Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Otis Reese statement.

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apparently it's an activity based on how it was used in this thread

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The cost to UGA is negligible. I mean, they lose a player on the team that they groomed and trained and were counting on. But other than that, no not much.

The bigger question is what does Reese lose by leaving UGA? And that answer is complex and deep.

I think it's bad to teach these young men it's ok to break your obligations. I think it's bad to send the message to run when things get tough. I think it's bad to let other's down when they were counting on you.

Then there is the question of the health of the sport. They keep trampling on the idea of team, loyalty, and unity and I can promise you they will all lose support. Those fancy dorms, training grounds, dinning areas, tutors that walk them through every single class.... yeh, all that stuff can disappear quickly. I guess it's just how I am, but I've always tried to look at the big picture. What will this do far down the road. I don't think this kind of behavior and attitude will better things for anyone. And I'm just speaking on the transfer and football part. That's not even addressing the accusations Reese is wielding.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice Dave Chapelle joke.

But tickets are verified and fellow witness and Dawg Kearis back him... Frat party happened... Justin Fields situation happened. Only thing that cant be proven is the interaction with Kirby but seeing how Kirby has allowed all transfers without a fight (maybe experience from the Smith situation) probably means its truthful.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Legal jargon 🙄

They create excessive syllable words to make things sound complicated and better than they are. Medicine is extremely guilty of this as well. They're so bad, they'll come back and give things a new name once it becomes to familiar. I've always thought it was some subconscious ego s.troke myself.

.... s.troke is censored 🤦‍♂️

• Options

Fair enough @pgjackson . And you're correct. That's kind of a different argument though of the 1 year scholy vs the 4 year scholy. I've never much liked the idea of the 1 year scholy myself.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does UGA give 4-year scholarships? I remember Richt keeping a couple of guys on scholarship even though they weren't even playing any more...but I'm not sure Smart would do that.

• Options

I honestly don't know. I remember a few years ago or so Auburn started championing 4 year scholys as an enticement in recruiting. I didn't even know it was a thing until that happened.

But still, I think if a kid is going to commit to a school the school should commit to the kid in return. Even if it's just symbolic.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All scholarships are one year deals. I know recently they were working on legislation in the NCAA to allow a change, but I have been too removed for too long to verify or speak more I to that.

With CMR, I think you are referring to guys who were medically disqualified. They can keep their scholly, but not count against the 85. That way the team is not put in a bad position when you do what's right for the kid.

• Options

I assume it's much easier to not renew a scholarship than it is to break a 4 year agreement. That is if the student athlete in question isn't living up to their end of the deal.

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son is white, just turned 18 and had been stopped by white and black cops a total of 11 times, some reasons were legit, some were ****, I’m not saying Otis has or hasn’t experienced racism.... but from my experience where I work at, the race card seems to be pulled a lot when things don’t go a persons way they want it to.

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

11 times and he's 18?! The only time I see Wayne County Sheriffs move fast is when they are racing each other to Hog-N-Bones for lunch.

• Options
    edited September 2020

I remember back in the CRM years that he was very loyal to his players, almost to a fault and detriment to the team. If you had a scholarship with CMR, it generally meant you had it as long as you were at UGA. Meanwhile, Saban has been famously ruthless with his players over the years. He has no problem cutting kids to make room for better players. I think it's a good lesson to learn...if you want to be part of an elite level organization, prepare for heads to roll. The competition is ruthless at the top. The best 85 will get scholarships, regardless of seniority.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oi vay... let's try this again.

The original idea... good, bad or indifferent, is as follows. Their are associated investment costs to recruiting (gas, food, hotels, airplane travel, marketing - see graphic design team etc. etc.) football players. We spent $3+M last year in recruiting. In addition there are scholarship costs, including books & tuition, tutors, housing, food, medical, travel and monthly stipend. I'm sure there are other expenses as well.

The idea is this... if the football player wants to transfer from school X to school Y - Y should pay the original investment costs to obtain and teach that student athlete. For our example, we'll say Georgia actively recruited Otis Reese for 2 years. The itemized recruiting costs would be added and then combined with the value of the scholarship used. Let's say Reese was an active student taking classes for 1.5 years. The total scholarship cost of those 1.5 years would be combined with the 2 year recruiting cost. School Y would reimburse school X for that combined amount. School Y gets what is perceived as a valuable player and school X gets compensated for the total investment in that student athlete.

This will never happen, so it's all moot.

• Options

I agree with all of that, except when you say there is "no cost to UGA". The program is investing time, energy, and money into the player. These are not infinite resources.

• Options

That is true, but the terms of the agreement are for one year. UGA has to factor in all those costs when recruiting players. That's why teams generally invest more money into recruiting better players, and the teams that invest more money into recruiting generally have more success on the field. It took UGA a few years to figure that out. The payback is that the player promises to attend UGA for a year and participate in the football program. Even if the kid never starts, he supported the team by providing better competition in practice to the actual starters (iron sharpens iron), and serves as a viable backup in games (depth).

In short, yes there is a cost...but it's paid back by the student once the scholarship year is over.

Newman is the guy I'm more upset about. How much time and effort did we put into that guy, only for him to say "eh, nevermind" at the last minute? We got nothing out of that deal.

• Options

Good point. I keep viewing this as a 4 year commitment. When in reality it's a 1 year commitment with the expectancy of renewal x4.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, there is costs for UGA, but players trade their student-athlete services for those costs. Some folks are ignoring this, as I’m sure Reese has a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into his training/team/studies. That’s what he traded UGA for his one-year scholarship.

And as I told Casanova earlier, the “trade” of goods and services (listed above) has already taken place before the player transfers, so no school is going to compensate the other school for a transfer.

If an employee leaves a company after a year or two, does the company charge the new employer a transfer fee, since they had to spend time/money on training them, HR expenses, Indeed/LinkedIn recruitment costs, etc.? Didn’t think so.