Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Atlanta Hawks Exceeding Expectations/ Mark Bradley Article/Bandwagon Time

Comments

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see the long trend of superstars winning NBA titles changing, this year is likely an anomaly. Hopefully The Hawks can take advantage and close out Milwaukee, beat the Western Conference reps and develop to become a sustainable force. I think Brooklyn would have been close to unbeatable if Harden had been 100%. The Clippers with Leonard would have been tough as well.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d still be shocked for them to win it all. But Conference finals 2-2 is pretty special and they haven’t gotten hear cheaply, they belong.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Trae comes back I would not b shocked AT ALL if Atlanta wins the Championship. This town is overdue for a Championship.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

This has been fun to watch. The 1991 Braves are the closest team I can recall to come out of nowhere, but we were able to follow them several months after the all star break and were not surprised.

Ogongkwu and Reddish have played stellar defense and can be the difference in this series and a finals. Ogongkwu has played Giannis as well as anyone with several highlights being shown by analysts (Blocks, tie ups, rebounds). Reddish guarding Middleton was the missing element from game 3.

edited June 2021

Chris Paul had 41 pts on 16 of 24 shooting with 4 boards, 8 assists, 0 turnovers and 2 fouls in closing out The Clippers tonight. If Trae can be that efficient The Hawks will win a title or 2.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes and a first ballot hall of famer. In fact he can never reach that level and be in the hall.

Giannis out tonight. Makes things very interesting for sure. It is typically much hard for the bench / secondary scoring to perform as well on the road, yet this team has been great on the road. It’s nice to be playing big time games right now.

The Hawks have to capitalize on Giannis being out tonight. Even if Trae is a go Lou Williams not only deserves a lot of minutes, it is smart to give him increased minutes given his superb game 4 effort. LW has always been a momentum player, lets find out if he can keep cruising.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,246 mod

After getting an unlucky break with Trae being out, the Hawks benefit again with some injury luck in Giannis being out...

Just saw that Trae is out tonight for game 5. Great opportunity for the other guys to keep building chemistry and momentum from game 4 so that the team is at its best after Trae returns

Go figure this series, so much for the defense being better without Trae. Down 9 at halftime, time to go.

Giannis is confirmed out for tonight's game 6 in Atlanta. If the team can't win an elimination game at home with maybe the best player in basketball sitting on the Bucks's bench, they are just not quite good enough yet. GO HAWKS !

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. Before the series began, I felt they weren't "there" yet. A loss would make me feel that a bit stronger. Still think they've done a great job....it may take a good off-season to get them there or , at least, closer.

edited July 2021

No doubt the season has been a pleasant surprise, regardless of whether The Hawks win or lose this series.

Still though, the seemingly forever trend of Atlanta sports teams ending their seasons on a losing note is not something to look forward to. What is something to look forward to regardless of what happens tonight is the potential of this nucleus going forward.

This discussion has been closed.