Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chaney Debate - Tape Breakdown - Please! I want to hear a defense for this guy.

Comments

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's a difference in your team scoring points through the play calling, or simply scoring because you have some great fb players. When push comes to shove I've seen JC have us in position to fail more times than I'd like. We don't take chances, miss out on targeting our strengths more, and don't adjust offensively to any defensive problem we could see from anybody. If I knew what D you were running consistently; over & over, I bet I could put points up...The point is HOW GOOD we could be if this one area of our gameplan was more aggressive ! And aggressive doesn't mean going deep throwing bombs; but just opening things up and not beating our head on the door drive after drive.

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:
    We should've been averaging 80-90 pts and it's all Chaney's fault. Fat people with power always cultivate laziness in organizations. Smart better watch his weight is all I gotta say, fatness is contagious and that's a pseudo scientific fact.

• Options
    awwfake17awwfake17 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

First of all,
    I dont think he should be fired right now, that's foolish. I explained I don't think he is a long term fit.
    Second of all,
    Instead of looking at results, it's important to watch tape.
    Look, the lack of variability is staggering. It appeared we didn't make any adjustments yesterday.
    More importantly, I would like to get a young quarterback into some higer efficiency pass situations instead of constant 20 yard outs.
    I don't understand the commitment to standard drops if you're going to throw it deep down the field every time.
    PA was effective in influencing defense and gave Fromm his best opportunities but was hardly used.
    Yes, execution could of been better. But, correct schemes and adjustments supplemnt player execution. You have to put players in the right spots.

I dont think he'll be fired because of the results this season and I think we'll suffer for it.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he's not fired after this year then to prevent becoming Muschamp 2.0 he'll have to fire him after next year. But I'm liking the Dan Enos suggestion

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    If he's not fired after this year then to prevent becoming Muschamp 2.0 he'll have to fire him after next year. But I'm liking the Dan Enos suggestion

If it isn't happening this year then it won't happen next year, either. The QB with the high football IQ in his second year along with a more experienced OL(plus Salyer coming in, assuming we have him) will probably cover for some of Chaney's in-game deficits. I'm bearish on Chaney but bullish on our offensive potential in spite of Chaney. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't trust fat people.

I don't know much about Dan Enos except he isn't fat and he was Kirby's first choice. Could somebody give me an idea of what his offense resembles when he has the personnel to execute? I'm fat and lazy so I don't feel like studying it. Just tell me if it looks neat or not.(and if he makes in-game adjustments when chit goes wrong) TIA.

edit:

"I want to give him the doubt but I just don't trust fat people." Imma fking potato today, cant type for chit. thanks Chaney. This is your fault.

Santa will be sad to hear your fat shaming comments.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@NoogaDawg said:
    I'm not on the Fire Jim Chaney train yet because I think he called some great games this year. But he was terrible this game. I agree with everything in that huge post at least as far as how Chaney screwed up in the Auburn game. I felt like I was banging my head against a wall over and over as we ran Chubb up the middle twice and then had an incomplete pass on 3rd down. Im not saying we should fire him but he needs to learn how to adjust when his initial game plan doesn't pan out.

How long has he been an OC. He is not going to learn.

• Options

@Denmen185 said:
    We have averaged 41 points versus the SEC East and only been under 40 once - what is considered good enough if that ain't?

Which sec east team is even a little good.

• Options

That's the really bad part. He isn't going anywhere simply because we have enough talent to win most games. You'll see when we're in another dawgfight how predictable we are.

• Options

Why must Chaney go?
    Because everyone has known this defense was coming and if not this week than certainly against Bama. Yet he arrived unprepared to do anything different. At some point you have to take chances. We allowed Auburn to get the momentum, and our offence never did anything to help get it back. Fromm did everything that was asked of him. It was not his fault. Their dline was killing us and our OC had no idea what to do about it.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

So far not a very good job of defending the OC other then continuity in the coaching staff......pretty sad when that is all ya got

• Options
    madboy76madboy76 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

I know this will repeat some previous points. The problem with our offensive scheme is that (Like Bama) it's predicated on controlling the LOS. We have done that for the most part this year, but Auburn's DL is a different animal. As was stated by Awwfake17, we need to have a series of screens, TE passes, and other plays to take the Defense off of their game. We didn't do that yesterday (or much for the last five years). I don't know if that's Cheney, Smart, a combination, or what. We should have an alternate script titled, "if they stop the run" to be implemented by the third or fourth series which contains several plays designed to get the ball into someones hands quickly and passed the d-line.
    You must adjust to what the opponent is doing unless you are completely dominate at the line. We couldn't dominate Auburn, we wouldn't dominate Bama and probably struggle with any other team should we had made it to the playoffs.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@12ed said:

@dawgnms said:
    So far not a very good job of defending the OC other then continuity in the coaching staff......pretty sad when that is all ya got

This loss had a lot more to do with the LOS than Chaney's uninspired play calling. After the OL cracked we just broke down across the board. Hard for me to single out the OC for this loss and I don't even like Chaney.

