Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll play. Define “at risk.”

I’m going with a lot lower percentage than 50%.

85% of deaths are people over age 65, who represent 13% of the nations population.

If you haven’t already, perhaps read the stuff CDC cited in their mask wearing guidance. A lot of the evidence truly is anecdotal.

California has now been under a statewide mask mandate since June 18. On that date, California had 167,000 cases. Today they have over 500,000.

Gosh, if only Brian Kemp would issue a mask mandate 🤷‍♂️

National polls are showing 70% of Americans say they wear masks. A top health official in Cali just said that if 80% would wear them, that transmission could be cut by 50-60%. A 10% increase in compliance would cut cases in half? I’ll need someone else to do the math on that one. Seems a bit overstated.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Risk categories include people with hypertension. How many people in this country have it? Diabetes? Lung disease? Circulation disorders? These are just a few that increase risk. The risk goes beyond age categories. That is a much larger number than 13%.

Before anyone tries to argue age is the primary risk and risk is minimal to everyone else—please provide statistics on how many people with co-morbidities have voluntarily stayed on lockdown vs how many of them acted like normal? What differences in behavior may have affected death rate for other risk categories?

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just talking to a good friend of mine who is of the opinion that if we don’t let this virus run it’s course, it will never be over. A certain percentage of the population is going to die—just like they do from the flu, or other illnesses.

I finally said to him, “When you talk this way, as if this is just about statistics, I pray the statistic won’t one day be your wife or daughter.” He replied, “ if they are going to die it’s best they do it—to decrease the surface population.” At least, that’s what I hear when people make that argument.

• Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

****. It's just common sense. Respect others, wear the mask. If you don't, you are the problem. Get within 6 feet of me not wearing a mask and see what happens.Facts.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son was positive and was tested at a Dr.'s office in Orange Park Florida. He was told to come back for a re-test but when he went back he was told and given a letter that said if you have been symptoms free for so many days there was no reason for a re-test. So not sure there are many resources being used for re-tests

• Options

Manufactured death rates and also possibly manufactured positive case numbers as well.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well from the FLDOH on August 1st (published yesterday) 87,975 tests were reported (the site provided to me by @Bankwalker). They also give the number of Floridians tested for the first time as 41, 554. The difference is 46,421 which represents 52.8% of the total tests reported. Of that total 41,698 retested negative. This is also why I think some of the percentages they quote are of limited value. Those tested multiple times due to work requirements, even though warranted, are anything but a random sample especially if they have previously tested positive but have to be routinely checked to maintain employment.

I know many people that are not allowed to return to work after a positive test until they have at least 1 and in some cases 2 consecutive negatives.

• Options
    edited August 2020

I know you are just talking, since you’ve already had the disease and there is really no evidence people are susceptible to a 2nd infection; however, some people read this type of comment and then feel emboldened and justified to carry out some act of violence.

One reason I wear a mask is for no other reason than I don’t have to worry about someone threatening me or starting some kind of altercation. I’m not kidding in the least. I kind of hate that I allowed these idgits to even partially drive my decision making, but it happened back in April after I read about some not so smart people on NextDoor confronting people verbally for not wearing a mask. Ive not yet heard of anyone physically assaulting anyone, but it could easily lead to that type of situation.

Please don’t try to make yourself the “mask police” because you just don’t know what you might be instigating. I don’t have evidence to support this statement, but I would be willing to bet that an anti-masker is statistically more likely to be in the category of someone you shouldn’t be putting your hands on. The 2nd Amendment is REAL.

• Options

Those choosing not to go out likely includes elderly, those without insurance, those with preexisting conditions (by their own definition) plus those that live with vulnerable people. I can say that since Nassau county instituted a mandatory mask policy I have gone out more than previously. Unfortunately that policy is set to expire this week unless extended. If it expires I will return to being extremely cautious.

