Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Glad your back doing what you like to do. Sorry that I was making some light hearted humor regarding it. Just trying to lighten things up around here.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is awesome. I can't wait for the day I can worship at my church. Watching it online is great but not close to the same.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My weekly bible study via zoom has kept me sane for the past 3-4 months. Can't fix all the problems of the world, but trying to love and serve everyone I come in contact with, whether black, white, or CV-19 infected! 😀

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Update on the 4 main states I have been monitoring for cases:

Cal - Average daily cases May 1984 June (1-5) 2855. May average tests per day (TPD) was 42565 with a positive rate (PR) of 4.7%. June 1-5 TPD was 58723 with a PR of 4.9%. The increase this month can be mainly attributed to increased testing.

Texas - Average daily cases May 1159 June 1579. May TPD was 20511 with a PR of 5.6%; June TPD was 21942 with a PR of 7.2%. The increased cases this month so far is almost totally due to a higher rate of positive results with little change in test rate.

Florida - Average daily cases May 725; June 1065. May TPD was 20551 with a PR of 3.5%; June TPD was 22718 with a PR of 4.7%. The increased cases of 340 per day is approx split 75 due to increased testing and 265 due to higher positive rate. It should be noted that including today's data the average cases are up to 1099 per day. Since 4/23 (when I started logging detailed data) the 4 highest number of daily cases reported were the last 4 days!

Georgia - Average daily cases May 667; June 712. May TPD was 10209 with a PR of 6.5%; June TPD was 8453 with a PR of 8.4%. The increased cases at around 7% per day is less than the the other states shown above (Ca 44%, Tx 36%, Fl 47%) but there was a 29% increase in positive rate offset by a 17% reduction in TPD. Of the 11 states I am tracking in detail only Massachusetts has a higher PR (at 13.3%) this month than Georgia (8.4% - National average 4.7%).

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a great trend, Den. This sucker is still looming, but to know it is killing less people is encouraging.

Our statewide case numbers are up for sure, as are our cases in the county. I know are testing numbers are way up, but I am sure it's a combination between more cases and more tests.

Our hospitalization rate due to Covid-19 has remained steady in the state (low to mid 400's). That encourages me knowing the number of severe cases aren't spiking, as we have been moving around quite a bit for several weeks.

I still see mask usage around 50% in stores.

A lot of colleges in SC are not going back after Thanksgiving - my daughter will start a week earlier in August and be home through the holidays.

Hilariously, every time I hear someone sniffle in public, anyone within earshot gives them THE WORST side eye you have ever seen...

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

After going on twitter to check in with a zillion people, I just now read Nate Silver's twitter feed once a day. Good, succinct, unbiased (all things considered) info. Highly recommended if you just wanna get the gist

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I buy flights to Europe in July (Croatia and Sweden) for the folks in my company, do you think we'll be able to fly? I know we can get into Croatia as we have a letter from the Croatian government allowing us in for business purposes. What are anyone's thoughts on Sweden?

We are picking up two sailboats and bringing them back to the US. One of them has already been nominated for sailboat of the year 2021 if I can just get the dang thing back here and get people on it, I can sell it. But until then, I am selling vaporware.

• Options

Man...

That's a post a teacher/coach will never make...

Closest thing:

"Do you think Larry can help me haul that John boat out of that cow pond? I think I can trade it to Darryl Mabry for a pair of shocks for the 4-wheeler and a quart of Havoline..."

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ironically, I used to teach high school and taught a couple of the UGA players over the years before they got to UGA.

• Options

June 11 case count for SC - 687. About a %100 increase from recent averages, and BY FAR our biggest daily case count so far.

Will be interested to see the reactions to this over the next few days.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

It's interesting to say the least. We didn't even have testing sites in our 3 county region until about 4 weeks ago. My county has increased 50% over a 3 week period. Up to 31 now. A few surrounding counties have double. No large gatherings, proper business openings, more testing available and cases increase. Not surprised.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just hope it doesn't flair back up and prevent sports from getting going. Obviously, I don't want people to die either. Normally I would think that goes without saying, but you never know these days.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I'm thinking these protests are going to continue the plateau instead of getting it to decline more. Nate Silver (the only source I go to now) believes what we are seeing is a plateau effect.

Good news is deaths have been down during the week

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2020

I think we are just now seeing the impact of re-opening with the full impact of Memorial Day and protests still to come.. Per yesterday's report from Florida which details cases etc. through June 10th, the 7 day average hit a new record for cases making it the 9th straight day a new record has been set! Now the governor is allowing an indoor arena to be filled in August just 25 miles from my home! SCARY!

On the deaths, the Florida report for June 1st detailed the daily deaths through May 31st totaling 983 for May. As of yesterday the May total now sits at 1,165 an increase of 182 including another 14 added just yesterday!

This discussion has been closed.