. Commies.
  • orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Same flag that was behind Obama at his inauguration. 
  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The battle of Fort McHenry was fought during the war of 1812 as well.

@orlando you mean the one not on a shoe for sale though right?