Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Should we tap the breaks a bit on Zeus?

Comments

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    With the depth we have at running back & Holyfield and Swift poised for breakout years, I think it might just be best to redshirt Zeus.

Agreed

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@andrews1253 said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    With the depth we have at running back & Holyfield and Swift poised for breakout years, I think it might just be best to redshirt Zeus.

Don't think redshirt will help. Zeus will be gone in three years (my armchair crystal ball). Swift and Hollyfield will dictate the offense this year.

I think Holyfield will be good enough it wouldn't be a given White would get more touches even if he's healthy.
    Evander's boy is powerfully built and physically mature, he might be ready to get 20+ touches in some games.

• cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

Wow! That is a great analysis. You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We can all rest assured that Zamir is in the best possible hands with Ron Courson in charge of his rehab. Ron will have him properly rehabbed before he is given a release to play at all and Kirby has the luxury of a great stable of RB talent so there will be no urgency to hurry Zeus into the rotation. I am sure that Zeus will be the one that has to be restrained from rushing things along. That said, I am as anxious as anyone to see him blazing down the field.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:
    I wrote up my thoughts from the medical side of things regarding Zeus and how his injury and subsequent surgery compared to some other UGA backs earlier when he first had his surgery. First, a grade 2 (partial) or grade 3 (complete rupture) is going to require reconstruction for a football player so the recovery process is the same. For a "normal" athletic individual, the rehab process typically takes a full 9-12 months or so depending on rehab protocol used (accelerated (8-9 months) or traditional ~12 months). A major factor impacting (reducing) recovery time is lower extremity strength prior to surgery. I would imagine Zeus has plenty of strength in this leg prior to surgery so he has that on his side. I am not sure aware of what type of graph he had, I would wager it was a bone-patella-bone graph, so that would put an accelerated rehab protocol treatment plan at around 6 months for full speed cutting activity and about 8-9 months for full contact recovery. TLDR if all goes well in rehab and he doesn't suffer any complications, we should be seeing Zeus in pads around camp time or a little after. All ACL reconstruction rehabs are different and it is not advisable to compare one player to another. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Zeus running full straight line speed work around G-Day.

I certainly agree with your analysis. I think it was his great leg strength that helped keep the ligament from being damaged more than it was and, will, as you pointed out, shorten his recovery period.

• KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't believe so many of you are behind redshirting Zeus. He'll be gone after 4 years, much more likely 3, no matter what. There is no reason to redshirt such a great RB unless they simply won't be able to get on the field at all.

Zeus will certainly be in good health and ready to play by the end of the season. Redshirting him would be ****, and Kirby won't do that.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingKirby said:
    Can't believe so many of you are behind redshirting Zeus. He'll be gone after 4 years, much more likely 3, no matter what. There is no reason to redshirt such a great RB unless they simply won't be able to get on the field at all.

Zeus will certainly be in good health and ready to play by the end of the season. Redshirting him would be ****, and Kirby won't do that.

Even CMR, before he lost control of seemingly everything, learned that with Knowshon. With elite players, RS only means you have one less year of them (at least most of them).

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@KingKirby said:

Even CMR, before he lost control of seemingly everything, learned that with Knowshon. With elite players, RS only means you have one less year of them (at least most of them).

Exactly what I was thinking. HS football is so advanced now that elite kids come in to college ready to contribute immediately. Heck, on pretty much any team other than Bama, OSU and UGA, White would already be the undisputed starting RB going in to the 2018 season. The top guys don't need a year or two to grow and learn the playbook. When you have someone who is the #1 player at their position, they do not RS. This is especially true at RB where you might use 4-5 different guys in any game to spread the load. Assuming the season goes as planned, we are going to need every asset at our disposal to beat Bama. I think we can handle the regular season without him, but if we meet Bama in the SECCG or the playoffs, we can't leave anything on the table.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even if Zeus isn't cleared to play until December he'll play in the SECCG.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thehutch40 said:

I remember Todd limping off the field post ACL tear and thinking that the injury couldn't be that bad. It ended up being a tear but he was back full speed by week 5 of the NFL regular season. Not like a bridgewater or latimore tear. This is the same vibe im getting from zeus. Not bad, back to full speed early on next year

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Zamir White is 110% healthy by spring practice. I just do not want to either count on it or hurry him back too early. Georgia is going to be just fine if Zamir does not play in 2018. This is what is meant by Alabama type depth and is what the number 3 and number 1 recruiting classes get you.

• Apaul404Apaul404 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

@pgjackson said:

@Apaul404 said:
    That's right PG, I remember reading that the tear was discovered after the bowling outing when he got it checked as a precaution.... BTW, how the heck are you?> @pgjackson said:

The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

Hey! Doing great! You still in?

Yes sir, just got done recruiting last year. Out here at Pendleton living the good life.

• cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JeffSentell said:
    Prediction:

This thread will eventually produce the same flashback laughs that the "What's wrong with UGA recruiting " thread has garnered on this forum.

It just might even one day spawn a "Looks like the accelerator is stuck" thread regarding Mr. White.

That is what I'm looking for! Thank you, @JeffSentell !