Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Biggest in the state is UMMC University Ms. Med. Center. You cannot go by ER wait times, as most major hospitals down here discourage it and have opened numerous outpatient walk in clinics some that are open until midnight. Garden Park right down the road is a privately owned hospital and has a small ER. Memorial Hospital which is publicly owned is very large and has many outpatient clinics in our 6 county area PLUS 15 or so walk in clinics no appointment needed. No need to go to the ER plus at Memorial if you walk into the ER for non emergent care it will cost you 2 Ben Franklins up front. Discouraging ER use for non emergent care at its finest.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

The beer/liquor drinking and name calling hasn't started yet.....😜 Hopefully it won't.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Down here ICU beds as of now is not an issue. Memorial, Merit Health, Singing River and Oschner run all in the 3 coast counties. I would imagine that the big hospitals in the northern half of the state are sending patients to the Memphis or Birmingham areas

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BayAreaDawg would love to have an update whenever you can give one.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Late July and early August could be bad.

• Options

I hope new treatments combined with more experience treating COVID-19 cases will save some people and keep the numbers lower than expected.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I just got my Covid19 test results back and they are negative. I was pretty sure of the results as I don't feel any symptoms, but got the test in order to facilitate my entry into Sweden on Wednesday. Wish I could have gotten tested in early March when I am pretty sure I had Covid19 but I repeatedly tried to get a test and I was denied due to a lack of available tests.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ghosstttofffuuugaa2,

Youuu areee the whitttesst ghsot I e'er didddd seeeeee. I bit yu can't tellll if u rrr flashing someone or just staring at 'em reel gooood.

:)

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The article implies people are camped out in ERs. Just saying that's not the case in all ERs looking at the ER times. I assume if people are camped out in ERs waiting they wouldn't show 9 min wait times encouraging people to come in with minor issues. Someone linked a National news story about 3 hospitals in Clay County FL having no rooms left in ICU. My wife works at one of them and our good friend at another and neither are full and have only 4 cases between them and none in ICU. The 3rd isn't really a hospital and ships cases that need ICU care so not sure what they mean by 3. Sometimes the news overstates is my point.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

My initial thought regarding the article @YaleDawg linked is that the writer is guilty of really bad reporting; however, he quotes an MIT researcher directly saying the true fatality rate in the US is 1%.

So this leads to a few relevant questions:

Both the CDC, and now MIT, are saying cases exceed more than 10x the number of known infections. MIT is looking Worldwide, but the CDC’s stat is domestic. Georgia has 111,211 known cases as of yesterday. 2965 deaths. What is the true number of infections? 10x that? Interestingly, the CDC guesstimated a 0.26% CFR weeks ago. Multiply the known cases in Georgia by 10, and then calculate based on attributed deaths. Yep 0.26%

That would also mean more than 10% of Georgia has already been infected, with the infection rate in Metro Atlanta likely staggeringly high.

MIT says double the number of deaths, so really 6000 people have died of covid in Georgia? Over what time period? It seems implausible for that many deaths to be unnoticed during this time period. These are just “phantom deaths” of asymptomatic people who slipped under the radar?

6000 deaths would still not equal 1% fatality if the 10-12x multiplier is used, so clearly the MIT studies numbers were not intended to be used in the manner reported in the article - or else their numbers are wrong.

Another example is Peru. Pop. 34,000,000 The 16.6 estimated infection rate would mean 5.6 million cases and a 1% fatality 56,000 deaths Peru has reported 11,000 deaths. Peru is a pretty developed country. There is no way they have missed 40k deaths actually caused by this disease.

The MIT researchers then chose to intentionally wade in to political waters when they first state a huge number of phantom or unknown/unverifiable deaths, and then flatly state government officials could have prevented the majority of these unverifiable deaths by imposing strict preventative measures sooner.

Somewhat amusing to include numbers out of Iran as a source of reliable data. They were lying thru their shawls in March and April.

For a facts-only discussion, including this MIT study, (or at least the Boston Globe’s review) seems to fall a bit short of the mark. You just can’t reach a 1% CFR in the US without including a crap-ton of unverifiable assumed deaths of people who would have been seemingly asymptomatic at the time of death.

• Options

So the mistake a lot of people make trying to estimate the fatality rate is including the most recent cases for a disease that takes about 2 weeks to kill on average. Given this lag it's appropriate to remove the last two weeks of confirmed cases to calculate the CFR. Doing this for the US gives a CFR of 7.7% which factoring in for serology results gives us .77% infection fatality rate. Now the MIT study said that deaths were 50% higher (not doubled). Factoring that in to the above calculation gives you around 1% for the IFR. The problem is I can't see the methodology they used for determining true number of deaths since the paper hasn't been published, so I can't make any claim on how accurate it is. It's also not really great to apply global percentages to individual countries but it just happened to work in this case. As far as the CDC IFR goes .26% was the low end estimate and I think .54% was the high end. Many experts think its higher.

Implying they made numbers up for political purposes is a serious accusation that can't be backed up until their methodology is examined. I also don't think they made a political statement when criticizing 84 countries with governments all across the political spectrum.

Please refrain from saying academic research doesn't contribute to a fact driven discussion because you disagree with the outcomes. It's fine to disagree with results if there are methodology issues or with their interpretations of results since that is by nature subjective.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2020

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but ran across this story and it reminded me, very much, of some of the discussion here. Take a look.

• Options

Definitely an upward trend in new hospitalizations, but the percent capacity is kinda crazy. Do they also have ICU numbers or is that included in CCU?

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I have stated a number of times I use 20 day lag of cases to deaths when predicting deaths. The consensus seems to be 4-6 weeks from infections to be reflected in deaths. Obviously it takes time to add this infection as a "Case". This varies by location. Dallas for instance it takes 4-14 days for symptoms to develop then 3-4 days to get a test then up to 10 days to get the results so in most cases it averages about 3 weeks from infection to case. In the more severe cases they are probably being hospitalized and tested before the original test results are confirmed. I would say that these cases would be identified in 2-3 weeks. Post hospitalization if the case ends in death this is averaging 2-4 weeks so deaths lag cases by that amount.

If testing is more readily available then the lag would be more like 6 weeks. Here cases are identified more timely and case to death is more like 6 weeks.

Therefore the states with with low positive rates should expect a lag of about 40 days while those with high positive rates are more likely 15 days, hence my 20 days. Again as testing is ramped up this will move to more like 30 days average.

Nick Cordero tested positive in April but died in July. This is why just dividing deaths by cases to date is almost meaningless especially when infections are rapidly growing.

This discussion has been closed.