Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Now that NIL has consumed the collegiate level…

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems Kirby isn’t going to focus on recruits who are solely worried about NIL. Didn’t see any pitfalls he discussed, just the shift in focus for some recruits now that they can earn money. Basically, now coaching staffs have another aspect to consider before they sign a kid.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Kirby’s public approach, and I hope it pays big dividends for Georgia and college football. Team and loyalty over self adulation and immediate gratification, ftw!

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

way better approach than Jimbos. I wonder now if Jimbo will last as long as this recruiting class. Pressure squarely on him now and he’s already not handling it well. A couple more 8-4s and dude is jumping ship or getting canned.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He shouldn’t get so mad then. Maybe he’s just embarrassed that he routinely underperforms

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

That's great right now. What about 5 years from now? Kirby can say he's more interested in the team-first guys...but down the road there could very well be a highly competitive salary race for all the top recruits. If that happens, Kirby is going to have to get knee-deep in to. And like Kirby said, it's not about winning championships as much as it used to. It is going to become increasingly difficult to convince blue chips to come to UGA or Bama for little to no guaranteed NIL money but a great chance to win championships over other lower tier teams that are offering the big bucks. There are a certain portion of these guys who want the $$$ now and really don't care about the team. And honestly, who can blame them for taking the money?

The reality is for these blue chip players, it really doesn't matter where they go to school. Are the facilities and coaching that much better at UGA and Bama than at KY, or Clemson or Oregon, or Mich St or Baylor? All of them put players in the NFL. I'm pretty sure all these elite players Bama and UGA are putting into the NFL would have made it no matter where they played. Why not take the money and play at Baylor or Oregon? If it doesn't work out, just hit the portal and find another NIL deal.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got paid to go to grad school. Maybe you made some bad choices while I made better ones

I will just say that, for fans, and for many coaches too, it IS about winning championships. For many college fans, I think it is also about school pride and loyalty. Can these two driving forces (player compensation and school pride) live in relative harmony? I don’t know, but I hope so.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pressure on all of the Top 25 Head Coaches is incredible! Jimbo lost it last night and it was good to see!

He railed on Kiffin, he railed on "other SEC coaches" and then hearing him say "Some Sliced bread character posted we spent 30 Millon on recruiting and one of you so called journalists reported it" I was rolling. That is coming from a man who has a guaranteed contract for the next decade and he is feeling the heat. More now, he has the #1 recruiting class. The 12th man is fully expecting a NATTY this season!

Pressure!!

Lots of pressure!!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

That's a bit of a dilemma that Kirby pointed out. He can't just go out and show off his NC ring and talk about the facilities, and the amazing fanbase, championship heritage and overall support structure. School pride and loyalty are taking a back seat it seems. Money talks. Kirby might not want to get to that point...but if this situation is left on it's own he's going to have to get knee deep. Otherwise he'll end up with a 5-Star hearts with 3-star ability roster.

edited February 2022

I think it is, overall, a delicate balance… between the future popularity of college football and the immediate need to field the best team possible. Not just for Georgia, but for all of college football.

If what you (general you, not you, @pgjackson) like is professional football, we already have the NFL.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS is doing just fine with all of that, especially the money part for the team, the facilities and the players.

Like I said before, so far, he has been flawless, at all levels!

Hopefully he keeps doing great and I believe he will.

One of the many reasons to "Pay him, pay that man his money"