Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football quarterback Stetson Bennett still not getting recognition from national media

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

"Chickening out" and taking a sure thing are 2 different things. Especially when there was that much money, ultimately, at stake. Can you blame him? Especially if he was getting a "vibe" from the staff that the QB selection was not based on merit. A similar complaint many voiced last season. Personally I believe CKS plays the guy that HE THINKS gives him the best chance to win. He also plays a lot of other guys, score permitting. That is why the play selection for Fields was so puzzling in '18. Freshman = limited package? IDK.

If you look at the numbers from Fromm and Fields in '19 it is pretty clear that Fields was a generational player that would have surpassed Fromm. OSU knew he was that good. He ended up 3rd in the Heisman and put up numbers never seen at UGA. The schedule UGA played in '19 contained no defenses any better than what OSU played. Fields was a top 10 NFL pick and an NFL starter and Fromm is on his 3rd pro team barely seeing the field. Fields is better. Now and since '19.

And UGA played AL closer than OSU did in the '20 championship the last 5 times they played them. W/o Fields or w/freshman Fields not playing a significant role. Safe to say UGA would have been significantly better in '19 and '20 w/Fields at QB. Beating AL usually means competing for a championship. Therefore Fields best chance to win a championship was to stay at UGA. I don't see a lot of speculating.

• Options

I think you would be very hard pressed to find any UGA fan that "rooted against" SBIV last season. Some fans just did not think he was the best QB on the team. That is a huge difference from "rooting against". Just not to those who's egos won't allow them to admit it.

In the end it didn't matter as the D carried the day and SBIV avoided the game killing plays he had in the 2 previous AL games. Safe to say either QB could've beaten AL in the CFBCG. Will be interesting to see how the 2 QB's do this season.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're really cherry picking to make a point, kirkhilles.

Nobody's arguing that Bennett should have won last year's Heisman -- just that he should be on anyone's list of the 25 best returning QBs. So comparing him to Bryce Young on a few select categories (mainly reflecting volume of passes and yards) is a strawman argument.

Never mind that Bennett actually ranked HIGHER than Young in yards per pass and passer rating, and was essentially the same in QBR -- at third in the nation. The slam dunk is that it's crazy to put Payton Thorne, D.J. Uiagalelei, Phil Jurkovec, Taulia Tagovailoa and several others on the 247 list while leaving off the CFP MVP who ranked third in QBR. I mean, c'mon.

I'm first to admit that there are some really fine QBs deep into that list. And no doubt Bennett benefited from a great line, great RBs, a superstar TE and a great OC (although, he also overcame decimation of the WR corps to help turn a couple of freshmen into stars). I'll even give you that Bennett's arm strength and height handicap him and that he occasionally hurt us with forced throws.

But, aside from his heart and his overall good judgment, he has shown himself to be a superb athlete. You'd have to be blind to not notice that he made some incredible passes last year (often when we most needed him), was very accurate in the possession game, and kept drives alive with some exceptional scrambling and gutsy runs.

His main "faults" (as always) seem to be that didn't have a bunch of stars next to his name coming out of high school and doesn't fit the pro prototype -- neither of which have anything to do with the here and now, i.e. whether he'll be one of "college football's 15 best quarterbacks entering the 2022 season."

On another note, I'd like to congratulate Connor for finding just the fodder after a holiday weekend to get the blood to boil in the Dawg Nation: Well done, sir! 😁

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe the sports writers have the same opinion of Stetson that I do. He has less potential than any QB on Georgia's roster. The defense won the Championship. Kudos to Monken for running plays that were designed for Stetson's abilities. If and when Georgia gets behind this year, Stetson may not have the skills to play catchup. If that happens it would have been good for our backups to have gotten some playing during the season.. That is the biggest mistake Kirby made in 2021.

Before some fans start ringing their hands and screaming about my comments, I admit that Stetson is good Dawg, but let's wait until 2022 is over before evaluating what I've said.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking of hype....

You can SEE what happens when a "hyped QB", plays for a team loaded with talent...J. Fields, versus a "hyped QB", playing for a depleted team...DJ Uiagalelei.

