Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did you mean mass confusion?

Both apply, just looking for clarification...

Or, you can just let both apply...

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

I'm not the one who is a major stakeholder in the mask discussion as I'm retired and don't shop much. But one thing that confuses me is the science of wearing masks outdoors. The only science I've heard is that you're 13 times more likely to contract covid indoors than out. But experts continue to recommend social distancing (6 feet) and wearing a mask when you're outdoors.

If your 13 times less likely to catch covid outdoors, why are we even wearing masks -- outdoors? Also, shouldn't we have some intelligence about particulate travel outdoors and wind dispersion?

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get what you're saying and I believe that is why so many people are resisting the masks. I see people riding down the road by themselves with a mask on and I'm wondering what good that is doing?

When recommendations and policies don't make sense people get disillusioned. When local and state leaders say one thing and do another it makes matters worse. If everybody got all of their information from, say, the CDC and drew conclusions solely based on that information then you'd see more buy-in. When people consider the guidance from the CDC and compare it with other sources of information and what they see with their own eyes, they may not buy-in. Is that a bad thing? Potentially, but I think it is more likely a good thing.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I only wear a mask when I'm out shopping and will come in contact with other people. At home or in my car, there's no way a mask is going on. Those things are too suffocating to wear all of the time.

• Options
    mdpuck13mdpuck13 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Since we're talking about masks; there's been a handful of times I've seen a couple (husband/wife) out in public with one wearing a mask while the other one is not...

Doesn't make much sense to me. lol

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FWIW I went to 2 stores the other day and kept the mask on while travelling between stores as I didn't want to risk contaminating my hand by taking the mask off and on (I also wear 1 glove to handle goods that could be contaminated leaving the non-gloved hand to handle my personal items such as credit card, keys etc.).

• Options

I have a mask in my wallet.

I wear it if I am out and obviously gonna be close to people. That's it.

50% of my motive is to make others feel better.

50% of my motive is to not make them sick if I happen to be asymptomatic.

Let's s be honest. I am a teacher. 95% chance I get exposed to this - and every other germ in America - as soon as school starts back. Every teacher will. That's part of it. Anything less than a hazmat suit does me no good. Hopefully my immune system will bow up and continue to impress me.

Watch for that stat in September - rate of infection in older teachers. That's a sucky inevitably, my friends.

• Options

That seems reasonable. Maybe that is the same logic employed by all those I see driving alone and wearing a mask.

• Options

I assume we'll have some that have yet to be reported which will count for May. Pretty good line set by Denmen. He may have a future in Vegas.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

Kudos go to @GrayDawg . Total for May reported by Johns Hopkins was 41,364.

FWIW Line for June is 30,055 (assumes Tx, Ga and Fl do not get caught).

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

So much for tracking new cases based on gradual re-openings .....

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well good news is we'll know pretty soon if we can have fans in the stands.

I saw some of the Bristol race this past weekend and it was not the same. I thought they were practicing at first.

• Options

Agree with Bristol - but it was better than watching a 2019 replay...

A little bit of excitement here in the upstate of SC. Had a few protest nights that churned out a little vandalism, but that's about it. Hope it doesn't cause any spike in transmission, but - like most places - the large majority of the protestors were behaving, had good sense, and were demonstrating for a cause that needed attention.

The last two weeks has shown an uptick in cases, but still a relative leveling of hospitalizations due to Covid-19 in our state (presently sits at 425). Our hospital systems are slowly getting back to their normal levels of hospitalizations which allows them to make a profit and employ people. If the goal is see the virus dwindle away, that ain't happening. If it is to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed (while the virus runs its course through the population), we have more than accomplished that. It seems like - as long as nothing really spikes in an area (and I think the spacing, masking, and common-sense actions of most) we will continue where we are until a treatment/vaccine comes about. It sucks, because people are still dying (lost 5 more yesterday). But I am not sure what else we can do right now.

The big change coming will be school in the fall. I am hoping that we have tons of testing ability with a quick turnaround by then, so we can trace, quarantine, and keep this thing away from the people it is most often killing.

We have starting workouts for our athletes here at school this week. Temp checks when they come in. Spread out stations in the gym for agility work, rotating through small groups in the weight rooms. It is different, but the kids are getting great work in just about the same amount of time. If protocols hold, there actually may be a ball involved in July.

And, on a side note, I bet nobody gets a cold for months around here. You could eat off of just about every flat surface. Again, if there is a positive from our new protocols is that most communicable disease transfer should be eliminated.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got to perform experiments today for the first time since March, so that was nice.

• Options
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately its still anything but normal. So many new safety protocols that we have to do, but I'm glad I can actually start generating data instead of reading papers and writing a review article all day.

This discussion has been closed.