Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Bobo

Comments

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His recruiting acumen isn't my biggest issue with a Bobo hire/return...I would view it as trading in one dated (though arguably more successful) offensive philosophy (Fisher/McElwain/Nussmeier model) for another dated philosophy (Richt/Bobo model). The fact that the main competition for his services would be another coach known for being conservative and unimaginative when dealing with his offenses (Will Muschamp) doesn't inspire me to believe his addition would be anything more than doubling down on the same.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, I’d like to be sitting a bar with you right now with a Guinness in hand to discuss further. Fun discussion.

Assume Fromm comes back...I’m not sure that’s best for Coley but I’ve stated why in enough threads. My take on the potential return, if 3+ starting OL leave, I want Fromm to exit with them. If only 2 leave, I want him to return. We take a step back anyway on OL, might as well take the lumps with a new QB at the same time. One year lump vs. 2 year lump imo.

Bobo goes to America’s armpit...Gotta figure Muschamp is on a short leash, right? Is there enough talent offensively to have the immediate tangible gain to keep him in house? I don’t know but is the stress of being under a perceived lame duck worth it?

Come here and survey the land for a year. See what pieces fall. Coley will be with us less than 3 years, likely because he gets a promo. We knew that when he took the job. I don’t know either way where’s he headed but I do know Champ couldn’t target him with an acting OC in place. He’s gonna shoot his shot but Bobo might be playing the long game after the failure as an HC.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Sunshine pretty much was Richt/Schotty's fault, especially Schotty's. I've heard about that story and needless to say...yikes. Think Cam was more Richt than Bobo too, but Watson was 100% Bobo's fault.

I'm not going to lie that Bobo didn't have his warts (most specifically being questionable QB evals) but I don't think my memory is that bad. Maybe it was Gurley/Murray influenced initially, but he was good on offense once he sought help and after Richt unhooked him. The Mason season was impressive even if you didn't like him as QB as well.

He's a more 11 personnel (spread) guy than anything as well.

It's unlikely though if Coley isn't going to be nudged out from what we're hearing, but my personal stance is Bobo in some way, Enos in some way (maybe I'm too trustworthy of a SSS), or look to the NFL to try to pluck someone that's young that has been under McVay or Shanahan over looking to guys that have been involved in the air raid outside of guys that have been with Lincoln Riley (regardless if whether it has involved more run now or not).

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

That's what I think he should do, but I doubt he will. Why not do the Jay Johnson, enjoy life In athens for a year or two, and then head out whenever Coley gets the head job somewhere like Jay did when Mel got the Colorado gig.

You have to figure Boom is only getting one more year anyway. I can't see that team being much better next year. Are they beating us next year? Doubt it. Are they beating Clemson? Double doubt it. So if he goes 6-6 is that enough to keep him? Don't think so. So now you're getting swept out on your a$$ again and you'll wind up in Athens anyway.

But these guys have pride and they wanna be the man, it's how they're wired. I just think there's a benefit to tweaking things and taking a step back. Adjust your offense. I think adding some of those spread elements to his pro-set offense could benefit Bobo at his next gig. Seems to me like he didn't adjust his offense, and he couldn't get the skill guys to run it in Colorado State.

Someone wanna ask Gus Malzahn how not adjusting his offense is going for him? He's a halftime FG gift and two pick-sixes from being on the way back to Arkansas.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was the secondary recruiter for Sony Michel, Terry Godwin, and Nick Chubb.

Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger (although he got kicked out).

Did he miss on guys? Absolutely. Show me someone who hasn’t.

It took me awhile to get back to this, I was driving my son home from his S&C coach.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not saying throw Coley out with the dirty fish water, but another voice in the room couldn’t hurt. Also, Bobo was an excellent QB coach while the jury is still out on Coley in that regard.

edited December 2019

Amen! Exactly why I want Bobo with Coley for a year. De facto QB coach for Bobo in an analyst role. Plays have been there to be had all year. If one takes the time to watch Miami games when he was the OC there you can clearly see he hasn’t consistently opened the playbook up here. He’s not blameless but he’s far from a bum.

Accurate.Main diff btw 2017/2019 so far imo.Losing the OTs hurts,but if they wind up being Mays/Salyer, I think we're fine.Don't want Air Raid/Oklahoma offense.like what we have.I'd like to have someone back there who's a threat to run it at best, or can buy time to throw by scrambling at least.Carson Beck? If not, maybe Gunnar Stockton bc it looks like Caleb Williams isnt.

issue with taking these guys is that we will see 10 jobs open in a copycat league with owners pillaging successful team's offensive staffs. Heck, Schottenheimer might get a hc gig (lolol that wont happen)

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has there been recent insight suggesting that Fromm is still leaning towards jumping after this year? Because while I was in that camp before this year, I really don't think there's much of a chance of it now.

Or is it just talking about the quality of OL?

I think next year has upwards of a 90%+ chance of being a Jake Fromm year for one more year, then its we'll see after that even with guys that are here or coming.

BTW: I'm not in the camp of wanting an air raid, that was sort of a response to guys that want to go after people that have been under it (even if it has more run concepts).

I’ve recently heard staying but TIFWIW. Heard the same about Holyfield last year and turned last minute. Doesn’t have anything to gain coming back but he loves UGA and we love him. I’ve said before don’t take me being objective about his on field performance for more than what it is; it’s not critical of the man, assessment of the play. He may want to return to go out his own way.

Regardless, he’ll never have protection that he’s had this year. Pass pro has been elite. Mays and Salyer and Truss and Jones are all elite ranked croots, but none are close to what AT is, period. AT’s greatness is so great, he is vastly under appreciated. Best UGA OL in our history for my money. No QB looks good getting hit, especially one that already doesn’t move well.

If 3+ OL go, it’s naive to think we’re going to plug and play and not skip a beat. You don’t replace a top 5 pick, another fringe 1st rounder, and what once was the best OG in college football and not skip a beat. We’re just better equipped to handle those losses in comparison to other teams in the nation.

Even still, the arm won’t get stronger, the legs won’t get faster, the hands won’t grow, the OC likely remains the same, the mind is already NFL caliber, and the wins are already more than most UGA QBs ever sniffed. Nothing else left to be proven. Scouts, coaches, and players know exactly what he is.

• Jhorne2000Jhorne2000 Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hard to disagree with that. As much as we all like the Richt era nostalgia fantasy of this idea - I doubt we will be too keen on the reality.

Also, I’m curious to the level of friendship he has with Kirby. If they are close , it would be hard for me to see either of them wanting to pull the trigger on that deal. Remember all those times Kirby was chewing on Chaney thru the headset. I think I’d not like too much a friend that was a demanding boss. But maybe they can make that work.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

I tend to agree with @Kasey Bobo and his crayons are heading to the armpit known as Columbia. Path has been laid....

• Kdubb0211Kdubb0211 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Definitely don’t think Coley is a bum but the players not executing has to fall on the coaches as much if not more than the players. But no Coley isn’t a bum but I do think he’s in over his head.

• TbullTbull Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was thinking this same thing. OC under Richt and OC under Kirby are two different things. Kirby will chew you a new one.

On the bright side, Bobo was known to throw to the TEs. Maybe he could teach Coley how to do that.