Last year, Uiagalelei was the best thing since sliced bread, going into the opening game against UGA. Hell, they had him doing a half time Dr Pepper commercial during the game. Since then, the roar died to whispers.

Unlike Young, DJ didn't have the luxury of throwing to 2 of the best receivers in the game...one of which, wasn't good enough to crack the starting line-up of the very talented OSU team Fields QB'd, the year before, yet garnered a #12 overall draft pick this year...with a torn ACL.

QB's are hyped by the media, because that's the only position on the field, they, and most "fans" understand or have interest in. I could probably count on one hand, the number of QB's that actually earned their hype on the field without a talented supporting cast. Michael Vick and Cam Newton immediately come to mind. I don't see a QB of that caliber going into 2022.

Young was a product of the talent around him. You can see with your own eyes, how effective he was without Williams and Metchie. Will he have similar talent at that position this year? Will his OL be able to protect him? He can't make a living running the ball and making plays anymore than Bennett can.

The difference between Young and Bennett, going into 2022, is that this year, the talent is going to be on Bennett's side.

To say UGA didn't win the CFCG because of Bennett is a convenient, disingenuous lie. If Bennett hadn't thrown for 2 TDs at the end of the game...UGA loses. Like Johnny Unitas, he did what he had to do to WIN. It's just that simple.

As I've said before...QBs get far too much credit for a team's success and far too much blame for it's failure...with few exceptions. UGAs offense is going to be off-the-charts efficient this year. Will Bennett get any of the credit? Not if the media and some stubborn fans can help it. LOL.

With respect to Bennett...they seem to go out of their way to point to every other metric and scheme as to why UGA's offensive success "just can't be Bennett". It's impossible that everybody was wrong about him in 2017, 18, 19, 20 and 21. Even Booger McFarland said, "UGA can't win a Championship with Bennett at QB". And Booger's never wrong. 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    edited May 2022

I guess the #'s put up by Fields and Young are just hype. Those excellent WR's must've throw the ball to themselves. And the UGA D and passrush had nothing to do with Young's "ineffectiveness". BTW Young had more yards and higher QBR in losing than SBIV did in winning. How disingenuous. LOL

Bennett threw a SCREEN PASS to a wide open Bowers (that miraculously came w/in an inch of being batted down at the line) who used his speed and great UGA blocking to score a TD. Bowers was as good a target for a QB as anyone on CFB last year. Prior to that Bennett threw up a 50/50 Hail Mary bomb that his 6'4" WR (20 yo Fr who played all year) caught after outfighting a true freshman CB pressed into action by injuries.

But yeah SBIV is "Unitas". But I guess everyone in the world is wrong except a few UGA fans that think UGA won a championship because of SBIV. LOL

• Options
    KeepChoppingKeepChopping Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Thank you. The homer-ism on this site is often enough to drive rational fans away.

• Options

I could fit everything you know about football, in a thimble. LOL

But, that's okay....you, do you. You throw statistics and numbers around, with no clear direction in your argument. You make an argument in one direction, then change directions completely as if we forgot everything you posted before that.

It's like one Dawg Nation member said....you're trying to be too clever for your own good and step all over your previous posts.

You make my point, regarding media and "fans" bending over backwards to credit everybody, but, Bennett. You were one of the naysayers last year that can't quite get the medicine down. You were WRONG about Bennet, Young, Fields and every other QB you thave tried to analyze since I've been paying attention.

You do give me a good laugh and I enjoy reading your posts.. Thank you. You would give Lewis Grizzard a run for his money. LOL

• Options

What exactly, vexes you most....that the people on a site called "Dawg Nation" are actually Dawg fans...or, is it that, maybe only 1 or 2 people share your opinion. I think, maybe it's the latter. It couldn't possibly be, that your opinion is flawed or flat out wrong. Must be, 'cause everybody else is "homers". Interesting concept. LOL

• Options
    edited May 2022

Chief you lost the little credibility you had left when you argued that reclassified freshman CB Washington's 3 yrs of HS football experience was equal to the 4 yrs of experience the other freshman DB's were coming in with (3 = 4 LOL) THEN you compared him with Kobe Bryant and LeBron James (who also played 4 yrs in HS! LOL)

I can't "step over" my previous posts. They all state facts. Facts don't need a direction. Facts aren't "clever". They are facts that stand on their own. (something else you will learn when you get to HS) I'm glad you remember all of my previous posts. That means 2 things. 1) I must be living in your head and 2) maybe you will learn something about football.

