Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Otis Reese statement.

Comments

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent post Kasey and we do appreciate you not doing an imitation of Thomas The Train by going off the rails. 😉

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good points and first-hand perspective. I would agree that the vast majority of students at UGA are respectful and that the football program is dare I say as racially aware and respectful as any program in the country at any level of football. I think any of us could say even at great institutions that they saw or heard of others seeing anecdotal instances of things happening that run counter to a great culture and Reese's letter unfortunately takes this approach. I do think it is important to both recognize the impact such instances can have on a person of color and also recognize how great the UGA football program is at creating a respectful culture and the univeristy is at addressing any instances of racism.

Now, if we could just figure out a way for the ACC to uphold the law and not be deutsche bags....

• Options

Yeah, someone doesn't like that idea, I got an Off Topic vote :).

By the way, I really liked @Casanova_Flatulence 's idea of compensation from one school to another for a transfer. Not sure how that would work or how it would be perceived, but if we simpleton Dawg fans can come up with ideas that create a fair and workable plan for transfers, I think the real take away is that a fair transfer plan is possible as long as anyone besides the NCAA is designing it.

• Options

Thank you.

I think the perception would be easier to swallow if people looked at it like a basic trade or barter situation. When one entity trades something (in this case a player) both parties should receive benefit. Now having said that and knowing full well America is the most litigious society in the history of mankind, ACLU lawyers will scream these players are no longer student athletes and fall under collective bargaining agreements, free agency rules and be entitled to financial compensation ABOVE AND BEYOND what they're currently receive via their scholarship benefits. Thus, it pays to think it all the way through.

• Options
    kwgalpinkwgalpin Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2020

to your last point, not just this country, but to the majority of the world, that holds true.

• Options

Casanova,

You and I are about as far apart on the political spectrum as two people can get. And if we are both seeing logic in this idea, it is possible.

And if I can address your language about the ACLU, I don't think they are your obstacle and I don't think you get a broad spectrum of support by bemoaning them. Instead, I think the challenge is status quo thinking across the spectrum. If I can, let me share what I think is a good example.

I used to work for a Republican Congressman Sherwood Boehlert and back in those days, you had a lot more diversity in opinion/policy on both sides of the aisle. Sherry (how he was called) and we on staff were some of the major writers of the 1990 Clean Air Act. It took a market approach to environmental policy and it was quite ingenious. In fact, it turned out to be the only environmental legislation in US history that both cost less than the CBO projected and also delivered more results than the CBO projected.

But, that didn't mean at the time that the concept of tradeable permits for pollutants was embraced by everyone as a great new idea - quite the opposite. Dan Becker of the Clean Air Coalition told me directly, "All it is is a permit to pollute and we don't want to support anything that is permitting pollution." And, America's Power representing the coal industry lobbyist told me, "unofficially, this is a really smart idea that the coal industry would favor over any other proposed regulation, but we simply are going to oppose any regulation of pollutants all the time. I just didn't want you guys to feel bad after all the work you put into this new idea."

So, in the end, Sherry and Henry Waxman and others got NO support at all from anyone who the legislation affected. But they perservered, got it passed and signed by GHWB and it became the best piece of environmental legislation ever passed both for industry and environmentalists. The takeaway as I am sure to get a bunch of Off Topic votes is that great ideas such as yours Casanova about compensation generally are opposed not by the left or the right, but by all those who can't pull their heads out of the status quo and embrace new ways of thinking and that is a problem everywhere on the political spectrum and not just one side or the other. I think there is merit to the idea of transfer players not being allowed to play against the institution they transferred from and compensation from one university to another - I think you could use these ideas and others to make a fair transfer policy for players and universities. I just hope that forward thinking minds can overcome status quo opposition to do something innovative such as what you suggest.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Well said!

FWIW, I'm all about clean air, clean water and clean oceans. The trick is two fold: 1. Get all the other industrialized nations to follow the same rules. 2. Achieve pollution reduction without destroying our economy.

To your point, it will take non-status quo thinking and dogma to accomplish that objective.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think it is a horrible idea, but I do think you are going a bit too far with it, which is I guess how bargaining works. I would assume that it could get to a point for a flat fee from one university from another because how would you have an itemized cost of all those expenses you listed. Not to mention say we end up signing Brock Vandagriff and he winds up not playing and transfers to another university. How much value did UGA get from Brock's recruiting efforts? How much value did UGA gain every time Brock wore a UGA hat? backpack? arm band?

You sell a car to someone, they aren't going to reimburse your expenses for the gasoline or maintenance of it.

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t even get me started on the municipal court systems in Georgia. I’ve heard of some in little towns where they have a cash register right in the courtroom. Coming from the court system in Florida it just blows my mind with the needless redundancy. If you suggest getting rid of it and consolidating they’ll howl, cause it’s a huge revenue stream for the municipalities.

Go ahead and off topic this one lol.

• Options

I get it, you're diving into the details, however the idea is in a concept stage.

Of course a flat fee would be sent to the school receiving the player. There are a lot of bean counters in Big 5 athletic departments. I would imagine through expense itemizations each school within a conference could arrive at an average investment cost (AIC). The conference would review the flat cost fee based on institutional variables, such as tuition costs (Vanderbilt is higher than Ole Miss) and vote to standardize that cost across all transfers within the conference.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent points. Scholarships are annual obligations. Some don't get renewed. I don't like the payback/trade idea, but I love the idea of making those players sit out any game that is against their former team, even if it's the SECCG, playoff or NC game. I don't have a problem with players wanting to leave for whatever reason (as long as they aren't making up stuff or exaggerating events to gain sympathy). But I also don't want college football ruined by free-agency. There would be the same 5 contenders every year as the big programs swallow up all the talent...which is why the NFL instituted the salary cap to balance out free agency. There should be some level of consequence for transfers.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I just used the "free agency" term to identify that these are one year scholarships. If a coach is that worried about a player transferring when he signs a player, there are 4 year guaranteed scholarships available to offer players. Those could potentially have a different set of rules, such as sitting out one year no matter where you go, but also makes the school honor the 4 year scholly even if they player doesn't pan out.

Edit: basically my only issue with transfers is when it's within your own conference. Other than that, I'm fine with one free transfer for any player.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can’t search a vehicle without consent and/or a warrant.

”Come on man!” 😂

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well no that’s not quite right. There’s the automobile exception to warrants. But you do need probable cause.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

You did say - MIP and arguing with the cops 😐🤔🧐🤨 I mean, what did your friend expect??? Play **** games, win **** prizes is the way I see it...

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... you're the one that can and has deleted posts/ burries threads/ etc. You can change the narrative by changing the actual text people see. All we can do is voice our opposition/support. Not that I didn't mind your funny gif. You have to understand that with great power comes great responsibility 😂

• Options
    edited September 2020

You're obsessed with the word "trade", I also said free agency. You're also conflating an analogy to overcome potential perception issues with the original concept. Focus.