Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly. I don't have a rigorous methodology like you do, so I just use two weeks to be conservative.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here is the full report. I recall there being some issue with finding the ICU number, but I don't recall what it was. I'd give credit, but the real name is not provided.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida Update today.

Cases - 10,360 with the 7 day average 9.208

Hospital - 421 the third straight day over 400. 7 day average 327 which sets a new record for the 10th straight day. On 7th of June the low point of 107 was reached so this has tripled in the last 5 weeks.

Deaths - 95 bringing the total for the last 3 days to 308. May 6-12 was the last time we had this many in a 7 day period!

With the cases for July through today at 102k and the last 20 days (lag period) 157k the last few days of August and more so the month of August looks very bad.

• Options

No one can really tell as some are not going to the hospital until it's too late so they have 0-5 day lag. The higher the positive rate and hospitalization rate the shorter the lag. Texas and Arizona likely are shorter than average lag while NY now is likely much longer due to widespread testing. Florida results above suggest that they may be less than 20 days as the deaths for the last 3 days are higher than the cases of 20 days ago would suggest. The cases 6/19-21 total 11,365 so I was expecting the deaths for the last 3 days would be 217 but were 308. This means the CFR is higher than 2.5% or the lag is less than 20 days so you may be right. This could be due to Florida being more like AZ and TX earlier than I thought.

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you follow the Miami Dade New Normal dashboard? Yesterday it said we were over 97% icu bed capacity now. Our positive rates have consistently been 25% and higher. Pretty rough.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mostly fair points, but I still ask, “Where are the unverifiable deaths coming from in their study? If they weren’t symptomatic enough to be classified as a death from covid then it wasn’t covid - at least in my book. It’s like saying a person OD’d when there are no drugs in the body.

Also, correct that 50% is not double. Good catch. So the point I made above means 4500 deaths in Georgia(50% more than 2965), which is even further from the 1% CFR asserted by MIT than when I doubled the number to 6000. .

Here’s what I mean - let’s back out the cases since July 1. (111,211 - 24,910 = 86,301 cases with the same 2965 deaths. That’s actually 3.4% CFR in Georgia. Sound familiar? So if you use MIT’s 12x number or the CDC’s 10x number that yields an IFR between 0.28-0.34% and a true case number of 1,035,000 infections. 1% of that is 10,350. Where are the other 7000 dead people (1% IFR) in the MIT study? Ok Some of then aren’t dead yet but that still leaves a lot of missing dead people to reach 1% if you use their numbers. On this basis, I would say their “worldwide approach” is quite flawed when used as any kind of predictive model for the US.

0.26 was the middle guess by CDC, or what they termed “best”. I’m not willing to entertain MIT’s claim of 50% more deaths, at least not in the US. This stuff is tracked closely and hospitals were incentivized to code a death as covid I haven’t read the study, but they are clearly trying to count deaths without pointing to a real person. Those aren’t facts, so when you say not to discount an academic study as non-factual please take in to account where the study really isn’t factual because they are using a computer model to acquire an estimate. What they have put forward is not a set of facts. It’s a guess, plus look back and you’ll see I left room to allow that perhaps the Boston Globes’ coverage was erroneous, rather than the study.

I’m open to your math, but not understanding the 7.7% you’ve put forward.

These are facts from the Georgia Department of Public Health.

Known case fatality rate under the age of 70 in Georgia is 1%, as of today. But as you say, we need to back out a period of time I only have the last 10 days, so let’s reduce the total known cases in Georgia, under the age of 70, from 99,208 (today) to 75,807. That’s a revised CFR of 1.2% under 70.

(New cases in Georgia since July 1, as of last night, totaled 24,910. Of those, 23,401 were under the age of 70.)

So should we expect 302 of those people under the age of 70 to pass away?

