Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

70% over what time period? If 70% of that age group got the flu over one season you would have the same numbers.

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

You’re right. But it’s not possible for 70% of the population to get the flu all at once due to pre-existing immunity.

With Covid, we have no immunity and can get it all at once. That’s what makes it serious.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fact - this thing sucks. And, under certain conditions, it can be devestating. Under certain conditions, it can simmer below the surface and just be spooky. It almost caused NYC to collapse. It hasn't caused the disruptions in most of my state. It almost sunk greater Albany (GA).

Most places have escaped it's worst-case wrath (again, people are still dying here), but it can rear it's **** head anywhere.

It's viral Russian roulette. Every community wants to get back to normal. To do so, you have to spin the revolver and take a shot. Your probably gonna be fine. But, it may blow up on you. If you never spin it, you eventually starve, go bankrupt, and collapse economically.

Both options suc.k.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Completely agree with this... it's a really hard decision. But do not agree at all with @WayxGaDawg that taking the virus seriously is CNN propaganda. That's pure politics.

The good news is that in the last month or two, there have been signs that treatment options are coming down the tracks. Hopefully in another month or two this game of russian roulette will be a little less scary

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In order for NYC to reach immunity via Herd on a population of 8.4 million requires around 80k deaths of which 20k will occur in those under 65. Using this data, the US population of 325 million will achieve immunity (Herd) after the death of 3.1 million of which 750k+ will be under 65.

As one nurse put it "You're worried about having a party while tens of thousands can't have a funeral".

• Options

Somebody smarter than me answer this:

Shouldn't we see a HUGE drip right now in any communicable disease? I would think colds, flu, "stomach bugs," any viral disease or the like should be really eliminated by what we are doing.

Am I wrong, my medical dawg minds?

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wayx, its a two way street. Liberals should verify anything they read on liberal media sources and conservatives should verify everything they read on conservative media sources.

Try to bridge the divide that scars our nation not add to the fire. Many on here come from different perspectives but show respect and that is important. We can disagree without calling each other names or dismissing each other or accusing those we disagree with of having ill intent.

And back to Covid19, I'm a broken drum as im going to again say why cant we take Covid19 and the economy seriously? Why cant we hope our economy roars back and all wear masks to protect each other and each other's families?

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

NY and CA announcing sports without fans is a positive development. Hopefully this is one step closer to back to normal life

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem here is you're only stating the pros. Shut down, save lives, the end.

What you aren't telling is the economic collapse that would ensue. The poverty, the starvation, the suicide, the increased violent crime.... Frankly I'm surprised at how quick things devolved as it is. I thought we would a little more resilient and hearty. Makes you realize just how close to chaos we are.

• Options

Close to chaos? There's are places in this country that are no closer to "chaos" than they were a few months ago. Again, I haven't witnessed much devolving, as long as I am not watching TV. We have been fortunate, and are thankful.

• Options

That's a separate side of the coin. He was saying that taking the virus seriously and continuing the shutdowns is buying into propaganda.

I don't think anyone anywhere is arguing that we should stay shut down forever. I really want to open back up. But what I don't want is to open back up a month early, a bunch of people die, and then we shut down again.

These costs you mentioned are absolutely real, but a lot of them are charged up front. The damage from an economic shutdown is huge... the difference in damage between an economic shutdown of 3 months vs 4 months is smaller... the damage from 2 economic shutdowns because we opened back up too early is scary.

But hopefully we get a vaccine by the end of 2020 and we can look back on these reopening decisions as a whole lot of nothing.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Politicians know that if the virus claims too many lives they will be blamed unless extreme caution is exercised. They also know that if the economy tanks the blame will be directed at the virus, not the politicians. So we get ultra-conservative political decision-making relative to the negative effects caused by the virus and almost no regard for the economy. Moral of the story, politicians have no morals.

• Options

Honestly their paychecks should go to out of work Americans until full opening happens. The country would open up today

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Day late but not sure if anyone caught this article in the NY Post this weekend...I had heard of the Hong Kong flu but didn't really know when it occurred (late 60s) or how deadly it was (coronavirus that killed an estimated 1-4 million (H3N2) people worldwide). I was struck that we've heard/read a lot about comparisons to Spanish flu in early 20th century but not as much about a similar pandemic that occurred more recently in our collective living history.

Attempt isn't to necessarily compare the virus itself to C19, but rather society's response to it. Understanding access to global travel has made the world more susceptible to global pandemics in general vs 50 years ago, but some striking highlights:

• Highly contagious coronavirus originated in Hong Kong and brought to mainland US via returning sailors
    • There were virtually no restrictions to commerce, interstate travel or trade outside of some businesses having to temporarily shut down because too many people called in sick with the flu for a period (days)
    • Societal/national attitudes re: death at the time were different than today with most Americans having either served or had a family member who served/perished in WWII, Korea or Vietnam. Attitudes towards immunology were different where mothers would organize chicken pox parties to get the neighborhood kids infected early and all at once to "get it over with".
    • Woodstock (300K strong) happened in the summer in between the first and second waves
    • Both President Johnson and VP Hubert Humphrey contracted the virus and survived, Hollywood starlet Tallulah Bankhead and ex-CIA director Allen Dulles contracted it and died.
    • Loved this one: "The idea that a pandemic could be controlled with social distancing and public lockdowns is a relatively new one, said Tucker. It was first suggested in a 2006 study by New Mexico scientist Robert J. Glass, who got the idea from his 14-year-old daughter’s science project."

• Options

There's a few phrases/words I could see less of...unprecedented, stimulus, new unemployment claims, social distancing, politicized pandemic, and other assorted phrases.

I never thought I'd be excited about the idea of two old senile white dudes arguing with each other about how they want to ruin the country more. But I am.

This discussion has been closed.