Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Finally.......things may be turning in the right direction

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Someone else DV'd your comment for some reason, not me.

I agree, the info would be useful. I just don't think those conferences will announce anything. They won't want people pointing out their players would have been safer on campus. My point was, unless the schools announce X number of athletes have tested positive, then journalists would have no way of being able to track this because of patient privacy laws. It's not like the Athens police blotter the Dawgnation writers check for a story.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Flash of disappointing news, UNC tried to open but quickly had to revert to online only. Per WSJ Schools are having to do this.

Mixed reports as my son headed back to his school. Kids wearing masks and all But off campus parties with no precautions.

Perhaps we can play football even with online Only classes?

Piggy backed here instead of starting a Wrong Direction Thread.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What? College kids going to parties? What do people think they do when they are home?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we can just delay the inevitable a little bit longer until flu season.

Spineless. These new cases shouldn’t be a surprise. UNC also announced they expected most of their students to make alternate housing plans, so now that they have brought them all back together, they are now going to send them back home again. Just like they did when the thing started.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are a lot of people that aren't going to like this but everybody and their brother should have expected a spike of cases in college towns. Kids are going to be kids and be the social creatures they are. In my opinion it would have made more sense to bring them all back to campus 3 weeks ago and got this out of the way before classes began.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If colleges are going to close becasue of cases they are not going to be able to have anything on campus..In Georgia by far the leading age group for positive cases are 18-29 year olds with as of yesterday 56,687 positive cases reported, however for that age group with that high number there have only been 39 deaths to date. I'm not sure what is acceptable risk ..while sending kids in this age group home will reduce their ability to get a good education and reduce liability for the schools..it will do nothing to slow the virus . Young people are going to be young people unless you lock them up and with the fatality rate of this virus I can't see anyone wanting to do that.

Right after all those students signed year-long apartment leases....

School leadership simply must have taken into account that cases will likely rise. In that age group serious illness is very rare, so it's an acceptable risk. To call kids back to school and then cancel it would be borderline criminal...thanks for your money, now go home and do all this online. That will not end well for the schools.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm worried it's going to happen in football too. They're going to test them like crazy, and find a bunch of asymptomatic positive cases and flip out.

Yep. "We know you don't feel sick...but trust us, you are positive. Therefore, to prevent you from killing people unintentionally, even though the mortality rate is absurdly low, we are going put you in quarantine for two weeks. And would you mind filling out this form telling us everyone you have been around for the last week so we can quarantine them as well just in case?"

Yep, this is going to be a total poop-show.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

More partying at a a Party School than at home. More relevant if on campus than spread across wherever they live. Closer to the sports program.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think teams will flip over a positive test whether it's a real positive or false positive.

They expect them and are prepared for them.

Teams have already had numerous positives and most probably have a few players in quarantine right now.

SEC, Big 12 and ACC didn't move forward thinking they wouldn't have positive tests. They obviously know they'll have positive tests.

They moved forward believing they can work through it while also providing great medical care for those players that do test positive.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok.. positives or false positives.....teams are prepared to deal with them.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes @Kasey the admin will have a problem. False positives mean players are quarantined that shouldn't be and false negatives mean the virus goes unchecked within the program. Either way, the admin will have to face the criticism of spreading the virus or they will have to deal with unfairly stopping participation. Either way, the public look and potential liability means strong motivation to pull the plug on the season. That is just stating reality.

@texdawg I'm sorry about what this virus and the response is doing to people you love. The hard part is without a community to support schools and their football program, they would not exist. I'm just saying that we are in this together no matter what side of the debate we may fall. I pray for the lives of so many people...that we could find a way to let the football season happen. And I pray for the lives of others who might be affected by the spread of a virus. They too have every reason to want to protect loved ones from it. The individual decisions of people living in a community do not happen in a vacuum.

This discussion has been closed.