Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bobo

Comments

• Options
    Kdubb0211Kdubb0211 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t call them big names yet, I mean Gardner didn’t do much until he got to Wazzou. He was gonna be a backup at Bama before Leach got him. Daniel Jones also was coached by David Cutcliffe who like Leach is a “guru”. I’m not saying the school is bad I’m not saying it’s not elite just saying there’s questions when it comes to Jake Fromm.

I’d like to see him work with Whitfield but that’s just me.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had always heard Tom House was the top QB guru. At least in terms of mechanics. Current or former clients include Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan. But he's based in California so maybe it's not feasible. Or maybe he only works with pros.

• Options

There’s a lot of good ones out there. Shea Crouse and Whitfield to my knowledge. But that’s about the extent of my qb coach names. As far as private anyway.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

Edit: Nevermind, no context to that rumor.

• Options

If that was the case bobo would be here by now and someone would know he was on campus. I seen the same rumor on 24/7 and it’s just that. Or maybe I’m wrong we’ll see

• Options
    papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you are bringing Bobo in as co-OC/QB coach/playcaller, I don't see anyway Coley stays because you have just publicly stripped him of all power and authority so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a spot on the staff. Honestly, I wouldn't be super geeked at bringing Bobo in as an analyst...I think there are better, more innovative minds out there that could help modernize our offense than him and if you are looking to use the analyst position as a way to groom and nurture a future OC candidate (like Johnson was) I would it be a more forward looking than a nostalgia play like Bobo. It also think it is notable that that all the places he is being connected with are more a product of his strong personal relationship with the HCs (Muschamp and Smart...Pruitt (analyst)) and his likability as a person (see this heavily in the UGA beat) than a reflection of the esteem in which his offenses are held.

• Options
    Jhorne2000Jhorne2000 Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great debate @SoFL_Dawg and @GrayDawg I enjoyed reading. Hopefully the two of them figure it out and hang 40 on LSU tomorrow.

• Options
    Jhorne2000Jhorne2000 Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

On Bobo , I read where he reached a settlement with CSU , and also more rumor he may go to SC as OC

His settlement is offset by whatever he earns at new job - so he’s going to earn the same amount no matter what. If you’re Bobo , it seems like you could find a better spot than OC for a coach on the hot seat. Maybe I just don’t like SC.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, but on the other side of that coin, reasons FOR going to sinking SC ship would be:

-A way to ease back into the SEC, he's been gone for 5 years. He should test his health too.

- If they fail, it doesn't look like his fault, and unless USC wins 10 games next year, Muschamp is probably gone anyway.

- On a lesser note, fans gave Bobo a lot of grief while he was at Georgia, not sure if he wants that outside noise coupled with his health issues. Not to say SC fans aren't vocal, but expectations are lower and they wouldn't be on his case after his first sub-30 point game.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg I wasn't trying to come at you I just wanted to have a debat, though I can see it coming across that way... my bad.

I get what you're saying about Coley scrapping some of the playbook. I get that there are a lot of things Fromm needs to work on. I just don't see how Fromm can look so terrible lately when he has generally looked so good. On top of that, the areas of strength on offense, like the line and running backs, have fallen off from the past two years as well. Maybe this is expected in a transition year, but why transition when we don't have the personnel in place? Especially when we have a championship calibur defense.

I hope Coley figures it out, because at the end of the day he's got to get production from his players. I don't think he has two years to wait for another QB if the offense doesn't pick it up. He's gotta make something work with the guys we have.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Word is Bobo is in Columbia and has an offer on the table for OC, this from a fomer USC jr. Player that I know who is close to the program......

• Options

That’s interesting, I don’t see you as the type to post something unsubstantiated either. If that’s the case I hope there’s some kind of change on the offensive side of the ball to help the offense.

• Options

Absolutely! We’ll see if he’s right, I’m thinking he probably is.

• Options
    Dawg53Dawg53 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I keep hearing this take all year. How did Bama’s evolution help them? How have the past 2 seasons panned out as opposed to the years prior. How has OU’s offense worked out for them? How many playoff wins do they have? I get it that we want more out of our offense than we got this year but I think it is totally false to think that quick strike offense takes us to the next level.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

It gave them 1 natty as the second half when they switched to Tua was foreshadowing to their RPO offense that came in 2018 and 2019. I don't remember all the details, but there was a guy that said he went back to rewatch that half, and they ran a lot of RPO with Tua coming in.

Personally I think Saban's coaching choices costed him the title vs Clemson in 2018. He's seen Kirby threatening him on the trail, so he beefed up his recruiting through the coaches and it worked but bit him in game when it was closer to an even match, and probably could have even before that game (the missed FG crushed Georgia mentally on the sidelines last year). Then this year, several injuries just screwed them over. I think they've peaked, but with Saban's prowess, you won't be able to count him out until he's retired.