I like how you call other people "wrong" but never say why. I bet you want to be an attorney when you grow up. But 1st you gotta learn 4 is greater than 3. Now go back to the kiddie table and don't bother the adults again.

In the future just avoid reading my posts. I can't dumb them down just for you to try and keep up with.

• Options

LOL...Bless your heart. Good job misrepresenting my comments. Why is being wrong, so threatening to you? Is there a reason you can't face that reality?

Now, if you you have the ability to comprehend what you're reading...and I sincerely hope you do...you know that, what I was saying with regard to Washington, was that he would be 10 times better off in UGA's power 5 developmental program for 1 year....vice 1 more year of HS Football. If you disagree....well, that's on you. You might want to reconsider, but, I've said that about your analysis of Bennett. Maybe you're just not capable of reassessing your position on....I don't know, ANY topic.

Last year, you also sounded like you were JT Daniels Prom date. LOL...JK. Seriously, you were one of his staunchest supporters over playing Bennett. You might want to read an honest assessment of Daniels abilities using actual analytics (provided below).

As you and the rest of us know, UGA has gone to an air-raid style offense. Based on some of the comments I've seen from some fans...and media members...most don't seem to understand what the "air raid style" scheme actually is, or what type of QB is needed to run it. Daniels is NOT the prototype...Bennett IS. That's why he started over Daniels. And, either BVG or Arch Manning is UGA's QB of the future. Both, have those same qualities.

Go to an article written by "The Smoking Musket" (WV's 'Dawg Nation' equivalent) and read the article entitled "A Closer Look at West Virginia's JT Daniels". You'll understand how to actually apply analytics to a QB's projected performance based on peripheral talent. WV, also runs out of the air raid principles offense.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Who said I was wrong? I give you credit 61 you are the master at changing your story from post to post. I think you will be an attorney when you grow up. But as I said I can't dumb down my posts just so you can follow along. Wait a few years and I'm sure logic will begin to be understandable to you.

For anyone else besides 61 reading this: For the record, as I said post 1 about Washington, I love the player and am THRILLED that he chose UGA. I think the sky is the limit for that kid. Him being from GA and the son of a former Bulldog makes it extra sweet. But there is a reason it is irregular to bring in 4 CB's in the same class. When he reclassified we did not know that the 25 limit would be lifted for 2 years. That mitigates the irregularity and allows you to recruit more CB's in this cycle for future use.

No doubt Washington will develop more in yr 1 at UGA than yr 4 in HS. That wasn't what you said. You said he was as ready to contribute NOW as the guys that were older and more experienced. I said UGA (!) would benefit more THIS YEAR by Washington staying in HS than they would with him coming early (and redshirting and riding the bench). The numbers were reported to be tight. That his scholarship could be used more advantageously by someone with experience that could contribute more THIS YEAR. Someone from the TP that could actually play THIS YEAR. But I expect revisionist history from you. It is your MO. I don't expect you to follow scholarship logic. I mean if you can't master 4 is greater than 3 how will you ever master 85 and 25?

Just like SBIV's MO was to come up small in the biggest games (ie vs AL). He did his best Tony "oh no!" Romo impressions throwing more INT's than TD's.. With the help of his team and a couple of near miracles he was able to not lose the game for a team with a generational D. Truth be told the 2 biggest and most miraculous plays SBIV made were recovering 2 of his 3 fumbles. And thankfully 2 of his reckless ("boneheaded" according to CKS) throws fell harmlessly to the turf instead of being picked off (as AL has been able to do it the past). He tried to do his Romo impression and give the game away again but the gods smiled on UGA that day.

