Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jamar Chase

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whew...

I am torn, but in 2020 nothing seems like something I can hammer a kid over.

In a normal year, I think this would drive me nuts as a coach.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s not a Competitive & driven elite athlete. He just wants the money.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod
    edited August 2020

And I’d draft the best overall WR in the class if I have the opportunity.

edit: to your credit, I sort of agree with you...but when we are talking best at our position I’ll take a chance my culture can straighten him out

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Yep I would want the player that gives me the best chance to win

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe I’m old school but when your part of a team you play. Period. This me culture is killing the sport you And me love. I could go on and on but I’m not. You understand where I’m at and I will take all the DV I get. But then again I’m old school when things were better lol.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The circumstances surrounding this season cannot be overstated. As a general rule, I don't like players sitting out (bowl games, etc). This year is such an outlier, though. To those who dislike his decision, ask yourself this question: how would I feel about him sitting out the 2020 season if it was a normal year, no covid? Then compare that to how you feel about his announcement this weekend. Are the answers the same?

• Options
    Dusty34Dusty34 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2020

It may be time to do away with the 3 years rule for the draft. Go to 1 and done like in BBall (and get rid of 1 and done for bball and let these kids go to nba if they wish).

No use in "forcing" these kids to stay 3 years if they are good enough to go to the league earlier. I would imagine it is a small percentage of players who can. Im sure it would help down the road keeping kids in college longer too, after seeing the kids that go early when they are not ready and bust.

This would probably prevent any kids from skipping out.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine are.

I don't like the kids skipping out on their teams but it isn't something I can change, so I don't dwell on it. Covid has nothing to do with how I feel about his choice. Either he is concerned about the virus or he isn't. I'm sure there are dozens of variables he is weighing to make his decision. I don't need to know those, because I can't determine their validity as they relate to him.

This season will be great with or without the players and conferences that opt out. Different? Sure. Better or worse? Nobody will ever know. However, sports always deliver on drama and excitement. We are invested in UGA football, but there are people just as invested in lower tiered teams, high-school teams, rec league teams, etc. The entertainment factor is there at each level. It will be there for us with or without any single player. With or without the big 10 or the pac 12. With or without fans in the stands and whatever other covid measures are taken. Sports always deliver if you let them.

• Options
    Stef_Lew_478Stef_Lew_478 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a good thought, but the draft rules really haven’t dissuaded basketball players from declaring for the draft too early and going undrafted.

• Options
    Dusty34Dusty34 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thats true. The one thing that helps out in basketball is all the pro leagues around the world the undrafted players can go to. They also have the G League. The football guys really have limited to no other options if they go updrafted and don't stick with a team.

Who knows, maybe it would help contribute to some kind of developmental league for the NFL.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I get it though. This is his big payday. This will secure his family for generations.

He won’t have the numbers that he had last year with Burrow and there will be nothing to ding him on this year. It’s a business decision and I wouldnt doubt he still loves the game but knows the risk from playing (not health but money) in such an oddball season.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

If he would let me manage his money it would secure his family for generations. If he decides to "invest" in $2M watches like OBJ, then all bets are off.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With you on the college basketball. I used to be almost as passionate about that as the football, but I barely follow any more.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did you see my movie reference 🌷 earlier. In the end, it’s about a lot more than money.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get the "injury" argument and all.

I mean, look at how much money a nasty broken hip cost Tua...

...oh, wait...

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Its always a slow news day when I mosey over to SDS to see whats up, but came across a relevant write up on Chase and the argument for his departure.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It could have cost him up to $6M dollars because you don't know what happens if he doesn't get injured. That isn't just chump change. Tua has had a much more consistent career than Burrow, he doesn't get hurt I could absolutely see a team pick him first.