Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bobo

Comments

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure anyone would want to sign up to work for Muschamp. First, he’s been known to be hard to work for. Second, you’d be smart to rent a house, not buy one. Muschamp may not survive 2020.

• Options
    Kdubb0211Kdubb0211 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to agree that the offense has been a **** show.

I think you made my case about being in over his head. Square peg round hole, he knew he had these challenges in January. There’s all this talk about how complex our system is, well it probably shouldn’t have been this year. The OL has been a musical chairs and I put that on Pitt. Rotating too many to keep people happy is what it seems, especially at RG. Every team has injuries though and we’ve recruited better depth than anyone. As far as WRs not knowing the plays that’s minimal fault to Coley, that goes back to simplifying the playbook. But you mean to tell me Hankton and all the support staff can’t help or stay on these kids to learn the playbook? There’s definitely more to being an OC than calling plays.

It’s definitely a lot to manage and I don’t think he was ready for it. What’s it going to be like next year if Fromm leaves, Swift, both Ts, both TEs, Cager maybe DRob. That seems like a harder situation to manage than this year, No?

• Options
    papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I think Coley would probably do better with Beck or a cleared Mathis starting rather than Fromm because while not "elite", they have a wider arrays of tools and a higher ceiling in terms of athleticism that would allow him to open up the playbook more. This year's offense has been less than optimal and while Coley and inexperienced WRs have caught much of the flack for it, I wonder how much should fall on Fromm too and whether some of the playcalling issues are a result of trying to coach around his limitations.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

He’s dumbed the offense down, you’ve likely noticed we were running the same plays over and over, simple and basic concepts. Bunch of stick and stop routes, bunch of jet sweeps, didn’t get our RBs off tackle where they excel, bunch of vanilla. Still had execution challenges.

Im critical of Coley because he didn’t do simple things to help the offense get open until fu. Rubs, stack WRs to get free releases, incorporate more motion, dictate personnel vs. relying on position coaches to assign personnel in passing situations, use more slant concepts and build off of that, Cook (his personal recruit; no excuse not to have your own guy be a more vital part of an offense struggling). Coley has had his struggles but since fu, I’m not sure how a reasonable mind can be critical of his play calling. Seems to me execution, or lack there of, is even more glaring. The majority of that falls on one player.

You may also be surprised when Fromm leaves. We’ll miss him to a extent, probably not as much as a lot of folks in this fan base think. His system and Fromm are oil and water. Only time will tell how it plays out.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is something I can agree with. I love Fromm, but he doesn’t fit what coley wants to do.

• Options

My biggest issue isn't scheme (I don't really care whether we use a pro set, spread, air raid) but rather the mindset at the top that I believe prioritizes other things about the offense far too highly such as managing the clock, wearing down the opponents' defense through a slow grind (the whole mantra of chopping wood), etc. as opposed to optimizing the talent we possess and putting up points. I can understand why programs that don't have access to a lot of talent want to **** things up offensively but Kirby actively seeking to do so while bringing in 4 and 5 stars makes me angry. And to what end? With teams you have more talent than overwhelming them with a high offensive output would be just as effective. With teams you have equal or less talent, any benefit of trying to grind them down is negated by the fact they have just as much if not more talented depth as we do making it just as likely we will collapse before they do (see. national championship game/last year's SEC Championship game). And given the quickstrike capabilities of teams like Clemson, LSU, Alabama, OSU, OU, even playing keep away has limited utility because they don't need long possession to point up points. What also angers is this false dichotomy that we either have a great, explosive offense or a stifling, suffocating defense as though there aren't examples of teams that can do both, e.g. Clemson and OSU. That is a long way of saying my problem isn't an extra 1 or 2 explosive plays here or there...or whether Coley, Bobo, Scott/Elliot, Brady, Day, Riley, Monken calls the plays...it is the mindset/philosophy that wants just the bare minimum from its offense despite investing all these resources in bringing top shelf talent...whose priority seems to be protecting the defense rather than scoring touchdowns...literally putting a style of play over the substance of putting up a many points as possible.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The more I've dug into defense/offense history and schemes lately, the more I realize that most of the flashy offenses you see rarely win championships. I don't think we need to change much about our game. Had our offense/Fromm done 5% better with regards to execution this year - #1 - we wouldn't have lost to SC, and #2 We'd be sitting pretty for this game on Sat. Execution falls on lack of experience. Fromm has only thrown 3 INT's this year, and all 3 were in the SC game, and all 3 of those passes hit the receivers, they just flat out whiffed, can't put that on Fromm, that's simply inexperience. Blame Ridley for leaving early, and blame Holloman for being a sub-par human. Plus Simmons has dealt with a shoulder injury until just recently.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Bobo was going to USCe, I'd think we'd have heard something by now since their season is over. Maybe by next week.

• Options

I’m not bagging on Coley for just playcalling even though I know some are. He’s also the QB coach and even though he is limited physically that one player you speak of doesn’t look as good as last year and hasn’t gotten better this year. We can talk all day about the reasons and there’s probably partial truth in all of them. If Fromm doesn’t fit Coleys system why did Coley not adjust his system? He knew the players he was going to have and knew the possible challenges in plenty of time to make adjustments. This defense is still going to be outstanding next year. Maybe even better than this year. I’d rather not waste it on a guy that can’t adjust his system to fit his personnel.

Agree to disagree and see what happens. I have a feeling Coley isn’t going anywhere but I’m hopeful that at a minimum a true QB coach is brought in.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want nothing more to do with Bobo than possibly being an analyst.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Probably a bunch of i’s to for and t’s to cross on buyouts and new contracts and such would be my guess

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg your last response was too long to quote. All these points made by you and Jake are very valid. Not all the blame is on Coley I’ve admitted that. Imo I think you’re defending Coley too much which is your prerogative and it’s cool if we all had the same opinion there’s no discussion. In regards to Fromm being “off” there’s numerous reasons why that is. Sure Coley was his QB coach last year but still had Chaney to lean on. Chaney isn’t some guru and I think UGA is better without him but he is more experienced than Coley in regards to coaching QBs. I can’t remember what Fromms offseason was like outside of UGA but if he indeed does come back I think it would be wise of him to seek an experienced QB coach outside of staff. Unless, an experienced dedicated QB coach comes in(bobo?) that can help him get back to form. It is tough losing all those receivers, no denying that but there’s plenty of teams that maybe didn’t set the world on fire but played better with inexperienced receivers than we have. We’ll see what happens but being as it’s Thursday night and there’s been no reports of any changes or additions to analysts I think we’ll have all off season to discuss what happens or doesn’t happen with the coaching staff.

• Options

Fromm has a private QB coach (one he has worked with since his HS days). I don't recall his name but the name of his "academy" is QB Country and he has trained/worked with some big name quarterbacks.

• Options

I knew Jake had worked with someone in the past was just unsure of this off season. Not saying it’s not a good camp but the only testimony given by a “big name QB” was Eli Manning. And that’s probably an endorsement because of their association with Ole Miss but who knows. Maybe Jake could benefit from a different private coach as well. Just from my seat on the couch last year he started slow but at the end of the year balled out and played his best and looked like his JR year was going to be like the end of his sophomore year. Not the case his Jr year has looked like the beginning of his Soph year and never picked up.

• Options

The website claims Daniel Jones (a first round pick) and Gardner Minshew (a rookie starter) as clients.