I wasn't as sure of JTD choking as I was of SBIV choking. We had seen it before. A generational D, a better team and players making (AD Mitchell's TD) great plays against a depleted opponent was enough to carry SBIV to a CFBNC. SBIV's 2 fumble recoveries (of his own fumbles) were not expected based on previous history and broke the UGA jinx.

• Options
    KeepChoppingKeepChopping Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Thank you too, for being so perfectly illustrative. Enjoy your gatekeeping.

• Options

I keep telling myself to not feed the trolls but the dad, coach, adult, manager, and teacher in me naively thinks I can talk logically with everybody.

The good news about Dawgnation is that there only seems to be 1 troll here. Admittedly some times it is fun to try and impart wisdom upon him and watch the illogic that results.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure where you are coming from…. There seems to be a good mix of differing opinions and thoughtful debate here on DawgNation. I have opinions, some agree with me, some passionately disagree—that is what makes it interesting and fun!

• Options

You didn't answer the question. Does that mean my original assumption was correct? You aren't receptive to differing opinions? Maybe Twitter would be more acceptable to you. I hear they censor opinions that differ from the official narrative. LOL

• Options

You are correct, oh "Great One". LOL. I did indeed, say that Washington could contribute in year 1. He should be able to play in at least 4 games before the end of the year and maintain his ability to red-shirt. He could enter the 2023 season ready to hit the field running. There is no substitute for experience.

As for 2022...you never know how a player will respond. Washington could have a Derek Stingley type, first year. That would be an unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

In any case, UGA needs as many DBs as they can pack into the stables going into each season. This will be true, as long as the current transfer/NIL rules exist. They lose more than their fair share, every year, to the Portal and attrition...not to mention, injury. The defensive backfield has been unstable for a couple of years now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

DB at UGA, in Smart's system, is arguably the toughest position on the field to play, mainly because of all of the nuances and reads that come with each play. If you get it wrong...it results in a TD or big gain (i.e., J Williams TD in the SECCG).

Whether Washington contributes in 2022, or not, is immaterial. He, as you stated, is much better off at UGA, participating in the physical conditioning program, meetings, drills and learning "the system". I'll leave the scholarship management to Smart and the gang. They know what they're doing.

Bennett is no different than any other QB, when it comes to miscues. Young recovered his own fumble at the end of the half in the SECCG. Threw 2 boneheaded interceptions in the CFCCG. Didn't hear you pointing any of that out, when you were singing Young's praises in difference to Bennett's performance. LOL

IMO, you have to take the totality of a QB's attributes, in order to evaluate him. Numbers...statistics...facts, can be manipulated to create a truth that doesn't exist, by simply omitting some facts, while touting others, just to support your opinion or narrative. If you rely entirely on statistics to evaluate & select your QB...well, prepare for disappointment. While statistics are a valid metric and give a pretty good picture of a QB's ability, it is only one angle of perspective. There are other angles to consider, such as, heart, intelligence, physical characteristics, leadership ability, etc..

Considering that...the whole point of playing the game, is to WIN, the QB handles the ball on every play, and there is only 1 QB on the field...a coach has to put a "winner" behind center, and that's not always going to be the guy with the best Stats or metrics. You have to decide if you would rather "Win ****" or "Lose Pretty".

I don't know if you read that article on "The Smoking Musket" website, but, just in case you are having difficulty operating your computer's search engine (JK), I'll post a link right after I post this comment. I thought it was very interesting and you might get something out of it as well

BTW, I wouldn't call Bennett scoring 24 points against a BAMA defense, "coming up small". That being said, those first 2 games against BAMA were definitely not his best. To be fair, the first loss, was only his 3rd or 4th start in an FBS game...against the eventual undefeated 2021 NC. I'm sure nerves and pressure played a big part in his inconsistent performance...not to mention, bad luck. His latest win gave him an enormous jolt of confidence. He'll be entering the 2022 season as a Champion with the wind in his sails, two years experience as a starter under the same OC and a fully loaded offensive weapon (a Howitzer, LOL). Every QB's, Coach's and Fan's dream. Why is everybody fretting??? LOL