• Options
    edited August 2020

@JayDog Don’t you think that’s what people with co-morbidities should be doing? Voluntarily staying home? Or not staying home if that’s how they feel. Take a deeper dive in to the real statistics on vulnerability. If it were 50% of the population then the death rate wouldn’t be 0.2% or whatever it is. Heck, call it 1% if you prefer.

Rough math yields there have been @25,000 deaths under age 65 nationwide. I assure you the vast majority were already unhealthy. It is a fact that more people will commit suicide in that age group during 2020 than will likely die of covid. A city of Atlanta resident under age 65 was previously only 2-3x as likely to die of covid as to be murdered (before all of the recent violence).

1.5 million Americans a year die from the 5 co-morbidities that most commonly make this disease dangerous. That’s every dang year. When was the last time we borrowed $2 trillion to stop those deaths? Most people who die of covid have more than 2 of those conditions.

I don’t know any elderly people who think we should continue forcing the World to close on their behalf. My neighbor has MS and diabetes. 51 years old. He strongly disagrees we should be ruining millions of people’s financial lives to protect him. He is careful to protect himself and long ago accepted tomorrow was never guaranteed.

The people who believe hundreds of millions of people (not an exaggeration) should alter their lives and have their livelihoods destroyed because they need protection from this virus are the selfish ones. It is almost an indescribable level of selfishness, because most individuals can isolate themselves pretty effectively. Not everyone but there is a cost-benefit analysis that needs to be done across society.

Why? Because it IS just about the statistics.

They used statistics to close us up the first time, incorrect statistics. The models were wrong. If they had said 250,000 will die from the beginning everyone would have said, “Man, that’s terrible. Let’s try to keep our parent’s and those vulnerable protected.” I stead they said NOBODY had any immunity and 2 million people would die and tens of millions would be hospitalized. You seem to still believe that is a possibility.

• Options

I think you should be extremely cautious and not rely on the fallacy of these masks.

For instance, Israel has had a mask mandate in place since April 12th. Sometime after they started issuing fines. On June 29th the fines were increased. On that date, Israel’s 7 day average was about 400 new cases. It was over 1000 a week ago. Look at California. Cases have tripled since the Governor ordered masks on June 18th. It is pretty clear they really do not work.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

A specific American problem. From the CDC Director.

Many will still refuse to believe what he says. Or create their own numbers.

”I think you’re correct, in that we’ve seen this in other disease processes too, really in the HIV epidemic, somebody may have a heart attack, but also have HIV — the hospital would prefer the [classification] for HIV because there’s greater reimbursement,” Redfield replied.

Full Story: https://archive.is/6Kbew

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y'all are grasping at any straw to keep believing this virus isn't a problem. Redfield said he doesn't think faking COVID-19 cases is a problem because the doctor taking care of the patient at the hospital makes the determination of death, not the admins, which is then reviewed by the CDC, but it's impossible to be 100% sure so he chooses his words carefully as to not make definitive claims. What a nothing burger.

• Options

Should I assume that you also agree to his statement that there should be a National mask mandate and that nationwide Bars, indoor dining and other indoor activities where masks were impractical should be closed?

• Options
  • Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For independent schools in SC, fall sports practices begin today! Albeit with a bunch of modifications for football. Volleyball is pretty close to normal, with sensible changes (water bottles, locker rooms, etc).

Everyone is really excited.

• Options

I hope it works out. I would like kids to have some sense of normalcy again.

• Options

My brother tested positive as well about a week after my son. Only symptom he got was lack of taste and smell. His wife was having minor surgery but tested positive during pre-op. He was a little panicky because he is a cancer survivor and has ulcerative colitis. His Company required a negative test to return but the Doctor told him the new directive was to not test so his company said if the Doctor gave him a note he could return.

• Options

Yet your guy the great Fauci won't condemn protests where there isn't social distancing, because you can choose not to go to a protest but I assume you can choose not to go to a bar.

This discussion has been closed.