I also think national percentages are not very useful. California is a long way from Nebraska, and frankly I’m not really concerned with what happens there because closing a business in Atlanta will not save someone’s life in Portland Ore. This is also true for someone who lives in Americus GA or Brunswick.GA vs Atlanta.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

"I also think national percentages are not very useful. California is a long way from Nebraska, and frankly I’m not really concerned with what happens there because closing a business in Atlanta will not save someone’s life in Portland Ore. This is also true for someone who lives in Americus GA or Brunswick.GA vs Atlanta."

oof

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, many areas of the county are seeing different numbers for deaths and infections. I think it's important to find out what is causing that.

• Options
    edited July 2020

If you don't reduce the number of infections in Atlanta and some residents go to St Simon for vacation that happen to be carriers then Brunswick becomes a hot spot. You cannot contain the virus to a geographic area or age range. That is why a regional strategy is important. Closing Jacksonville would increase the number of people going to Camden County Georgia for instance. After all I doubt Texas got the virus from China. It spread from Europe to NY to NE to Florida etc.

Edit Just watched FL Governor press conf. Keeps saying about the big rise being 21-40 age range which is true. However, in the last 7 days there has been 16,000 who are 55+ of which 8,000 are 65+. This is 9 times what it was in May.

• Options
    edited July 2020

What will it mean when each county has a share of infections equal to the percentage of the state population in each county? In other words, when the virus has spread evenly among the population?

Statistics can be great but are often weaponized to mislead or control thought in people.

Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, and Cobb have the highest rates per 100k people. What exactly does that mean? That those areas are the “Hotspots” in need of special attention?

Here are their infection rates per 100k

Fulton 321

Cobb 250

Gwinnett 178

Dekalb 177

So just looking at the rate per 100k, you would be led to believe those areas have a disproportionate number of cases.

Now let’s look as a percentage of statewide cases and compare the percentage of the population in each place

Fulton 8.99% of cases and 9.7% of the state population

Cobb 6% of cases and 7.1% of the population

Gwinnett 9.6% of cases and 8.8% of the population

Dekalb 7.1% of cases and 7.1% of the population

So while the media refers to these areas as “hotspots”, in reality they have the exact percentage of cases one would expect for a virus that has already been pretty well circulated.

Georgia has too many counties for me to calculate all of them, but a quick random selection demonstrated this trend held true for many counties across the state, with a few exceptions, such as Dougherty Co, which has 0.83% of the population but 1.97% of the state infections, and Hall Co, with 2% of the population and 3.3% of the cases.

One might correctly point out that Dougherty had an early surge and Hall is experiencing one now, but the numbwrs have always been supposedly high in Metro Atlanta.

My guess is that the numbers were higher initially in Atlanta, but have evened out as the virus did what viruses are going to do - spread.

Are these just irrelevant coincidences?

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

Still have issues downloading twits. @JeffSentell needs to follow up on this once he gets back from vay-cay....

• Options

Well. All I know is that our numbers in Miami are bad. But people do what they do.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

It ain’t good news. Positive tests, deaths, positive test percentage is all trending up.

• Options
  • Options

Deaths may be up a week over time, but at one point NYC alone had almost as many deaths a day as the entire country does right now. This thing is going to run out of nursing homes to ravage. More than 40% of all US deaths are nursing home related. Then what, given that this thing doesn’t kill young people?

We’ll see, but I think this will level out pretty quickly. It will be talked about far longer than it lasts in an effort to secure a mailbox ballot

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Well you remain confident. I hope you’re right. Thing is, nobody really knows much. But the early trends from this bump up don’t look promising.

again, would love to be wrong here and this is just college kids getting sick and recovering. Time will tell and in the meantime do the right thing.

• Options
    DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone heard from @BayAreaDawg ? We're praying for you. Hope you are getting better!

• Options

No it's not coincidental. You cannot contain this geographically while allowing freedom of movement both intrastate and interstate. The wider the consistent application of restrictions the better the outcome.

This discussion has been closed.