Because he’s fat?

• Options
    madboy76madboy76 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

To add another point. We did try a flea flicker at one point which was almost successful. The problem with that is when the defense is getting pressure to the QB, a flea flicker just takes up more time and allows the penetration to get further before your QB has the ball back. It effectively brought some pass coverage up to stop the run, but it didn't give Fromm much time, which is what he really needed. Not a time for that call. Coordinator should be geared to help the QB as much as possible.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:
    Kirby was originally after Dan Enos, if Baldlama is fired then he's free. I looked it up and he isn't fat. Looks potentially charismatic and intelligent. Fire the four-eyed Porkchop not named pittman and hire this man! GATA Kirby.

Also, fire tray scott because I don't like people with two first names

this is quality. well done sir.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VaBeachDawg said:

@12ed said:
    Kirby was originally after Dan Enos, if Baldlama is fired then he's free. I looked it up and he isn't fat. Looks potentially charismatic and intelligent. Fire the four-eyed Porkchop not named pittman and hire this man! GATA Kirby.

Seems hateful and ignorant to me.

• Options

@madboy76 said:
    To add another point. We did try a flea flicker at one point which was almost successful. The problem with that is when the defense is getting pressure to the QB, a flea flicker just takes up more time and allows the penetration to get further before your QB has the ball back. It effectively brought some pass coverage up to stop the run, but it didn't give Fromm much time, which is what he really needed. Not a time for that call. Coordinator should be geared to help the QB as much as possible.

Then what did we do. That was 1st down. 2nd and 17 run up the middle no gain. 3rd does it even matter.

• Options

@donm said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@12ed said:

it made me laugh. i think we all could use a little more laughter on here this week. laughter is the best medicine after all.

• Options

@VaBeachDawg said:

@donm said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@12ed said:

it made me laugh. i think we all could use a little more laughter on here this week. laughter is the best medicine after all.

and it seemed rude and inappropriate. not hateful and ignorant. lets not panic.

• Options

I don't know when it'll be the best time to make a change offensively simply because our talent will put #'s up, and implementing a new system takes time. We're gonna win alot of games simply due to great athletes, recruiting and development. It feels like offensively we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I was a hs quarterback and I've coached hs ball here in Ga. And in no way am I saying I could do any better than JC, because it's not an easy job. So I'm not gonna be that armchair guy. But because you HAVE to scheme and make adjustments to put the O in the best chance for success each drive, we're 9-1 and it has a funny taste to it. CKS HAS changed the culture and what's no longer acceptable. I EXPECT us to win now instead of thinking each week "as long as we do this and this, we'll win." But that can only last for so long when we continue trying to do something that clearly isn't working and not having a plan b or c to go to when needed. When your freshman qb is getting pressured consistently, calling a slow developing play like a flea flicker isn't smart. We are a running team that in a perfect world we could just line up and whip the guy in front of us and mostly dominate like in the 1st 9 games. But as we see that's not gonna cut it each week. HOW we responded Saturday to the defensive changes AU made after a great 1st drive was not good. Just like most teams have the run pass option these days, we need that option as a PHILOSOPHY to be able to adapt and TRY to keep defenses honest. Of course it'll be said that we're 9-1 and it's crazy to want a change in an OC because we were ranked in the top 10 in rushing yards, or over 95% in the red zone. But we have playmakers that make plays.. Our O line is ALOT better than last year even though AU beat us up in the trenches Sat. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. But to be where we wanna be, we can't be so predictable and unimaginative calling plays. If we get beat simply because we lost to a better team, I could deal with it and not have a single issue if we left the field knowing we did all we COULD offensively. Saturday we turned the ball over, had sloppy blocking, tackling and catching; and didn't execute. But to not be prepared and to not make adjustments leaves alot of "what ifs." What if we were more creative in ways to get the ball to our horses? How would the scores during the 9-0 stretch been different if our O was more aggressive? CKS said at the end of the 1st half that we probably should've been more aggressive in our play calling before halftime. What happens when we need points, and fast? I don't care what our OC's name is as long as he's not so vanilla, and unprepared to make adjustments when needed. I'm not saying change what our game plan is weekly. Our ID is running the ball and throwing off of that ability to run. Imo HOW we could be SO much better is the issue. We're not re-inventing the wheel by finding other and more creative ways to keep the chains moving, and putting points on the board.