Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not being critical. Just a suggestion. Maybe too big a spread. Don't think the avg. life span in China would be 90, nor only 45 in US.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited April 2020

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. 2 million is a scary number. Really need a vaccine then. Do you have any numbers on the economy? How long can it last in its current state?

Also prayers for your continued health. I am very sorry to hear about your situation and I really hope you can get the procedures you need done soon.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I wasn't trying to suggest anything. Just wanted to know if he had numbers on what would happen if we went herd immunity vs waiting for vaccine.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 prayers and concern for you sir.

As someone who has to have an annual colonoscopy because of family history.....I'm praying you can have your procedure ASAP.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hypothetical...

Neither scenario is real...

Just looking for opinion on which outlandish scenario you would prefer - aka free society that may kill you vs. not-near-as-free that may allow you to "live" longer. A few free years vs. a lot of manipulated years. Play the game! Or don't, it's a **** game for discussion sake...

• Options

Denmen185 -

I have had 2 colonoscopies already, and due another this year as well. Hoping to get mine done with no delays. I have been clear so far, but my dad (died at 51) and his brother (died at 47) both got bit by colon cancer. My older sister had a foot of her colon removed at 46 - they found it later than they wanted, but soon enough and she is cancer free.

Praying for you!

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself with that in your family history.

• Options

MERS and SARS were never widespread enough to warrant continued development of a vaccine and the common coronaviruses don't do enough damage where we would need a vaccine for them. Some previous research into coronaviruses including SARS-COV isn't very promising for vaccine development and preliminary research into SARS-COV-2 also isn't very promising, but we aren't entirely sure yet. There are ways to artificially create stronger immune responses with vaccines though.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There he been major advances since Jenner first noted that milk maids were relatively protected against smallpox, including the past few years. The likely reason we haven't developed vaccine for corona virus is because the SARS and MERS infections diminished rapidly. Attachment proteins on the viral capsule are a logical target. Several companies are applying that approach now. There are other targets being explored as well. Developing vaccines is a mine field, though.

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks @razorachilles, I hope you and your family can say the same.

I do use a press...the ridges play the same role as a dimple in the middle; shrinkage prevention. Hand forming that many patties is a little too daunting for me!

• Options
  • Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Everyone here is safe and well - thanks for asking. Trying to break the monotony of quarantine here in dreary New England (cloudy and 45 degrees today)...and trying to keep our oldest daughter’s spirits up on her birthday today with her friends here in town arranging this lawn sign outside her bedroom window this AM.

She’s not digging the online classes, misses her UGA friends and would understandably rather be celebrating on East Broad St tonight vs here; but we’re selfishly happy to have this bonus time with her.

PS - I second @YaleDawg ’s question...didn’t know that press existed until today but now almost certainly need one!

• Options

Making a prediction that will hurt the heart of some in Dawgnation...

Golden Corral never reopens...

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get it done at age 45 or at the first sign of something wrong. I kept putting it off and that was the worst decision of my life. Praying you stay clear !

• Options

Yep! Had one at 41 when my sis was diagnosed, due to have my next one when I turn 46 this summer, and will have one AT LEAST every 5 years for the rest of my blessed life...

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry I need to clarify. I had surgery and Chemo and hopefully all is okay. I have to have the colonoscopy every 6 months as there were pre-cancerous polyps that had to be removed. All will be well if they are removed again before the "pre" is dropped.

This discussion has been closed.