Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ahh. I was just asking. Cause you know what has been promised for the next person who complains about DVs...for the 2nd time. 😂

I’ve heard worse conspiracy theories than the one involving the accidental release of the virus from the Wuhan lab, which was not coincidentally (or was it) supported by Ivy League academic partnerships. China certainly understood in a hurry that they needed to completely remove all human rights from their citizens in order to contain the virus, right? How did they know so much?

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tell you what.... the masks are killing me and my wife. We are both getting splitting headaches now every time we put a mask on for more than 5 minutes. And we have a crazy toddler to chase around, so it’s a terrible combo. My wife especially is suffering bad migraines. Any suggestions out there? We have tried a couple different materials but not helping. I’m thinking we might need a face shield instead of a mask...but not sure if that “counts”?

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod
    edited August 2020

I have 1 with a valve and filter and it stopped my headaches. I wear a disposable medical grade procedure mask at work light weight and have no headaches

• Options
    Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

I use one with filters and valves as well when training. I hated it at first, but now it is almost like wearing glasses. Sometimes I forget it is on, until I need water.

I couldn't imagine taking care of a toddler or young children during all of this. They are naturally social. Good luck.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I’ve considered the valve masks but was curious about the shield first. If anyone has used instead of a mask and gotten any flack for it? I saw a guy on my Delta flight this week with one on and they let him board, no mask underneath, so I’m assuming it’s ok.

• Options

Same problem here with headaches. Ive started wearing a fishing neck gaiter if I have to use one for an extended period of time. Perception is all that matters. The standards are for a “cloth mask covering the nose and mouth” but nothing regarding thickness. Basically, I doubt the thing does diddly but the people who want to shame people don’t know the difference.

I know that restaurant workers aren’t allowed to wear plastic shields alone.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The blue pie chart (right) is exploded from the blue dot on the circle graph (left).

Off topic warning: About 334,800 babies were born in the U.S. in July.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last I checked, the face shield is allowed under CDC guidelines.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Fauci definitely doesn’t have a plastic face shield study he can reference

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I was being serious. It may have been on my state guidelines. Just trying to help a neighbor.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, at least one clinical site for the Allied Health programs in my area of Georgia does not turn you around if you are COVID positive if you're asymptomatic. Wonder how people here feel about that...

• Options
    edited August 2020

So was I. Below is the CDC comment on Face Shields. They don't know, so therefore don't recommend their use. As you can see, Faucci really doesn't have a plastic face shield study he can reference, but DV away if it pleases the soul.

"It is not known if face shields provide any benefit as source control to protect others from the spray of respiratory particles. CDC does not recommend use of face shields for normal everyday activities or as a substitute for masks."

You folks should also read the evidence the CDC has presented for universal mask wearing. The references are all the way at the bottom of the page. They really don't have much of an idea how much they help. Pretty much all of the studies look at filtration of <300 microns, while the Sars-Cov-2 virus is typically 100 microns or less. The very studies they cite are also pretty clear that a single layer cotton mask does near bunk. The thicker the mask, the more effective; however, they also state there is a risk of heat-related health complications from wearing a mask in "some settings."

There is even evidence that mask wearing could be worse in some settings because of the fact wearing a mask leads to heavier breathing, which means greater and more forceful expulsion of viral particles in infected individuals.

@Bum One of the studies looked at silk and chiffron materials. Both are much better than cotton, and you can find neck gaiters made out of chiffron pretty easily.

• Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For me, it comes down to this. Be respectful of other humans, I've had it, and survived. I'm back running with my dogs, working and providing for my family. Don't think you are above it. I didn't have as much as a cold in over 10 years. Covid put me on my knees for 3 weeks pissing in a bottle rather than going 10 feet to my bathroom, raising my arms above my head to catch breathe at times. This was before Covid became a real thing. I posted about it being real back in late April and got a lot of DV's.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 7 Day average of the number of Floridians tested for the first time continued it steady decline over the second half of July as can be seen below

The decline from 65k per day to 49k per day has mainly occurred since the 23rd so when you hear that cases are declining be wary. The positivity rate among new people tested has actually increased in the latter part of July.

Over the same time period the number of people retested has increased from 41k to 49k and now accounts for almost half of the tests.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Why doesn’t the number of people being tested correlate to the number of people showing symptoms? Unless they start going door to door, or setting up at the grocery stores, then the number of new people tested will only be the number of people who recognize symptoms enough to actually sign up for a test, right?

So the decline in testing obviously means fewer people are feeling sick. Or would you disagree?

The CDC wants to see a 10% or lower pos% rate, but that just feels like yet another mistake in their model. It’s now August. What else is going around to make people feel ill? There’s another stomach virus being passed, and people are also experiencing sinusitis. Plus hypochondria. Don’t forget about that illness.

• Options

Or the delays in testing and/or laboratory testing is getting worse and/or resources are being redirected to retests. The next few days will give a small clue as testing places in South Florida are closed; will there be a significant decline in tests reported?

• Options
    edited August 2020

The early indication from the model for August is

Florida deaths - 7.500

US deaths - 45,000

Day 200k US fatalities reached - September 1st (reported 9/2)

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is this an official Vegas line?...

It makes me uncomfortable to call it an over/under when you speak of people losing their lives.

I get it - you do numbers, and their awesome and I appreciate it. We all do. Can we do a different term, maybe? It might be just me, so I apologize for being oversensitive if so.

This discussion has been closed.